Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Yeah. No way am I driving to the gym to swipe just to get points and then leaving.

You will make a plan when you have the Apple Watch and Shoe/Device Booster active. Meeting the goal means no deduction (watch) or full cash-back (shoe/device booster) for the month.

I have been sick (enough to not risk training) twice in the last three years. A ParkRun and daily gym swipes was only required for three weeks in the entire three year period. So it’s not a weekly thing of swiping at the gym, but once in a very long time.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I get that. Doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass when all my other accounts are on a postal address.

I've gone and updated one of my accounts, but now the app doesn't work.

Fun.

I’m sure a lot of people would agree that their website and app fall well below par.

I’m sure a lot of people would agree that their website and app fall well below par.

I've finally managed to get my stuff sorted out. New card is on the way, already on Silver Vitality Bank status (whatever that means). App is REALLY not great though.

I've finally managed to get my stuff sorted out. New card is on the way, already on Silver Vitality Bank status (whatever that means). App is REALLY not great though.

Yeah, that thing is horrible, I can only imagine was piss poor manager is making that dev team suffer. I figured out why mine kept crashing, they hard codex chrome as the browser for the authentication and I disable chrome on my device.

Yeah, that thing is horrible, I can only imagine was piss poor manager is making that dev team suffer. I figured out why mine kept crashing, they hard codex chrome as the browser for the authentication and I disable chrome on my device.

Hah, mine wouldn't start up over Wifi (which was working perfectly fine) and would only work on cellular. This is after I spent ages on the phone with a consultant, uninstalling the app, deleting cache, bla bla bla.

At least some of you have been able to open an account... I'm still waiting. Hopefully they open the doors to all next week (new financial year).

Also still waiting, even though they told me in May my bank account would open shortly!

Just chipping in here to say that the past 6 months without Vitality has been liberating.

IMO Vitality does very little for the person who is already active and chasing personal performance goals.

The admin of trying to play within the system to get the full benefit just became too much and now I don't stress when I get sick, but I rather just take a week or two off which is best for my health and then start building again (with two kids under 4yo this happens allot :) )

It is a great system to get lazy people off their couch and moving, but it wasn't worth it for me personally once my own motivation was there.

I take that R350 odd membership fee every month and spend it on what I want to... Saving for 5-8 months means a new set of running shoes.

Just chipping in here to say that the past 6 months without Vitality has been liberating.

IMO Vitality does very little for the person who is already active and chasing personal performance goals.

The admin of trying to play within the system to get the full benefit just became too much and now I don't stress when I get sick, but I rather just take a week or two off which is best for my health and then start building again (with two kids under 4yo this happens allot :) )

It is a great system to get lazy people off their couch and moving, but it wasn't worth it for me personally once my own motivation was there.

I take that R350 odd membership fee every month and spend it on what I want to... Saving for 5-8 months means a new set of running shoes.

With regard to your IMO, am very active person, train pretty much every day and have no problem hitting the goals or training and racing in my zones/program irrespective of what Vitality wants.

So much so that am currently on 185 consecutive weeks, in that time, had numerous holidays, 2 ITB running injuries, a broken collar bone and probably numerous man flu's

I don't even stress about hitting my goals each week as is done by the latest Tuesday and don't even stress when sick or injured as there are ways and means to keep my extensive weekly tally going.  I know Frosty is the same as he is also on a similar number of consecutive weeks.

I don't pay for running shoes as get them through the shoe booster.  I pay very little for flights to my races as I book far enough in advance that can claim the the maximum back with the flight booster.  In fact Vitality pay me to fly as I pay for my flights with Discovery miles and Vitality give me cash back to spend on whatever I want, usually a second pair or running shoes as I go through 2 pairs a year due to mileage.

With that many consecutive weeks I have been on diamond status for many years so also get 35% back on international flights, car hire etc.... a nice little saving!

I pay nothing for my gym membership as Vitality refund me the discount fee and get cash back on healthy food, sports equipment and clothing etc.

Added to that every Wednesday I get to have a bit of fun and play the board for cash points which I redeem once the pot of cash has built up to a voucher value worth spending on, else the other half gets a nice treatment morning at Sorbet with the voucher.

Personally my own motivation for a healthy lifestyle and training is to be better in my races or push myself in certain endurance events.  Vitality has nothing to do with it, they just reward me for doing what I would be doing anyway and I never stress about it as there is minimal to no admin for me in all this time.  Train, upload to garmin, everything else seamlessly works in the background.... then just collect the rewards :)

With regard to your IMO, am very active person, train pretty much every day and have no problem hitting the goals or training and racing in my zones/program irrespective of what Vitality wants.

