New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Anyone here used the Fringe Benefit Tax Exemption regarding bikes and eBikes?

"Staff discretionary benefit – Bikes, e-bikes, and e-scooters

Government recently passed a tax amendment bill, implemented from 1 April 2023, to provide for FBT exemption on employee work travel options relating to the purchase and use of bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters and public transport. For example, the exemption enables an employer to purchase a bike on behalf of an employee, and then deduct from the employee’s gross salary the cost of the bike. The employee then owns the bike once purchased, as opposed to it remaining a company vehicle.

The bike should be primarily for commuting to work, however, personal use is ok so long as the primary reason for the purchase is for commuting. Note, the exemption doesn’t extend to any accessories, such as helmets, locks, lights etc.

New FBT exemptions for bikes and public transport explained | Tax Alerts - April 2023 | Deloitte New Zealand)."

I see schemes like Work Ride NZ facilitating this for employers and employees.

I'm keen to find out more, as it may be a great way to save on an eBike or commuter.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, the "tax man is coming"

As Team Slowbee slowly starts investing in NZ, we need someone with a bit more tax savvy other than Mr Slowbee and the university of google.

Do you guys have any recommendations for decent tax people? Possibly with experience in running businesses' in foreign countries?

On 3/18/2024 at 5:50 PM, Slowbee said:

Umm, the "tax man is coming"

As Team Slowbee slowly starts investing in NZ, we need someone with a bit more tax savvy other than Mr Slowbee and the university of google.

Do you guys have any recommendations for decent tax people? Possibly with experience in running businesses' in foreign countries?

At first I was about to say "why do you need a tax person, the IRD does all the work for you!", but the I read the second half, and yeah, a lot more complicated than my cookie-cutter tax 

I have some Saffer friends with financial interest still in SA. They're not hubbers, but I can reach out to them and see if they have any trusted consultants or smart advice.

This popped up on my FB feed this morning, as a "memory form 8 years ago"

No photo description available.

Can't believe it's been 8 years since I embarked on my NZ adventure. The photo depicts the novelty of being able to load my bike on a bus as I commute home form work in Christchurch (I was lazy and didn't want to ride up Huntsbury hill, haha)

I hadn't bought a car yet, so buses and/or bikes were my means of getting around.

Fun times, great memories... some nostalgia I need to hold on to and revisit when I start feeling bogged down by the daily grind.

Hi all. A little rant. I feel like my love for mountain biking has slowly died here in Auckland. I felt like biking was just way more fun and accessible in SA, even Johannesburg where I lived. Yes crime was a real bummer... but I loved my mtbing,  whether it be a formal trail like Van Gaalens, or doing the Spruit with some buds, or commuting to work along sidewalks and little green cut through.

It just seems Bleh here... had a bike stolen at the bus station, was taken out by a mom steaming out her driveway to fetch her kids.  On my 3rd bike here in 1.5 years... 

Sure, I enjoy the occasional ride at Woodhill when I get out there. And Riverhead, and Long Bay,  has become a staple ride. But there is a loathing of people on bicycles here, pretty much no sense of community for riding, and I ride alone. Also no events to train for (or I just don't feel like it)... so pretty hard to actually be motivated. In SA I would train for stage races and even short 30 to 40km events like trailseeker,  Magalies, Amohela etc.. 

I got down to Rotorua once in the past year, and enjoyed my ride at the redwoods. But that's like an ultra special occasion... 4 hours away from where I live. 

Sorry, I'm not looking for sympathy,  just felt the need to put it out there and see if anyone has a tip for staying motivated and possibly enjoying mountain biking again.

9 hours ago, ByronH said:

Hi all. A little rant. I feel like my love for mountain biking has slowly died here in Auckland. I felt like biking was just way more fun and accessible in SA, even Johannesburg where I lived. Yes crime was a real bummer... but I loved my mtbing,  whether it be a formal trail like Van Gaalens, or doing the Spruit with some buds, or commuting to work along sidewalks and little green cut through.

It just seems Bleh here... had a bike stolen at the bus station, was taken out by a mom steaming out her driveway to fetch her kids.  On my 3rd bike here in 1.5 years... 

