Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitality Active Gear

Save up to 25% upfront on sports gear and equipment. Plus, save up to 75% upfront on your next fitness device, Nike footwear and Nike apparel.

How do I get my upfront discount?

Activate Vitality Active Rewards, complete your Vitality Age and Vitality Health Check assessments (you and your spouse, if applicable), achieve your exercise goals and spend responsibly with Discovery Bank.

Read more:

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/help-vitality-active-gear

From the link above:

For fitness devices, Nike footwear or Nike apparel:

Only one item can be redeemed with each reward code. If you are redeeming a Nike apparel reward, only one Nike apparel item will have the discount applied to it, even if both items in your basket are still within the R1 000 Nike apparel qualifying spend limit.

Every 52 rolling weeks from the time of redeeming your booster reward, you will get the same qualifying spend back with which to use for more boosters. The qualifying spend you get back is not the amount you paid for the item but the relevant amount associated with each booster. (R4 000 for a device, R2 000 for Nike footwear and R1 000 for Nike apparel)

This R6 000 spend limit does not apply to the upfront discount on sports gear and equipment.

You can only have one reward available at any given time for either a fitness device, Nike footwear or Nike apparel.

Example: if you have selected a Nike footwear reward, you will not be able to select a Device reward until you have redeemed the Nike footwear reward or it has expired, provided you still have available qualifying spend left of your overall qualifying spend limit.

Each reward has its own spend limit. Once redeemed, your overall spend limit of R6 000 will reduce by that amount and not the retail value. The discount will apply to the qualifying spend of each booster - Devices R4 000, Nike footwear R2 000 or Nike apparel R1 000. For an example, see the benefit guide.

You cannot use part of a reward to redeem a fitness device, Nike footwear or Nike apparel. The reward's full value is used towards your Vitality Active Gear available spend limit whether the item you bought costs less or more.

If you spend more than the limit, you'll get a discount on the maximum value of the qualifying spend limit. If you spend under the limit, the full amount of that limit will be deducted from your overall available qualifying spend limit.

Once you have used your reward, you can select another one if you have enough overall limit remaining.

You cannot use a sports gear and equipment reward along with a fitness device or Nike gear booster reward in the same transaction - only the first reward will take effect. You can use the second one in a separate transaction. For an example, see the benefit guide.

Edited by Frosty

No, unfortunately you are incorrect.

the allowance of only 'one device per 12 months' is the old Device Booster benefit. The new Vitality Active Gear benefit replaces that, it went live 2 days ago.

Dude, you're so wrong on the available amounts per rolling 52 weeks.

Also, it takes 25 weeks (6 months) of VAR Health goals achieved to regenerate that 25% additional discount. We're only 15 weeks into the year now, so another 10 to go before you can max your discount. Then you start from 0 again.

In other words, by the end of June you can buy a R4k watch and get a discount of about R2.4k. Then by the end of December you can buy R2k Nike shoes and get a discount of about R1.2k (assuming 10% money boost). For this you'll have to have achieved 50 of the 52 weekly VAR goals for the year.

Dude, you're so wrong on the available amounts per rolling 52 weeks.

Also, it takes 25 weeks (6 months) of VAR Health goals achieved to regenerate that 25% additional discount. We're only 15 weeks into the year now, so another 10 to go before you can max your discount. Then you start from 0 again.

In other words, by the end of June you can buy a R4k watch and get a discount of about R2.4k. Then by the end of December you can buy R2k Nike shoes and get a discount of about R1.2k (assuming 10% money boost). For this you'll have to have achieved 50 of the 52 weekly VAR goals for the year.

Frosty's post above provides all the clarity we need.

Also, where does it state that once you reach the max discount it resets to 0? 

EDIT: found it, saw on the link Frosty posted.

Edited by JuddMan

I also agree with Frosty's understanding

If I generate the code but do not use it, does it still reset?

Guess I will soon know, not knowing how it works, I generated a code, but wont use it, it expires end April - fkng hope it doen not reset that will be stupid.

So for this week, achieving all goals for 2021, sitting at 16/25 will only earn one (like me) 25+15=40%, you need to stick with it another 9 weeks to get to 25 goasl - really silly imo. 

But you can still generate more monthly codes will only get 25% then, correct?

I also agree with Frosty's understanding

If I generate the code but do not use it, does it still reset?

Guess I will soon know, not knowing how it works, I generated a code, but wont use it, it expires end April - fkng hope it doen not reset that will be stupid.

So for this week, achieving all goals for 2021, sitting at 16/25 will only earn one (like me) 25+15=40%, you need to stick with it another 9 weeks to get to 25 goasl - really silly imo. 

But you can still generate more monthly codes will only get 25% then, correct?

THIS is what Vitality is all about .... CONSISTENT exercise ..... This is what Vitality was created for originally, to get people to exercise regularly, as that would statistically reduce their medical aid claims....  Since then it has been an endless game of tweaking the rewards vs the rules to ensure consistent exercise ...

And if others on your medical aid dont do the gym thing you never get to any real discount levels ....

For the record, my explanation is a copy and paste from the rules in the link I posted.

No you dont, you can do it online through the website. 

Not sure if I am the only one finding it next to impossible, well IMPOSSIBLE as I have not yet been successful at activating the IWatch renewal  :blush:

This would be my 3rd IWatch activation if it was possible.

I have the Credit card etc. so what am I missing here ? both online as well as by mobile  :nuke:

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated

Not sure if I am the only one finding it next to impossible, well IMPOSSIBLE as I have not yet been successful at activating the IWatch renewal :blush:

I have the Credit card etc. so what am I missing here ? both online as well as by mobile :nuke:

the purists will call it an Apple Watch, not an iWatch.

Have you contacted Discovery to confirm they have ended the last contract? I had to do that after my first “purchase”.

the purists will call it an Apple Watch, not an iWatch.

Have you contacted Discovery to confirm they have ended the last contract? I had to do that after my first “purchase”.

Thanks Frosty - I also received the confirmation Message in writing.

The thing about contacting Discovery is working through all the computer generated frustrations.

Not sure if I am the only one finding it next to impossible, well IMPOSSIBLE as I have not yet been successful at activating the IWatch renewal  :blush:

I have the Credit card etc. so what am I missing here ? both online as well as by mobile  :nuke:

I had trouble activating my third one too. The problem was the Credit card. If you have the Discovery card, you need to migrate it to Discovery Bank and then it will allow you to use the benefit. 

For the record, my explanation is a copy and paste from the rules in the link I posted.

Does having an Apple Watch affect the Vitality gear award at all?

I had trouble activating my third one too. The problem was the Credit card. If you have the Discovery card, you need to migrate it to Discovery Bank and then it will allow you to use the benefit. 

so just to confirm that I have succeeded in this regard by "being forced" to migrate to Discovery Bank and await another NEW Card, and as would be the case about availability -  :thumbdown:  :blink:  the IStore have taken my details as NO WATCHES ARE AVAILABLE due to a 2 - 4 week waiting list 

Edited by Curbie

so just to confirm that I have succeeded in this regard by "being forced" to migrate to Discovery Bank and await another NEW Card, and as would be the case about availability -  :thumbdown:  :blink:  the IStore have taken my details as NO WATCHES ARE AVAILABLE due to a 2 - 4 week waiting list 

Which one are you wanting to get?

so just to confirm that I have succeeded in this regard by "being forced" to migrate to Discovery Bank and await another NEW Card, and as would be the case about availability - :thumbdown: :blink: the IStore have taken my details as NO WATCHES ARE AVAILABLE due to a 2 - 4 week waiting list

Where are you, I walked in and out with my watch just last week.