Price of shock service

osiris

Consider the downside if you dont think preventative maintenance will work for you:

Replacing Stanchions, Bushings, Seals, Dustwipers and all the rest will work out way more expensive than maintaining your equipment.

All of the above can set you back R5k to R6k

attachicon.gifDSC_1093.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1105.jpg

Unfortunantley, I get to see this way too often.

"My fork isnt working anymore, can you fix it?"

You should have handed it to me 3 years ago when it first started acting funny!!

Thats shocking.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A rear shock air can service shouldn't be more than about R800-00 with labour and seals.

A fork 50hr service without any seals needing to be replaced should be about the same as its a little more time consuming removing the foam rings and cleaning the wiper seals.

It gets expensive when you have damaged the inside of the air can and its leaks air after reassembly. IME most people end up in this space due to the use of high pressure washers and strong detergents carrying water into the rear shock, especially those vertically mounted and upside down

Then the price goes up to around R2000 give or take some change.

leave the service too long and the damper oil is affected and the potential for damper shaft damage......

ya well no ja, you're in for half the price of a new rear shock unit.

easy problem to solve, service your kit regularly. Forks have a bit more oil volume in the lowersand easier to get water out quickly but  foam rings and wipers are cheap so just replace. they get hard fro exposure to sunlight and those strong detergents

Seems like a good price. Where did you buy the supplies.

I realize that this is an old post but it came up in a Google search so I thought I would share what I have learned.

I am by no means an expert, I am currently on the first bike that I paid for myself (not mom or dad) so I speak from limited experience but have done some research (because I am a DIY nut and like to be prepared).

I have a RockShox fork and rear shock.

Service prices vary vastly between shops. So phone around and ask before you commit.

RockShox in general has two service intervals, 50 hours (minor) and 200 hours (major).

RockShox specify that with the minor fork service you "clean" the seals and foam rings and reuse them if they are in good nick, even the crush washers can be reused here. Replace only if damaged or in poor condition

RockShox specify for the major fork service, that your replace the seals, foam rings etc. along with a damper and spring service during the major service, more seals, more oil (often different oil in your damper than in the lowers).

Here is where the cost comes in for the rear shock.

RockShox specify that with the rear shock minor service you replace the seals. There is no reuse here.

RockShox specify that with the rear shock major service you replace the seals and do a damper server.

Ultimately a rear shock service works out to be more expensive because when done in accordance to OEM specifications you use more consumables.

I knew that a rear shock would cost more but didn't realize that it would be that much more expensive than a fork. Perhaps I should have gone hard tail....

When I phoned for quotes no one ever asked me what service I need to do The cheapest I got was about R1500 for both fork and shock, from one of the big chains in 2021 so I suppose they know what they do. They all quoted a price for labor and for and seal kit. So I get the feeling that they really just service the air can with seals and the lowers with seals. This means that 3 out of 4 fork services you are over serviced and over changed and one for service you are under serviced and under charged.

A 50 hour fork service may not need anything other than oil, seal lubricant and a cleaning that comes out to about $1.50 (yes, we will never get a quote for this in our beautiful RSA) a 200 hour service comes to about $21.50

A 50 hour service kit for my shock is about $35. and a 200 hour service kit for my shock is about $60.

As you can see a huge different in costs between fork and shock.

My prices are accurate as I have just imported everything I need for 9 fork services (8 minor, 1 major) from the US totaling R1250 including international shipping.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Chrisjanopsyfiets

Seems like a good price. Where did you buy the supplies.

Using the Trailhead section of the SRAM/RockShox page, if you put in your serial number you will get all the exact part numbers for your year model fork, in the documentation.

I ordered from Amazon and registered an address in the US using a company called MyUS.com This allows you to buy from companies that do not do International Shipping.

Also checkout https://www.worldwidecyclery.com. They seem to have it all and their kits include everything you need, the right amount of oil, lubricant and seals. (I ordered seals, oils lubricant separately) (Also have a YouTube channel with the same name)

• 2 years later...
42 minutes ago, Fred Seymour said:

Hi is there someone in or around pretoria area who can service an lefty front shock

Depends if you have a lefty ocho or a 2.0 or other older lefty. From my understanding only the ocho is serviceable these days since they no longer make service kits for the old ones. I know a few people who sold their bikes with older lefty’s because of this (myself included) 

Edited by Scott roy

Fork and shock service prices at a Specialized LBS in lala land…. Some perspective

Took my EVO in for a service because the brain rockshock was bouncing like a pogo stick and making a squishy sound when it should be locked out, also asked them to service the Fox fork

3 weeks later:

• Rear Shock replaced with an exchange unit
  • Fork lubrication service

Cost for just the above = CHF 326.00  x 20 (ROE) ZAR = 6’520.00

*Includes labor to remove and install both 🤣

16 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Depends if you have a lefty ocho or a 2.0 or other older lefty. From my understanding only the ocho is serviceable these days since they no longer make service kits for the old ones. I know a few people who sold their bikes with older lefty’s because of this (myself included) 

Droo at Stoke in Woodstock serviced and repaired a 10 year old Lefty of mine  am sure there are other guys as well . 

21 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

My go to guy with anything suspension related, probably had about 30 Forks/shocks serviced by @jakes1001 Amazing service.

Thanks

On 6/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, Fred Seymour said:

Hi is there someone in or around pretoria area who can service an lefty front shock

I've taken my lefty to https://www.cogentindustries.co.za/
They are in Garsfontein, Pretoria.

Very knowledgeable and helpful and service was done in 2 days.