So much so that am currently on 185 consecutive weeks, in that time, had numerous holidays, 2 ITB running injuries, a broken collar bone and probably numerous man flu's

I don't even stress about hitting my goals each week as is done by the latest Tuesday and don't even stress when sick or injured as there are ways and means to keep my extensive weekly tally going. I know Frosty is the same as he is also on a similar number of consecutive weeks.

I don't pay for running shoes as get them through the shoe booster. I pay very little for flights to my races as I book far enough in advance that can claim the the maximum back with the flight booster. In fact Vitality pay me to fly as I pay for my flights with Discovery miles and Vitality give me cash back to spend on whatever I want, usually a second pair or running shoes as I go through 2 pairs a year due to mileage.

With that many consecutive weeks I have been on diamond status for many years so also get 35% back on international flights, car hire etc.... a nice little saving!

I pay nothing for my gym membership as Vitality refund me the discount fee and get cash back on healthy food, sports equipment and clothing etc.

Added to that every Wednesday I get to have a bit of fun and play the board for cash points which I redeem once the pot of cash has built up to a voucher value worth spending on, else the other half gets a nice treatment morning at Sorbet with the voucher.

Personally my own motivation for a healthy lifestyle and training is to be better in my races or push myself in certain endurance events. Vitality has nothing to do with it, they just reward me for doing what I would be doing anyway and I never stress about it as there is minimal to no admin for me in all this time. Train, upload to garmin, everything else seamlessly works in the background.... then just collect the rewards :)

Cool, happy it works for you. Each person will have their own set of circumstances.

In my case I have a family that is not pulling their weight in reaching the required goals and thus fell down to Silver, where the rewards are allot less for the effort.

Did the math on my actual cost vs benefit for the year and it worked out much better to switch to FNB with ebucks.

Each person needs to check their own cost vs benefit.

I was just trying to point out to the people that there is life outside of Vitality. You don't have to jump through new hoops every 12 months and try to figure out what rules they have changed and what the fine print says in each section.

Has anyone got vitality points for CPR?

I did my BLS/ALS/PALS (which includes CPR) some time ago, but have not received points yet.

The website indicates that points are allocated automatically via the SA Resus Council.

Anyone know of a way to claim the points manually?

I did my BLS/ALS/PALS (which includes CPR) some time ago, but have not received points yet.

The website indicates that points are allocated automatically via the SA Resus Council.

Yes got points for cpr

Just submit the certificate to discovery, then you receive the points

Did you get confirmation of having done the course? If so, send to info@vitality.co.za with your member number in the subject line and they'll allocate for you. 

Did you get confirmation of having done the course? If so, send to info@vitality.co.za with your member number in the subject line and they'll allocate for you.

Thanks! I’ll submit the docs to that address.

Cool, happy it works for you. Each person will have their own set of circumstances.

In my case I have a family that is not pulling their weight in reaching the required goals and thus fell down to Silver, where the rewards are allot less for the effort.

Did the math on my actual cost vs benefit for the year and it worked out much better to switch to FNB with ebucks.

Each person needs to check their own cost vs benefit.

I was just trying to point out to the people that there is life outside of Vitality. You don't have to jump through new hoops every 12 months and try to figure out what rules they have changed and what the fine print says in each section.

I find bribery works for my other half to get to gold, She does all the online, health and fitness assessments, dentist, smears and mammogram which gets her up to about 35,000 or so.  The target is only 10,000 or less which now does not then look so big.... then the bribery of a spar, weekend away or something comes in, if she gets to gold.  Often means me giving up a few Saturday club rides to go do a park run and I drag her to a few 10km road races where she can jog/walk and get 600 points for as a timed event.  She does jog/train now and again and in time, but not as quickly as I would like she gets to gold.  Once she is on gold, she know I will not bug her again until January!!

I don't even stress about hitting my goals each week as is done by the latest Tuesday and don't even stress when sick or injured as there are ways and means to keep my extensive weekly tally going.  I know Frosty is the same as he is also on a similar number of consecutive weeks.

I don't pay for running shoes as get them through the shoe booster.  I pay very little for flights to my races as I book far enough in advance that can claim the the maximum back with the flight booster.  In fact Vitality pay me to fly as I pay for my flights with Discovery miles and Vitality give me cash back to spend on whatever I want, usually a second pair or running shoes as I go through 2 pairs a year due to mileage.

Personally my own motivation for a healthy lifestyle and training is to be better in my races or push myself in certain endurance events.  Vitality has nothing to do with it, they just reward me for doing what I would be doing anyway and I never stress about it as there is minimal to no admin for me in all this time.  Train, upload to garmin, everything else seamlessly works in the background.... then just collect the rewards :)

I heard/read somewhere, the Fight benefit is no more.