Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Best way would be to phone them to speak with an actual human: 0860998877  :thumbup:

Does anyone know how to contact Vitality to resolve an issue? The website sends me in circles and the bot is very frustrating. Specifically with a makro voucher that is 'used' already

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way would be to phone them to speak with an actual human: 0860998877  :thumbup:

Agreed with this. The e-bitching option is easy to submit, but gets you nowhere except for more frustration and generic responses (Pretty much in the same vein as "Have you tried switching your computer on and off"?)

Just check to see if you didn't receive an SMS with a new voucher. I claimed a Makro voucher late last year, but then got notified that I will be getting a new voucher number by SMS.

Also, I don't think they are valid for online use, just in case that's what you're trying to do.

thx Bertus. This is the SMS'd voucher that was marked s 'used'. Received that one even before I tried the original one.

Wasn't online. I drove all the way to Makro ... and then couldn't use it.

There used to be a place for specific queries but I can't find it.

Thx Rob. I'm an IT nerd and prefer not to talk to humans, and the app has all the info already - but you're right, I'll just have to do that I guess. 

I hate talking to people over the phone and I'm not even an IT nerd  :thumbup:

Thx Rob. I'm an IT nerd and prefer not to talk to humans, and the app has all the info already - but you're right, I'll just have to do that I guess. 

Hi G

Vitality servicing has just become as accessible as an instant message. Introducing our exciting new initiative – Discovery WhatsApp – and YOU are invited to be the first to try it out.

Discovery WhatsApp is available any time of the day with convenient self-service options to chat with Virtual Agent bot and when needed, you will be able to chat with one of our friendly live agents Monday to Friday between 07:00 and 17:00. To register, click here (https://www.discovery.co.za/sap/public/cuan/link/100/3285388AAF6DD24D9A05D26F1E52A33539A2B1FB?_K11_=E1EE4FB31383DDC65032BC56FD6A7C9896FA2E7A&_L54AD1F204_=c2NlbmFyaW89TUxDUEcmdGFyZ2V0PWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmRpc2NvdmVyeS5jby56YS9jb3Jwb3JhdGUvd2hhdHNhcHAtcmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uLWpvdXJuZXk/c2FwLW91dGJvdW5kLWlkPTMyODUzODhBQUY2REQyNEQ5QTA1RDI2RjFFNTJBMzM1MzlBMkIxRkImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1TQVBIeWJyaXMmdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249MTI1MCZ1dG1fdGVybT1WSVRBX1doYXRzYXBwXzI5MDEyMDIwX1lTX19fY2xpY2slMjBoZXJlJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PUVO) , then follow these 5 easy steps:

Register your cellphone number

Accept the terms and conditions by clicking ‘Next’

4. You’ll receive a one-time Password (OTP) by SMS or email. Enter your OTP and click ‘Next’. Please ensure that your contact details are updated on our website.

We’ll then send you a WhatsApp message to confirm your registration. Add our WhatsApp number to your Contacts and you’ll be ready to chat with us.

For assistance with registration, you can contact our Digital Support team on 0860 100 696.

We want to hear from you.

By registering and using this service, you’ll be helping us perfect it before we introduce it to all Vitality members. Please give us feedback on your experience with Discovery WhatsApp by emailing us on whatsappvitality@discovery.co.za.

Don’t have WhatsApp yet? Download the app now.

Hi G

Vitality servicing has just become as accessible as an instant message. Introducing our exciting new initiative – Discovery WhatsApp – and YOU are invited to be the first to try it out.

Discovery WhatsApp is available any time of the day with convenient self-service options to chat with Virtual Agent bot and when needed, you will be able to chat with one of our friendly live agents Monday to Friday between 07:00 and 17:00. To register, click here (https://www.discovery.co.za/sap/public/cuan/link/100/3285388AAF6DD24D9A05D26F1E52A33539A2B1FB?_K11_=E1EE4FB31383DDC65032BC56FD6A7C9896FA2E7A&_L54AD1F204_=c2NlbmFyaW89TUxDUEcmdGFyZ2V0PWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmRpc2NvdmVyeS5jby56YS9jb3Jwb3JhdGUvd2hhdHNhcHAtcmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uLWpvdXJuZXk/c2FwLW91dGJvdW5kLWlkPTMyODUzODhBQUY2REQyNEQ5QTA1RDI2RjFFNTJBMzM1MzlBMkIxRkImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1TQVBIeWJyaXMmdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249MTI1MCZ1dG1fdGVybT1WSVRBX1doYXRzYXBwXzI5MDEyMDIwX1lTX19fY2xpY2slMjBoZXJlJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PUVO) , then follow these 5 easy steps:

4. You’ll receive a one-time Password (OTP) by SMS or email. Enter your OTP and click ‘Next’. Please ensure that your contact details are updated on our website.

We’ll then send you a WhatsApp message to confirm your registration. Add our WhatsApp number to your Contacts and you’ll be ready to chat with us.

For assistance with registration, you can contact our Digital Support team on 0860 100 696.

By registering and using this service, you’ll be helping us perfect it before we introduce it to all Vitality members. Please give us feedback on your experience with Discovery WhatsApp by emailing us on whatsappvitality@discovery.co.za.

Hmmmm, ja, pass thank you. I already get crappy generic responses when logging queries through their app and website

Hi G

So DsTV have something like this. I honestly didn't think there was anything more annoying than listening to music while being number 3245 in a queue waiting for help until I tried the WhatsApp line. Bots trying to decipher what you want based on a message just doesn't work for anything more complicated than a balance query (yet). 