Sure, I enjoy the occasional ride at Woodhill when I get out there. And Riverhead, and Long Bay,  has become a staple ride. But there is a loathing of people on bicycles here, pretty much no sense of community for riding, and I ride alone. Also no events to train for (or I just don't feel like it)... so pretty hard to actually be motivated. In SA I would train for stage races and even short 30 to 40km events like trailseeker,  Magalies, Amohela etc.. 

I got down to Rotorua once in the past year, and enjoyed my ride at the redwoods. But that's like an ultra special occasion... 4 hours away from where I live. 

Sorry, I'm not looking for sympathy,  just felt the need to put it out there and see if anyone has a tip for staying motivated and possibly enjoying mountain biking again.

Yeah, I can understand that. I felt a similar way with Mountain Biking after a year or two.

Its just such an effort to get out and find a place to ride.

Now, I spend more of my time bikepacking on a gravel bike. I find overnighting and getting to cool spots on my gravel bike to be much more aligned with myself at this point in time. Its not racing at all, more like hiking with a bicycle.

14 hours ago, ByronH said:

5 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Yeah, I can understand that. I felt a similar way with Mountain Biking after a year or two.

Now, I spend more of my time bikepacking on a gravel bike. I find overnighting and getting to cool spots on my gravel bike to be much more aligned with myself at this point in time. Its not racing at all, more like hiking with a bicycle.

Yup, the MTB motivation struggle is real.

The best option... leave Auckland! 😅

...I kid, but there's truth in it. Places like Rotorua, Nelson, Queenstown, and my personal favourite  Christchurch, have stronger MTB communities and more accessible trails.

That said, my passion for MTB died when I lived in Christchurch. Not because of any issues previously stated, but because I was lazy and the port hills climbs were killer compared to my low-effort Spruit strolls 😅... so I got into dirt biking and had the time of my life.

But when I moved to Auckland, that died too (and for similar reasons to AKL's MTB shortcomings).

Trails were few-and-far between, often involved a 40min+ commute to them, weren't free, and riding there alone wasn't as fun.

So what do I see as the solution in my case (besides convincing my wife to move to the South Island)... the "the answer may surprise you!" [Classic Clickbait Hook]

... it's an eBike!

Now before you vloek and spit on the floor in disgust,.. hear me out.

Woodhill is fun, but driving when my commute time there and back equates to my riding time, the effort doesn't seem worthwhile.

But if I could ride them hills for 3-4hrs, and relishing the flowy descents, I may find the drive and $15/ride more palatable.

Also nothing like anew toy to motivate one, haha!

Sure, I could improve my fitness and ride longer on my current bike, but getting that time-in-the-saddle while life happens is not that easy, especially when Auckland lacks backyard trails... and I'm not about to go roadie!

15 hours ago, patches said:

Yup, the MTB motivation struggle is real.

The best option... leave Auckland! 😅

...I kid, but there's truth in it. Places like Rotorua, Nelson, Queenstown, and my personal favourite  Christchurch, have stronger MTB communities and more accessible trails.

That said, my passion for MTB died when I lived in Christchurch. Not because of any issues previously stated, but because I was lazy and the port hills climbs were killer compared to my low-effort Spruit strolls 😅... so I got into dirt biking and had the time of my life.

But when I moved to Auckland, that died too (and for similar reasons to AKL's MTB shortcomings).

Trails were few-and-far between, often involved a 40min+ commute to them, weren't free, and riding there alone wasn't as fun.

So what do I see as the solution in my case (besides convincing my wife to move to the South Island)... the "the answer may surprise you!" [Classic Clickbait Hook]

... it's an eBike!

Now before you vloek and spit on the floor in disgust,.. hear me out.

Woodhill is fun, but driving when my commute time there and back equates to my riding time, the effort doesn't seem worthwhile.

But if I could ride them hills for 3-4hrs, and relishing the flowy descents, I may find the drive and $15/ride more palatable.

Also nothing like anew toy to motivate one, haha!

