Cholesterol

While chatting to the quak last week...he was looking through my file and noticed that i hadnt requested new tablets for high cholesterol (HDL 8.2 and LDL 5.7) since 2013

I "HATE" taking medication...but he indicated that even if i change my lifestyle and get fit the LDL would not improve.

So here is my question...is there a way to reduce my LDL without taking a pill?

I am told that my high  LDL is a family issue passed on...and that the only way to reduce it is to take a pill...there must be a better way....even if it means i must eat cabbage or carrots. 

the other question is where can i have my LDL cholesterol tested without having to sell my bike to pay for the test?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine is an ex marine, fit as a butcher's dog, eats very well (wife's a nutritionist) and has permanently high cholesterol, it's genetic; the only way to control the condition is via medication.

I think he takes one pill a day. It may be two I'm not sure.

As for the test surely your medical will pay: it's life threatening.

Take the medication, it'll stop you having a heart attack or worse.

Not sure if you can lower your LDL without medication. The doc told me last year that I needed to change my diet. He recommended going on a Mediterranean diet, put me on cholesterol meds, and said that I needed to exercise more often.

My cholesterol level was somewhere around 6.9. The last time I checked, it was down to 2.8.

I'm also not a fan of being a pill popper, but I've learned that the doc is usually right.

Are you married? Do you have kids?

If the doctor has told you to take medication, then who are you to argue with him?

Don't take them, satisfy your selfish desire, and bugger up your families lives when you die.

I am 49 and a cholesterol test on 8 January 2015 with the following results: Cholestrol Total: 7.30, LDL: 5.33, HDL 1.82.

I then joined the low carb hype and only 5 weeks later my results were Cholestrol Total: 5.70, LDL: 3.63, HDL: 1.87.

My brother and a friend had the same results.

I know a lot of people is against the low carb hype, but in my experience it definitly improves your Cholestrol count for the better.

the other question is where can i have my LDL cholesterol tested without having to sell my bike to pay for the test?

Dischem nurse does this test. I'm sure it's around 100 ront.

Are you married? Do you have kids?

If the doctor has told you to take medication, then who are you to argue with him?

Don't take them, satisfy your selfish desire, and bugger up your families lives when you die.

hence the thread...just had my dads memorial service 2 days ago...bit of a wake up call...he was a healthy old man (86)...

Slipped and fell...bumped his head...a week later he is no longer with us.

While chatting to the quak last week...he was looking through my file and noticed that i hadnt requested new tablets for high cholesterol (HDL 8.2 and LDL 5.7) since 2013

I "HATE" taking medication...but he indicated that even if i change my lifestyle and get fit the LDL would not improve.

So here is my question...is there a way to reduce my LDL without taking a pill?

I am told that my high  LDL is a family issue passed on...and that the only way to reduce it is to take a pill...there must be a better way....even if it means i must eat cabbage or carrots. 

I have exactly the same. "familial hypercholesterolemia" Diet cannot change this. I am using 10mg Crestor with StatinChoice. I do however half the dose during racing season. Dischem nurse can do a drop test, but it only provides you the overall cholesterol level. You want to know what you bad one is... this is done by a doctor

I'm in the Noakes camp on this high cholestrol debate, in that i agree that high cholestrol of itself is not a problem. Its high cholestrol in conjunction with inflammation that is the problem. So as problem solving goes, attacking one without the other can resolve the issue. However, in this instance, attacking cholestrol alone does not resolve the other problems that inflammation can cause. So the most effective resolution must be in addressing inflammation. This is not the purpose of statins, and this a problem IMHO.

Noake's dietary recommendations offer compelling evidence that it can address this. If its that simple, why spend the money on drugs that often make you feel pretty ill in the process, and drugs which only mitigate one half of a problem, the half that doesn't hold the most resolution value to begin with?

edit: worthwhile quoting what the good Dr keeps saying as well: Banting/LCHF eating regimes are not panaceas.

Edited by Capricorn

I believe there are a few of us "middle aged" fat okes on this forum...with this same problem...i am convinced that there is a healthier way to do things...without taking a hand full of pills as i have done in the past.

A few years ago i had tingling felling in my hand...chest pains...etc...was put on a pile of tablets for a variety of issues...i decided  to take the healthy route...started walking 5 km every morning did a high protein diet for 1 month lost 10 kg...then changed over to weighless and lost another 10 kg...within 6 months i was off all the medication...never had any test done to prove i didnt require them...but just felt good.

i stopped walking...eat junk and turned into a whale.

it seems those issue have come back to haunt me...time to pull finger and fix it.

Went on LCHF and cholesterol is down from 7.2 (Nov 2014) to 5.6 last week. No meds, at 46 I'm still to young for chronic medication.

As I see it you have to make a lifestyle decision. At "middle age", you're still young. Just imagine the health issues you'll have when you are "old age".

a couple of years ago at my dads 75 birthday, I saw all these old oompies and anties with all their krom vingers and health issues and decided there and then this is not how I want te get old.

I want to ride my bike till I'm 100 and beyond- without any pills and pains.

Lost 17kg so far since April and there's no way in hell that I'll go back to my previous lifestyle- not after tasting the good life.

hence the thread...just had my dads memorial service 2 days ago...bit of a wake up call...he was a healthy old man (86)...

Slipped and fell...bumped his head...a week later he is no longer with us.

My condolences.

I tried the Noakes route (LCHF/Banting or whatever the correct term is) twice.

Firstly it made me slower than ever. I was able to ride far but not fast. Even attempted a stage race, which in hindsight was a monumental waste of time and money.

Secondly my cholesterol skyrocketed and my GP was not happy. He strongly advised me to stop it and made it clear that ultimately its my choice but it is his duty as a medical professional to tell me.

I have since changed my diet and now consume around 60% carbs and I have never been faster. Weight is the same as when I was LCHF/Banting. LDL dropped from 5.5 to 3.5 in just under 3 months.

Apparently if high cholesterol is hereditary then meds is the only way to lower it. If not, then you can change your diet. I not keen on meds so I'm trying the diet first and so far so good.

I'm not in the mood to play with my well-being which means I'll listen to my doc.  

Edited by jcza