I’m on the ABSA WhatsApp group and I agree on the bot trying to work out what the problem was. However, most times I have been assisted with very little effort.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone here on discovery life that can confirm that they actually deliver on what they promise.  i had a chat with someone that caused my spidey senses to tingle with the promises he made. I am already on their medical aid, vitality on diamond.

I had someone come and see me and tried to move me from my current life insurance. I then phoned my one friend - who's also a broker and or financial adviser and he told me that yes its a good policy "if you're healthy" but the moment you're not so healthy and or start claiming on the medical side they can penalize you on the life side as well. Their contract is also written in such a manner that they determine the increase based off your health / status. 

What that means is that if you have the policy until you're 70 and you chose the age rated version of the policy (normally cheaper) and not the fixed rate then you can run into a situation where you'll no longer be able to afford the policy. 

And before the Hub Stakes comes out: Yes the above mentioned "age rated" versus fixed is applicable on all policies the fact is that on other life policies the increase rate is pre-agreed as per the contract and not behavioral based 

anyone here on discovery life that can confirm that they actually deliver on what they promise.  i had a chat with someone that caused my spidey senses to tingle with the promises he made. I am already on their medical aid, vitality on diamond.

any life cover that does not do pre-medicals and history screenings runs this risk.

and then as mentioned above, having it linked to the medical aid / vitality could also open you up to all sorts of things.

When i was in the industry we used to hear all sorts of horror stories of life cover not paying out because of something obscure in the history of the client.

I'm sure it ahs been covered before but as I am newly back on Vitality, I need advice.

I get 300 points for a ride at >70% of max HR for an hour, but my typical morning road ride is 90 mins of which the first 25 or so minutes is level and downhill (Saxonwold, Rosebank, Dunkeld, down Bompas and Buckingham) before kicking up to take in Conrad, Norhcliff, Hill road, Wicklow and Jan Smuts. 

I end up with an ave HR of well over 70% for the last hour but because of the first 20-25 minutes, somewhere between 60 and 70 for the entire ride, giving me only 100 points.

Short of starting my watch at the bottom of Conrad or breaking the ride in two separate activities, how does one deal with the fact that a ride may consist of a warm-up, effort piece and then cool down ?

The easiest is to stop the easy workout and save it then start the hard workout and save that. Disco takes the best workout for points.

When I was young and dumb I signed up for a medical aid with them and the smooth talking 'salesmans' sold the idea to me that having a life policy, my retirement annuity and their 'rewards' program linked together with the same company would be beneficial.  Time went by I realised that their system completely benefits them and the sheep slave away grow the empire.  5 years later, having reached the shiny hard cubic rock status for two years, I cashed out my 'payback' , moved my RA to another company, cancelled the Life and also the rewards program.  Last week I canceled my bank account with them too.   All I can say is that a big life lesson was learnt and life is now way less complicated, the best decision I have made since signing up with the puppet masters.  I am saving a fortune every month and quite rapidly on my way to financial freedom.  Don't let that system complicate your life.     

Edited by Acre

Got one of their Life products almost 20 years ago.

No penalties on premiums, despite some chronic conditions that has been diagnosed since.

Thankfully never had to claim, thus cant comment on that side of it.

When I was young and dumb I signed up for a medical aid with them and the smooth talking 'salesmans' sold the idea to me that having a life policy, my retirement annuity and their 'rewards' program linked together with the same company would be beneficial.  Time went by I realised that their system completely benefits them and the sheep slave away grow the empire.  5 years later, having reached the shiny hard cubic rock status for two years, I cashed out my 'payback' , moved my RA to another company, cancelled the Life and also the rewards program.  Last week I canceled my bank account with them too.   All I can say is that a big life lesson was learnt and life is now way less complicated, the best decision I have made since signing up with the puppet masters.  I am saving a fortune every month and quite rapidly on my way to financial freedom.  Don't let that system complicate your life.     

Your post spanned a WIDE net .... "Life insurance", "Health insurance", "Disability insurance", "Annuities", even "short term insurance", and now "banking" are some very different packages !!!!  To the point where very few brokers are now accredited to sell the full range of products.

Are you commenting on the "system/concept" or the "company" ?

The "system/concept" of putting all your eggs into one basket .... uhmmm ... not my preferred way of doing business.

As for the "company" ..... Not keeping my eggs in one basket I have done business with Santam, Old Mutual, Discovery and Liberty Life .... swings and roundabouts at best .... Some of them have been taken to task (by other members), and had to adjust the way they do business.  I have taken one of them to the ombudsman, and got my money back, as they misrepresented their facts to sell the annuity ....  So fair to say I am not the biggest fan of this industry, and know first hand how they "operate" .... 

That said.  I have seen people lose their home because the breadwinner did not have basic life or disability insurance.  The list goes on and on, as to why each of these products have their place in the market.

Try as I might, my annuity premiums really irks me !!  Still less money in my portfolio than the actual payments made.  But now we are going WAY off topic ....

The topic being :

- Discovery health - for better or worse, still one of the best health providers in SA.  I compare some 9 different companies each year.

- Vitality - the CONCEPT is novel !  Reward health members to live a healthy lifestyle, and thus to claim less.  Looking past the concept, the rewards works for a select few customers.  Do your homework and figure out if it adds value to YOU.