Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I have a question regarding the active rewards story. 

So, all the rewards (shoe boosters, watch boosters, gym boosters etc) are based on achieving a weekly goal of X amount of points, in order for the benefits to "pay out".

I'm on the Endurance & High Performance scheme, so have a fixed points goal of 1200 per week. Most weeks I'm at almost 2000 points or more, (Some even over 3000 if I've run a marathon etc).

Last week i had a bit of an ITB strain, and was only able to get 700 points, missing my goal.

Now, surely the fact that one is generally surpassing the points goal by quite a margin on a weekly basis, should count for something, and in a week where you're injured or ill, some sort of leeway should be granted.

So if my points goal is 4500 points a month (1200 x 4), and I'm off for a few days in one week, but I'm still close to 6000 or more points for the month, should i be penalized...?

I understand it's "Weekly" goals, but surely if the billing runs monthly, then they could look at your points over the month...?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

They called me back a few minutes ago to apologise for the delay, and to advise that the cash back has been paid. I then took the opportunity to query the terms of the 25% cash back, with your reply fresh in my mind.

In short, they explained that the shoe booster rewards doesn't fall under the normal cash back loyalty program when using the HealthyGear card at Sportsmans Warehouse - it's a standalone loyalty rewards item. A number of people were (and still are) getting confused (not only me) as they were also expecting up to 25% of the purchase value of the shoes, and then the 75% of R2000. 

The can't stop saying they are sorry for the inconvenience - even though I know I was wrong.

I was under the same impression as you and really don't understand why it does not qualify for the full discount as per the HealthyGear card, but it is what it is...

So, all the rewards (shoe boosters, watch boosters, gym boosters etc) are based on achieving a weekly goal of X amount of points, in order for the benefits to "pay out".

I'm on the Endurance & High Performance scheme, so have a fixed points goal of 1200 per week. Most weeks I'm at almost 2000 points or more, (Some even over 3000 if I've run a marathon etc).

Last week i had a bit of an ITB strain, and was only able to get 700 points, missing my goal.

Now, surely the fact that one is generally surpassing the points goal by quite a margin on a weekly basis, should count for something, and in a week where you're injured or ill, some sort of leeway should be granted.

So if my points goal is 4500 points a month (1200 x 4), and I'm off for a few days in one week, but I'm still close to 6000 or more points for the month, should i be penalized...?

I understand it's "Weekly" goals, but surely if the billing runs monthly, then they could look at your points over the month...?

Short answer - No. 

They're weekly goals. Even though you have an ITB strain you can still do other stuff at the gym. If there's a broken bone or you undergo surgery, THEN you can attempt to get a reprieve for a couple weeks by emailing Vitality together with proof of the procedure you underwent, and get it suspended for a while. 

Otherwise - suck it up, cupcake. :P 

Slightly shorter answer - there should be for things that legitimately prevent you from doing any exercise at all. But it's at their own discretion. 

I am with you 100% I have been thinking the same thing. I suffer from migraines which leave me unable to exercise or function for 3 days (on average). Trying to keep up with my 900 point weekly goal is near impossible if I have a migraine. But it is possible that the reason they do this is because they know that not everyone can maintain the points and so they don't have to reimburse as much.

I was on the way to work this morning and was siting in the traffic minding my own business and a Polo decided to create a Polo -Honda - Merc Sandwich. 

I am ok, just a headache. Discovery has been incredible. 

As soon as the dust had settled and I had pulled over, the phone rang with discovery on the line asking if I was ok. They are alerted with the disco track thing. I told them I am ok but the car is in need of a tow. They told me what photos I needed and chatted to me to make sure I was calm. 

By the time I had taken all the photos and moaned about my smashed up bike rack. A dude arrived with a golf cap on, greeted me by name and said everything will be alright and he will handle it from here. Made sure i had all the details, helped empty my car into the wife's car. (Was only 1km from home) He then liaised with flat bed to pick me up. He also stepped in and shooed away the vultures that arrived in their tow truck bakkies. 

The dude that hit me must have had a brain fart, I don't think he was on his phone. I couldn't even find my phone as I keep it out of hands reach and it had been thrown around in accident. The police were quick and painless.

I am hoping they can fix the car as I just had it serviced, new tyres and brakes. :P

I was able to use some of the "cash back on petrol" to half my excess as well. The entire incident has been submited via the app and really happy with discovery.

I guess I am a bicycle commuter for a while now. Positive side I guess. 

Sho! I am sorry to hear about the metal sandwich, but it is great that you experienced such amazing service from Discovery. That is super impressive :thumbup:

Short answer - No.

They're weekly goals. Even though you have an ITB strain you can still do other stuff at the gym. If there's a broken bone or you undergo surgery, THEN you can attempt to get a reprieve for a couple weeks by emailing Vitality together with proof of the procedure you underwent, and get it suspended for a while.

