Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I just received a mail congratulating me on doing a wellness day thing. Unfortunately they input my weight and height as the same figure.... So I'm a 172cm guy weighing 172kgs!  :clap:

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received a mail congratulating me on doing a wellness day thing. Unfortunately they input my weight and height as the same figure.... So I'm a 172cm guy weighing 172kgs!  :clap:

Your BMI must be impressive  :w00t:  

This has probably been discussed before , but here goes anyhow.

I need another 4000 points to get to gold , my fitness points are maxed out.

I need to find ways to get those 4000 points.

I have done the online the online age and health questionnaires.

I have done the weight and BMI health check.

I see I can get points getting the flu shot , but I have not had flu in years , so I do not see the need .

I cannot do any of the fitness assessments , because I have reached my max fitness points !!!

Does anyone have any ideas ... :eek:

Quite honestly , I feel that this maximum fitness level for the year should be re-assessed.

Once you reach it , all you have to look forward to is a coffee once a week at Kauai ,BIG WHOOP !!

Quick 5min eye test will get you some points too

Can one of the clever people please help me understand my point allocation...

I understand that I reached limits for certain types of activities (month/year limit), and that points will be allocated to the higher points activity for the day.

As I understand it (from the attached points monitor for 16/06:

- Steps will be superseded by other HR-based activity (60-69%), for which I have reached my limit.

- Why don't I then receive the lower value activity for the day? (E.g. Gym visits)

Currently I only get points for:

- >60min above 70% HR

- Gym visits (if I do not record any other 'higher' activity for the day).

Surely if I have reached the limits for the higher points category, the lower category should automatically apply?

post-61730-0-23997000-1561096951_thumb.png

regardless of the category you will always be allocated the higher off the day. If you've reached the limit for that category it counts towards the weekly goal but not overall.

Discovery don't distinguish and won't drop to the lesser activity for the day to give you points.

Edited by mon-goose

regardless of the category you will always be allocated the higher off the day. If you've reached the limit for that category it counts towards the weekly goal but not overall.

Discovery don't distinguish and won't drop to the lesser activity for the day to give you points.

Thank you for the feedback.

I find that really silly. Now I will need to actually do less activity (only scan in at the gym, and not record any exercise) to increase my overall points.

I need a couple of thousand points to reach gold again, but currently only get 300 points once a week for a long session.

Thank you for the feedback.

I find that really silly. Now I will need to actually do less activity (only scan in at the gym, and not record any exercise) to increase my overall points.

I need a couple of thousand points to reach gold again, but currently only get 300 points once a week for a long session.

There is a difference between Yearly points (30 000) and Weekly points.

The higher of your daily points (300 for teh hour workout at 70% HR vs 100 for your gym visit) goes towards your Yealy and Weekly totals.

When you reach your cap of yearly points then you are done on that part. Your weekly totals still carry on, 300 or 100 points whichever is greater.

3 x gym workouts will be 3x300 (HR monitor) or 3x100 (gym swipe only). No HR monitor means 3x100 points per gym visit only.

This has probably been discussed before , but here goes anyhow.

I need another 4000 points to get to gold , my fitness points are maxed out.

I need to find ways to get those 4000 points.

I have done the online the online age and health questionnaires.

I have done the weight and BMI health check. 

I see I can get points getting the flu shot , but I have not had flu in years , so I do not see the need . 

I cannot do any of the fitness assessments , because I have reached my max fitness points !!! 

Does anyone have any ideas ...  :eek:

Quite honestly , I feel that this maximum fitness level for the year should be re-assessed.

Once you reach it , all you have to look forward to is a coffee once a week at Kauai ,BIG WHOOP !!

Not the question, but that's not how flu shots work! Always worth going for the flu shot for a more versatile immune system

There is a difference between Yearly points (30 000) and Weekly points.

The higher of your daily points (300 for teh hour workout at 70% HR vs 100 for your gym visit) goes towards your Yealy and Weekly totals.

When you reach your cap of yearly points then you are done on that part. Your weekly totals still carry on, 300 or 100 points whichever is greater.

3 x gym workouts will be 3x300 (HR monitor) or 3x100 (gym swipe only). No HR monitor means 3x100 points per gym visit only.

I get the difference between the weekly and yearly points.

My issue is that I have apparently reached the limit for the specific HR range workouts.  Those workouts would have given me 5 sessions x200 points per week (HR monitor), but without the HR monitor (only swiping at the gym), I would at least get 5 x100 points per week.  Now I get nothing.

I would have just though that Discovery would at least allocate points automatically in the lesser category if one has already reached the limits for the higher categories.

Quick 5min eye test will get you some points too

You have to be 60 years or older to get Vitality points for the glaucoma test (this may be yet another sneaky change from last year?)

You have to be 60 years or older to get Vitality points for the glaucoma test (this may be yet another sneaky change from last year?)

I got points last year or the year before (definitely not above 60), maybe it's changed?

I got points last year or the year before (definitely not above 60), maybe it's changed?

A google search shows age 40 as the limit, but once you click on the link it says 60. It must be a recent change that google hasn't picked up yet.

I get the difference between the weekly and yearly points.

My issue is that I have apparently reached the limit for the specific HR range workouts.  Those workouts would have given me 5 sessions x200 points per week (HR monitor), but without the HR monitor (only swiping at the gym), I would at least get 5 x100 points per week.  Now I get nothing.

I would have just though that Discovery would at least allocate points automatically in the lesser category if one has already reached the limits for the higher categories.

There is a cap on points allocated for the 60-69%HR bracket (1,000 per year) same as there are for steps below 10,000 per day. 

This will not affect your ability to earn points for VAR purposes, just your annual Vitality points.

All those things you've listed in the screenshot have an allocation of 50 or 100 points. 

See here:

https://new.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/vitality_news/vitality_fitness_points_table.pdf

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

There is a cap on points allocated for the 60-69%HR bracket (1,000 per year) same as there are for steps below 10,000 per day. 

This will not affect your ability to earn points for VAR purposes, just your annual Vitality points.

All those things you've listed in the screenshot have an allocation of 50 or 100 points. 

See here:

https://new.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/vitality_news/vitality_fitness_points_table.pdf

Thank you.

Their HR based targets/times are very difficult for me to achieve; but I don't want to turn this into a discussion around the merits of '220-age' again...

I guess I'll just have to become more clever in my approach to try and get annual points.

Hi Bertus

You’ve proven your commitment to good health through your Vitality status, and we’d like to reward you by inviting you to experience our world-first behavioural bank today! Your Discovery Card will move across to Discovery Bank and you’ll receive a new Discovery Platinum Card​.

Finally.

It's their financial year end coming up (end-June), so I suspect that must be one of the reasons for the limited number of accounts being migrated.