Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Hi all I've always wanted to join vitality but i see the benefits from 2014 have changed now? Is it possible to still get up to 50% of your start up fee back? Also people are accumulating so many points but what can you use the points on? I think to join it's about two hundred and something rand per month but is it worth it?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, arandre said:

Hi all I've always wanted to join vitality but i see the benefits from 2014 have changed now? Is it possible to still get up to 50% of your start up fee back? Also people are accumulating so many points but what can you use the points on? I think to join it's about two hundred and something rand per month but is it worth it?

Points become miles, and miles can be saved up and spent on things you actually want versus a smoothy per week (providing you're a bank customer too to get the extra miles benefit).

I've been saving miles since they changed to the current format, and used 60,000 miles to get a R10k voucher, so the wife could buy a new Macbook Air.
Next month on the 15th, I'm doing the same and buying a Kickr (upfront discount at SWH, Miles on double miles day, and some caved up cash). No need to ask myself if it's worth it. 

2 hours ago, arandre said:

For MANY people like Frosty ... their FAMILY already live a healthy life style and they accumulate lots of points, thus miles, thus rewards ... for these people the system WORKS !!

On the other end of the scale .... many join for the rewards, not being used to the active lifestyle .... it works for a few months, and then they cancel it at the end of the year ......

With my current lifestyle it may possibly work for "me" .... but my wife wont jump through these hoops .... so as a family we wont meet the targets.  And the family membership over a year is a significant fixed expense .....

IF your lifestyle match the current Vitality requirements .... GO FOR IT.

For me it works, as Frosty says collect the points.  If I need anything I shop on Takealot and spend the Disco miles.  Same as if flying, use Disco miles for Kulula.  I currently sit with close to 100,000 miles and have been as high as 140,000.  Easy to rack up points/miles if you are active and hit your goals and are with Disco bank for multipliers and extra miles.  It works for me, but I have been on vitality since its reward format of 2015 and have not missed a week, currently sitting on 298 consecutive weeks ????

1 hour ago, shaper said:

For me it works, as Frosty says collect the points.  If I need anything I shop on Takealot and spend the Disco miles.  Same as if flying, use Disco miles for Kulula.  I currently sit with close to 100,000 miles and have been as high as 140,000.  Easy to rack up points/miles if you are active and hit your goals and are with Disco bank for multipliers and extra miles.  It works for me, but I have been on vitality since its reward format of 2015 and have not missed a week, currently sitting on 298 consecutive weeks ????

What is you weekly goal if I may ask, having not missed any weeks?

52 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

What is you weekly goal if I may ask, having not missed any weeks?

Max has been 900 with min being 300 during lockdown.  I train 6 days a week, so hitting goals has never been an issue

19 hours ago, shaper said:

And there's the special of 20% discount off any of Disco online partners on the 15th on every month atm which I have used to empty my wish list on Takealot.

The Max weekly target is 1200 points, which is easy to achieve if you are registered as a high performance athlete and you do at least 2 - 3 sessions per week.

On those off weeks there are other work arounds to still achieve your weekly goal ... you just got to figure out what the work arounds are ????

On 8/27/2021 at 8:52 AM, Pusher said:

And there's the special of 20% discount off any of Disco online partners on the 15th on every month atm which I have used to empty my wish list on Takealot.

An extra 20% on the 15th, as it is 20% on every other day.

• 2 weeks later...

This device booster benefit really frustrates me.  

From Discovery: you can choose to activate Device Booster for up to 75% cash back on a heart rate fitness device from Sportsmans Warehouse or Totalsports

So activate the device booster on the app and order in a heart rate fitness device from Sportmans (Polar H10). Doesn't go through. After some calls it turns out it isn't a device they offer on the benefit. One would assume they would prefer more accurate heart rate data. With that strap you can get as much functionality out of your phone as you can from a dedicated sports watch with far better heart rate data. Very frustrated with them. 

6 hours ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

From Discovery: you can choose to activate Device Booster for up to 75% cash back on a heart rate fitness device from Sportsmans Warehouse or Totalsports

So activate the device booster on the app and order in a heart rate fitness device from Sportmans (Polar H10). Doesn't go through. After some calls it turns out it isn't a device they offer on the benefit. One would assume they would prefer more accurate heart rate data. With that strap you can get as much functionality out of your phone as you can from a dedicated sports watch with far better heart rate data. Very frustrated with them. 

Are you saying that a HR strap on it's own is not accepted, or just the Polar brand?
I know the wrist based HR devices don't qualify.

edit: unbundled devices.

Edited by Frosty

5 hours ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

In fairness a HR strap isn't a "fitness device", it's always been like that. Only certain watches and head unit bundles are applicable to the Device Booster.

14 hours ago, bertusras said:

In fairness a HR strap isn't a "fitness device", it's always been like that. Only certain watches and head unit bundles are applicable to the Device Booster.

I do feel like the H10 is though? It can work alone with the app and give you all the data you need and far better than any wrist based "fitness device". There is nothing in my mind more of a heart rate fitness device than a heart rate strap. All it does is heart rate for fitness ????

4 minutes ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I do feel like the H10 is though? It can work alone with the app and give you all the data you need and far better than any wrist based "fitness device". There is nothing in my mind more of a heart rate fitness device than a heart rate strap. All it does is heart rate for fitness ????

I cant agree with you more !