Otherwise - suck it up, cupcake. :P

Slightly shorter answer - there should be for things that legitimately prevent you from doing any exercise at all. But it's at their own discretion.

Yeah, the 700 points I did manage to get were from going to the gym, unfortunately, card swipes only get you so far. And thats because I'm a member at Virgin. What if I was not, like last month...?

Relieved to hear the positive about Discovery Insure because ive just changed my car and my daughters car over to them because of that ad on tv.

I also received a call while driving a dodge dirt road. Hit a fairly biggish hole and triggered the feature.

They were very happy that I was ok 

Yeah, the 700 points I did manage to get were from going to the gym, unfortunately, card swipes only get you so far. And thats because I'm a member at Virgin. What if I was not, like last month...?

This is why people do the park runs/walks and get a fitbit/apple watch to log steps... which will get them 300 for the walk and the fitbit/apple watch will hopefully make up the remainder as most of these people are likely only on 600 points

This is why people do the park runs/walks and get a fitbit/apple watch to log steps... which will get them 300 for the walk and the fitbit/apple watch will hopefully make up the remainder as most of these people are likely only on 600 points

I have to say, since I've gotten my Garmin watch it's been much less effort to get my goals. I have a guaranteed 350 minimum points just from steps each week.

I could think of nothing worse than a call centre calling me about an event that happened in my car.

As for the DQ points and 50% of your petrol back scam.

I tried Disco Insurance. After 2 months of getting R40 back on my fuel I had a tyre fail. Not covered. Went back to Alexander Forbes. Since then I've had 2 tyres incidents. Both replaced with a small excess. At R4,500 a tyre that alone is worth not getting a smoothie for safe driving.

So, I had a chat to my momentum insurance champion this morning on the ride, because I can prove and police statement that the Polo caused the accident. Going to claim under the dudes 3rd party. 

Man, so many school fees to learn with insurance.

Also going to submit my claim for the bike rack he rammed up my rear!

I could think of nothing worse than a call centre calling me about an event that happened in my car.

As for the DQ points and 50% of your petrol back scam.

I tried Disco Insurance. After 2 months of getting R40 back on my fuel I had a tyre fail. Not covered. Went back to Alexander Forbes. Since then I've had 2 tyres incidents. Both replaced with a small excess. At R4,500 a tyre that alone is worth not getting a smoothie for safe driving.

So when you are lying knocked out in a ditch, how will Alexander forbes know to come save your life?

Not everything is about smoothies. :P

We get around R700 back on fuel a month, so thats all 4 tyres on my car in a year. :)

So when you are lying knocked out in a ditch, how will Alexander forbes know to come save your life?

Not everything is about smoothies. :P

We get around R700 back on fuel a month, so thats all 4 tyres on my car in a year. :)

Same way they always have.

The whole experience on being promised up to R800 a month back on fuel and getting R40 really put me off them forever.  The small print was just to small to bother about.

AF have looked after me really well overall for 20 years, I'm happy to pay a slight premium for first class service. When I had a home invasion they settled in a few days, when my bike was stolen in France it took 4 days from claim to be sorted.

But I do accept that when it's not hidden in the small print Disco CAN offer a great service. Just not for me on insurance.

If one reads the terms properly, it clearly indicates that the "up to 50% of fuel spend" is not possible in the first year - and without spending anything on the advanced courses (Eye-Gym and Driving course). As with the Vitality Active Rewards incentives, people are inclined to think they automatically qualify for the best possible discount without reading/researching first.

To get 50% back, one needs to hit the 1600 DQ points mark, and for that it requires the usual "spend your own money". The yellow highlights is immediate (almost from month 1), while the blue is based on the number of years that is claim free. The red asterisks is where spending money is required. 

• So that's up to 1100 in the first quarter (providing you drive Ms Daisy);
    • Another 50 on top of that once goals are set - 1150;
    • Another 25 after 1 year of no claims - 1175;
    • Another 75 after 2 years of no claims - 1250;
    • Another 200 after 3 years of no claims - 1450. 
  • That leaves 150 points short to get to 1600 points (providing one drives Ms Daisy, and has an impeccable record - which I don't and neither does the wife). 

Before that, the household insurance needs to be above R250k, and you have to take your car to TWT for the annual inspection. For the rest, it's fairly simple.

Here’s a summary of your DQ Points-earning activities:

post-1372-0-25456700-1489497012_thumb.png

• I'm paying less than I was with me previous insurer, and getting more benefits than before;
  • The cash back is a bonus - I'm currently getting 12-18% of my fuel spend back - in actual monetary term, it's closer to 25-35% of my monthly insurance premiums. That means I could request a better package and pay more, and still pay less than what I was getting previously.