Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

just did the health test, first time everything is within range. 25000 points in the bag.

9600 to get to move to Diamond next year.

one major, one minor. Maxed health as well as fitness tests4ccf3e003b89530594c02b7406f8e54a.jpg

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another query with them - my gym booster cash back is also less that what the gym is charging me. Seems the annual increase is the reason.

Makes me wonder how many others just accept whatever is given to them.

Remember it's due in the month following that on which you pay, so it's probably going to increase with Feb's payment to you.

Nope, after finding the email from VA, the increase was in October.

I'm not going to chase them for back payments, but rather to ensure they correct it and it remains correct for the future. If they decide to reimburse from October, bonus.

Bah. Well, good on you for following through on it.

I usually start my message with "Hi Discovery", but this time I started it with "Hi, me again".

I hope they appreciate my dry sense of humour, among all the moans and groans they seem to be getting.

Seems all three of us were confused - Discovery Vitality (DV), Virgin Active (VA) and me:

• VA - the increase was effective from 01-Jan, not in October like the operator mentioned;
  • DV - assuming I had other benefits added onto the base membership (v-club, v-max);
  • Me - as you (Myles) correctly pointed out, the cashback will increase from Feb. I thought it was an error from October, assuming the increase was from 01-Oct.

Now to get 3 other queries resolved (they have no record of my shoe purchase, despite me sending the receipt with HealthyGear card number showing on the receipt). Still waiting for my welcome email from Team Vitality (running), and an Insure query (eye-gym shows complete but the system is not picking it up.

Any "online" assessments (accept your virtual age or some crap they call it) that one can do to up the points?

Or is everything this year based on paying someone to tell you, you are fit?

Any "online" assessments (accept your virtual age or some crap they call it) that one can do to up the points?

ONLY the vitality age thingamabob / online fitness assessment thing

Edited by Myles Mayhew

ONLY the vitality age thingamabob / online fitness assessment thing

Thanks Myles.

Now to convince my Mrs to get rid of the gym membership so that this Vitality thing can die a fast death.

They removed everything except the health quiz.

Thanks Myles.

Now to convince my Mrs to get rid of the gym membership so that this Vitality thing can die a fast death.

My wife missed her 36 visists, so probably going to kull her membership. Its just been tricky with her being prego. 

I use it a lot for the showers

On the Shoe Booster story, if you want shoes that are more than R2000, do they still pay you back on the value of R2k, and you basically incur the additional cost...?

Sportsmans must have a blind person choosing their colour options for them.

I want Nike Vomero 12's (R2100 from them, sub 2k at Totalsports and many other places). SW only has them in a lovely avocado green colour. Who the hell buys avo green shoes...?!

How about a simple black n white option...?

On the Shoe Booster story, if you want shoes that are more than R2000, do they still pay you back on the value of R2k, and you basically incur the additional cost...?

snip, snip, snip

I paid R2300 for my shoes, but they have no record of me buying the shoes, so I can't give you an answer now.

As soon as they resolve my query (3-5 working days from 01-Feb), I can hopefully give you feedback.

From what I've seen, it is supposed to be R2000 max on the 75% portion (shoe booster cash back amount), that means R2666.66 * 75% = R2000.

Then divided by 12 months = R166.66 cash back every month.

I paid R2300 for my shoes, but they have no record of me buying the shoes, so I can't give you an answer now.

As soon as they resolve my query (3-5 working days from 01-Feb), I can hopefully give you feedback.

From what I've seen, it is supposed to be R2000 max on the 75% portion (shoe booster cash back amount), that means R2666.66 * 75% = R2000.

Then divided by 12 months = R166.66 cash back every month.

Aaah, 75% on the shoe portion being 2k max, gotcha. Cool, keep us posted. 

My bio said I could arrange to do the higher assessment anytime if I wanted to, having just done the standard one (as you need to do the standard one to get enough points allocation and then meet other certain time criteria)... if I needed the points I said I would be back which I don't .... If you are active, healthy and do all the other points allocation... none of us will need to do the high performance assessment to get the points and get to gold.  To me is just a waste of money paying for it.

EDIT: have just rechecked the criteria and they have changed since first published, one of the criteria was to run a half marathon in 2:30hrs (easy enough to do and which I would have qualified with)... now it has changed to 1:40hrs  :eek: (even the marathon has changed from 4:30hrs to 3:30hrs)

https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/vitality_high_performance_fitness_assessment.pdf

Yoh, was not expecting that.. Is the 947 the only qualifying criteria in the 90-99km road race?

I'm a pretty solid rider but I've never achieved a sub 2h45 947, but have done multiple sub 2h30 90-99km races. 

That running though!  :eek:

Aaah, 75% on the shoe portion being 2k max, gotcha. Cool, keep us posted. 

Here is the black 'n white from their website - which is how I explained it, which I hope is correct:

The maximum amount that will qualify for Shoe Booster cash back is R2 000. Any amount that you spend over this will not qualify for cash back with Shoe Booster.
  • Your cash back is made up of up to 25% cash back on your HealthyGear benefit, plus the up to 75% cash back that you can earn by achieving your Vitality Active Rewards goals over a period of 12 consecutive months.
    • Your Shoe Booster cash back is calculated at 75% of the purchase price of your shoes to a maximum of R2 000, divided by 12 months over which you receive your cash back.
  • Check your Activity history on the Discovery app to track how many goals you have achieved in a month.

• The month after you bought your shoes will be the first month that your goal achievement counts towards your 75% Shoe Booster cash back. If you activate Shoe Booster and buy your new shoes in January 2017, February’s goals will be the first to count towards your Shoe Booster cash back.

My scenario:

As a family member, I've decided not to pay R750 for two Fitness assessments, just to score an extra 10% on the HealthyGear card cashback - seems stupid to pay R300 (to activate) + R750 (fitness test) to gain back R230. So my HealthyGear card cash back amount is only 15% of the shoe purchase price.

• R2300 x 15% = R   345.00
  • R2300 x 75% = R1,725.00 / 12 = R143.75

This is what I expect to get back, based on meeting my weekly goals. As they haven't acknowledged the purchase of the shoes, I'm not sure when my first "month" starts. Ideally it should have been this week as it's the first week of February (04-10 Feb), resulting in 4 weeks in February and a cash back payment in March.

Yoh, was not expecting that.. Is the 947 the only qualifying criteria in the 90-99km road race?

I'm a pretty solid rider but I've never achieved a sub 2h45 947, but have done multiple sub 2h30 90-99km races. 

That running though!  :eek:

Surely you've finished an MTB event quicker than the times listed below?

Mountain biking - Males
Race distance - Qualifying time
90km and more - 5 hours and 30 minutes
55km to 89km - Less than 3 hours and 30 minutes
40km to 54km - Less than 2 hours and 30 minutes

Do I need to take the whole family to do the Dischem thing, before I qualify for the full 25% cash back on healthy gear @ sportsmans?

Surely you've finished an MTB event quicker than the times listed below?

Mountain biking - Males
Race distance - Qualifying time
90km and more - 5 hours and 30 minutes
55km to 89km - Less than 3 hours and 30 minutes
40km to 54km - Less than 2 hours and 30 minutes

After having recently coming out as a multi sport participant  :P , MTB race distances have primarily been less than 40km. Did my first >60km race at Fast One, which was a fair bit under the required 3h30.