Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Thanks Myles.

How we get to that 100 000 won't matter? I can do the 99 999 and the wife the other point?

yes, that's my understanding. There's no limit on how many points each individual can amass, apart from those in each category. Which, if changed enough, could actually have the same end result as what Jako is suggesting. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I get an additional 6% discount (41% total) on local flights due to my card.

I noticed this week I could still get my additional saving with Discovery Bank by just using R1 of discovery miles and then paying the balance with whatever card I want.

yes, that's my understanding. There's no limit on how many points each individual can amass, apart from those in each category. Which, if changed enough, could actually have the same end result as what Jako is suggesting. 

Guess who is riding with a rose gold pink strap Apple Watch and a Polar come 2020. :ph34r:

Because you moved over to Discovery Bank?

I used to have the FNB-backed Discovery Card, and got moved over to a Discovery Bank Credit Card. I don't have a cheque account with them.

0kwWsus.png

I recently booked flights and noticed the additional discount (with the caveat that it had to be paid with the Disco Card, but it appears there is a loophole above)

I used to have the FNB-backed Discovery Card, and got moved over to a Discovery Bank Credit Card. I don't have a cheque account with them.

0kwWsus.png

I recently booked flights and noticed the additional discount (with the caveat that it had to be paid with the Disco Card, but it appears there is a loophole above)

That's a lekker loophole. Thanks for the tip!

0kwWsus.png

How did you get vitality money linked with flights discount.  I also got migrated with Disco card but do not get the extra discount when booking flights? Is this card related, I have the platinum

EDIT: Have just checked and I also get it but the extra is on local flights only.  I queried as just booked an international flight on Emerates and you do not get the vitality money part of the discount, hence the query as thought I might be missing out!!

Edited by shaper

How did you get vitality money linked with flights discount.  I also got migrated with Disco card but do not get the extra discount when booking flights? Is this card related, I have the platinum

I honestly don't know, I just noticed it one day. It's probably linked to your Vitality Money status? I made sure that I filled in all the info, submitted my supporting documentation, do my goals as they become available - that sort of thing. I'm also on a Platinum Card, with a Gold Status.

Edit:

uHg2STQ.png

hORH46O.png

Edited by bertusras

I honestly don't know, I just noticed it one day. It's probably linked to your Vitality Money status? I made sure that I filled in all the info, submitted my supporting documentation, do my goals as they become available - that sort of thing. I'm also on a Platinum Card, with a Gold Status.

I checked, you get the vitality money discount with local flights and just the vitality discount with international.  And yes vitality money discount is related to your money status.

I still have another year of exercising to avoid monthly payments on an apple watch with the old disco credit card. I'm not seeing any benefit in moving to Disco Bank as they don't offer the rebate banking I currently have with ABSA (Minimum balance = zero bank charges). Anyone know if my card will retain it's status quo i.e, FNB card in Disco clothing, or will I have to settle the watch balance? can't find any info on their website.

tell your other half she can relax... :P

Here you go. That descriptor is solely for ADDITIONAL adult dependents that are not your partner. IE a kid over the age of 18. 

See here: 

So now my wife and me require 90 000 points to stay on Diamond.

Next year we need 100 000 to stay on Diamond.

The scam continues !!

So now my wife and me require 90 000 points to stay on Diamond.

Next year we need 100 000 to stay on Diamond.

The scam continues !!

yeah, to remove the requirement to have 3 years on gold to get on to Diamond. I actually agree with that move, to be honest. I found the 3 year rule to be a bit silly, especially if one drops a status one year (as I've done)

yeah, to remove the requirement to have 3 years on gold to get on to Diamond. I actually agree with that move, to be honest. I found the 3 year rule to be a bit silly, especially if one drops a status one year (as I've done)

Same here Myles - Last year we (my ex and I) would have had our 3rd year on gold, but she didn't manage a thing, so ended on silver and no diamond. This year, I've (now single) just done my health check and after maxing fitness points in May, I've hit 57000, so feeling pretty stoked. Should be on diamond in 6months, tops...

... overachiever ....

Same here Myles - Last year we (my ex and I) would have had our 3rd year on gold, but she didn't manage a thing, so ended on silver and no diamond. This year, I've (now single) just done my health check and after maxing fitness points in May, I've hit 57000, so feeling pretty stoked. Should be on diamond in 6months, tops...

Unfortunately that's a legislation issue. Med aid companies are not allowed to charge according to your health profile or wellness status, and to be honest I wouldn't want them to as then we'd be on a slippery slope to the US model of healthcare which is utterly ridiculous. 

The only way they're allowed to change premiums is based on your income (a la the low income plans like Keycare)

Yes and no ....

"per package" the premium is the premium, irrespective of your health.  No premium benefit depending on your "healthy living" .... and this goes for ALL the medical aids with rewards programs.

BUT .....

the young healthy families gets to go onto relatively cheap medical aid plans.  Then there are three other groups .... "older people", people with chronic conditions (despite exercise or Vitality status), and the "fat couch potatoes", that has to go for the expensive "comprehensive" packages.

As the Captain says ... slipery slope .... those first two groups have no say in their medical expenses, and without the cross-subsidisation of the healthy young families the business model does not work.

group three .... before we get to judgemental, some of our fellow riders sponsor orthopedic surgeons  from the medical aid .... which we cross-subsidize .... so there are many shades of grey ...  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I disagree, the first year i got to Gold was actually the first time i really analysed what needed to be done to get there. In those days i had the wife and 2 kids on my Med aid so the requirement was 120 000 pts. It seemed almost impossible but when i went into the nuts and bolts we got there fairly easily as long as everyone in the family played their part which i ensured they did.

In those days a % of your pts were also carried over to the next year (25% I think) so the following 2 years was even easier. Of course it seemed unfair to have to start over if you missed it in year 2 or 3 but staying on gold was certainly achievable.

Then they removed the carry over points

After that they stopped giving points for having additional financial products with Disco

Over the years they have reduced points further and further for the different tests you needed doing

Various activity points reduced like when we used to claim for cycle events and got the bonus for the 5th event.

Prostrate PSA test - its gone i think or only for over 60

Glaucoma screening - now only if you over 60

Fitness test used to be 15000 now its 7500

Updating personal details online - gone

HIV tests for 2020 is drastically reduced

Online diet survey - Now you have to visit and pay a dietitian if you want your points.

Online mental health survey will no doubt change soon and we will have to visit a shrink to get the points

So they have reduced or changed the rewards but keep pushing up the threshold level. Now you don't have to be on gold for 3 years but you will need to get 100 000 pts to stay on Diamond.

Sorry but where does that put us poor f#$%^&*ers that have been on Gold and Diamond for the last 10 years.

The system is pushing more and more members to cheat simply to stay in the game almost like doping - How many members flip the turnstyles have a coffee at the gym and then leave without even using the changerooms to get points.

How many members are out there running or on their bikes using 2 HR monitors. 

I think you see where i'm going on this.