Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

3 hours ago, Andymann said:

I often have to remind myself of this - I'm not their target market.  Did the Prime View Sprint Triathlon this weekend - used the Multisport function on my Garmin because that's what a Triathlon watch is for right? 600m swim - 10mins. 12km MTB - 27mins. 3km run 14mins.  Total time - 53mins.  Total points - zero.  3 activities, high HR but all under 30mins.

Luckily I'm an old hand at this and cycled with my Bike Garmin which I left running in Transition for an hour to get 300 points.  Crazy that you should have to game the system, but yup - not their target market.

Crazy how you can do a sprint triathlon which is proper exercise and get Zero points, yet you can eat KFC sitting on the couch watching TV at a Virgin Active Gym and earn 100 points.....

You could have just logged it as an outdoor sporting event "triathlon" and uploaded your result to get the points. https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vit-partner-outdoor-sporting-events

No need to game the system, just know the system and know where to log a multisport event recorded as a multisport event.  I do it for all my triathlons and get the points a day or 2 after.

How can I earn fitness points for race events?
Discovery Vitality members are able to earn fitness points by taking part in any timed and verified race events locally or internationally in the disciplines of cycling, walking/running, swimming and major multisport events in line with our fitness points table. You will be able to submit your race event details manually on the race events capture form. Points for race events are allocated depending on the discipline and distance of the event.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/help-points

Edited by shaper

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, shaper said:

You could have just logged it as an outdoor sporting event "triathlon" and uploaded your result to get the points. https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vit-partner-outdoor-sporting-events

No need to game the system, just know the system and know where to log a multisport event recorded as a multisport event.  I do it for all my triathlons and get the points a day or 2 after.

Been down that road.  The minimum distance for the bike is 25km and the minimum distance for the run is 5km.

The Prime View Sprint Tri's are a 12km MTB and a 3km run which don't qualify according to Discovery as a Triathlon.

• 4 months later...

back on this.

(can;t believe I've become a slave to this system!!)

If the whole shebang misses a workout (uploads suunto=>strava, both connected to disco), is there a manual way for them to resync and look for activities?

did the whatsapp ting and while we got it done, the human on the otherside didn't really know how it worked. was not worth the effort for a coffee. googling gets you so many different links to their site, many of them legacy stuff, a direct link would be great

13 hours ago, Shebeen said:

back on this.

(can;t believe I've become a slave to this system!!)

If the whole shebang misses a workout (uploads suunto=>strava, both connected to disco), is there a manual way for them to resync and look for activities?

did the whatsapp ting and while we got it done, the human on the otherside didn't really know how it worked. was not worth the effort for a coffee. googling gets you so many different links to their site, many of them legacy stuff, a direct link would be great

Vitality Queries <Vitalityassist_cape@discovery.co.za>

• 1 month later...

so this whole vitality save money on flights thingymajig.

do you really have to join the bank first to get a discount, or is there another link that they hide??

41 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

so this whole vitality save money on flights thingymajig.

do you really have to join the bank first to get a discount, or is there another link that they hide??

So I re-looked everything Discovery has to offer. To put things into context, I have: 

Insurance - structure, content and motor. 

Medical aid 

Vitality 

Bank - I just have a R5k limit on a CC for me to be able to convert the miles. 

Now let me give a rundown quickly: 

My medical aid is always depleted by around May, this year I am already there

The insurance has a new clause that they will only pay up to the amount of R10k for any claim less the excess regardless of the value of the item claimed. It never used to be like that. 

I had to open a cheque account on top of the cc cause I "saved money" by bundling and something else which I can't recall. 

Got a quote today on insurance for more cover, less excess and a lower premium of R1500pm. No more need to specify individual items either. 

On top of the vitality of R349 and the bank fees of around R250 I am starting to look pretty. Next step is to cancel and move the medical. It's all hogwash with no real benefit, do the math on your end and see if what I am saying holds water

8 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

So I re-looked everything Discovery has to offer. To put things into context, I have: 

Insurance - structure, content and motor. 

Medical aid 

Vitality 

Bank - I just have a R5k limit on a CC for me to be able to convert the miles. 

Now let me give a rundown quickly: 

My medical aid is always depleted by around May, this year I am already there

The insurance has a new clause that they will only pay up to the amount of R10k for any claim less the excess regardless of the value of the item claimed. It never used to be like that. 

I had to open a cheque account on top of the cc cause I "saved money" by bundling and something else which I can't recall. 

Got a quote today on insurance for more cover, less excess and a lower premium of R1500pm. No more need to specify individual items either. 

On top of the vitality of R349 and the bank fees of around R250 I am starting to look pretty. Next step is to cancel and move the medical. It's all hogwash with no real benefit, do the math on your end and see if what I am saying holds water

Discovery medical savings plans have gone backwards the last few years.

For 2024 the savings was dropped another 5% on all plans.  Thats why you are out of savings so early this year.

Compare the Core to the Savings and a few thousand rand of your premium for the year  goes to "admin".

We switched to a Core plan for 2024.  The savings amount goes into separate banking account.  Account and transaction fees in the order of R15 per month.

Well worth the effort to do the maths.

They're trying to corner everyone into signing up for their banking. Slowly but surely all the benefits are becoming redundant if you don't have it.