Sure, I could improve my fitness and ride longer on my current bike, but getting that time-in-the-saddle while life happens is not that easy, especially when Auckland lacks backyard trails... and I'm not about to go roadie!

I'm a healthy and capable 27yr old and with the tiny amount of time i have available I've settled that ny next bike is an ebike.

Very probably one of these middle assist ones and probably only 2/3 years but my Fuel ex is the last analogue bike.

I still try and get a weekend ride in most weekends here in Brissie, but it helps that I live next to a trail head (probably hard XC, medium trail, easy enduro type levels).

But on the e-bike thing, I reckon this year is the first time I have noted more e-bikes than normal ones on my trails, the tide has definitely turned. 

Thing I noted is that a few years back, good e-bikes were a huge premium to the manumatic ones. But now, conventional bikes have gotten so expensive, that the cost of the motor is actually not that much more of a step up.

On 3/22/2024 at 5:31 AM, BaGearA said:

I'm a healthy and capable 27yr old and with the tiny amount of time i have available I've settled that ny next bike is an ebike.

Very probably one of these middle assist ones and probably only 2/3 years but my Fuel ex is the last analogue bike.

Also keen on one of the middle-grounders.

If money magically appeared in my account today, the Fuel EXe would be my pick

2024 Trek Fuel EXe 9.7 Electric MTB Deep Smoke

Either that or the new Cannondale Morterra Neo SL, which is a full power, but supposed to be the lightest.

Cannondale Moterra SL im Test: Full Power E-Bike unter 20 Kilo! | BIKE

16 hours ago, patches said:

Also keen on one of the middle-grounders.

If money magically appeared in my account today, the Fuel EXe would be my pick

2024 Trek Fuel EXe 9.7 Electric MTB Deep Smoke

Either that or the new Cannondale Morterra Neo SL, which is a full power, but supposed to be the lightest.

A mate has this Trek, maybe a year old, and I was surprised to learn he was thinking of selling it. I got the impression he is not convinced of long term durability, and wants to pass it on before he invests his own money in fixing it.

I think he also realises he’s maybe underbiked himself. He took it over to South Island a few weeks ago to do the Trans NZ (he is an enduro-bro), and he said it was overly sketchy at times. So maybe he thinks he will be overly demanding of it.

I looked at the Cannondale website after seeing your post. The Neo SL looks OK ( although I don’t trust flexstays), but their full size Morterra’s look butt-ugly with massive motor housings.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:32 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

Some pics of the set up?

One for the “bad” category today. Went for an early ride today in the local forest and was a sweeper for the trails, and did get the odd cobweb to the face.

Stopped off at the end of the ride at the picnic area to munch my trail bar, and realised I had picked up a hitchhiker on my helmet. After dislodging her (pretty sure it’s a Golden Orb, just hasn’t eaten well, they normally have a tubby body) I checked to make sure it was alone. Found the hubby (males are much smaller spiders, no colouring) hiding in a vent. Evicted him as well. 

Noticing a dead juvenile red bellied black snake (pretty venomous) about 5 m away from the picnic table just after this made for the critter trifecta!

52C347A9-AD98-44AD-B50C-0C5E2268611F.jpeg

My in

On 4/1/2024 at 12:13 AM, patham said:

One for the “bad” category today. Went for an early ride today in the local forest and was a sweeper for the trails, and did get the odd cobweb to the face.

Stopped off at the end of the ride at the picnic area to munch my trail bar, and realised I had picked up a hitchhiker on my helmet. After dislodging her (pretty sure it’s a Golden Orb, just hasn’t eaten well, they normally have a tubby body) I checked to make sure it was alone. Found the hubby (males are much smaller spiders, no colouring) hiding in a vent. Evicted him as well. 

Noticing a dead juvenile red bellied black snake (pretty venomous) about 5 m away from the picnic table just after this made for the critter trifecta!

52C347A9-AD98-44AD-B50C-0C5E2268611F.jpeg

My in-laws have a country house in the NSW Southern Highlands. Don't think I've ever visited there and NOT seen a Sydney Funnel-web or 2 😖