Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

You can also cancel a dependent on Vitality and remain on the medical aid scheme, you will just lose the benefits linked to the dependent.

No. If there's vitality on a life policy or a med aid, it will apply to all lives who are insured under said policy. You cannot remove a person from your vitality without first removing their cover from your policy or membership.

The consultant is correct. It you don't want him on your vitality, you have to remove him from your med aid and out him on his own. That, or suck it up and make peace with the fact that they don't use it. Perform the same calcs as Reme and others have done to see it it's in your best interest to keep vitality for yourself, too. If it is, then keep it. If not, boot it.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. If there's vitality on a life policy or a med aid, it will apply to all lives who are insured under said policy. You cannot remove a person from your vitality without first removing their cover from your policy or membership.

The consultant is correct. It you don't want him on your vitality, you have to remove him from your med aid and out him on his own. That, or suck it up and make peace with the fact that they don't use it. Perform the same calcs as Reme and others have done to see it it's in your best interest to keep vitality for yourself, too. If it is, then keep it. If not, boot it.

Thanks for the info. I was also misinformed  :thumbup:

Edited by slickjay007

Thanks Myles, Wife & I make full use of the Vitality program and are happy, was just trying to save a few sheckles by kicking the young man in the house off it. I'll have a heart to heart with him tonight re his exercise regime :D

Look, I wish it was the case, too. Would make "problem spouses" that much easier to deal with. [emoji23]

I have one of those mate, given up the fight and just do as much as I can on my own ....

• 2 weeks later...

Mine’s OK, but I see my family is now required to produce 100k points to maintain our status when it was 90k last year.

Mine’s OK, but I see my family is now required to produce 100k points to maintain our status when it was 90k last year.

Yep, went up and the points you get for the checks went down, HIV test dropped to 1k from 5k points. Scoring for fitness assessments are stricter, cash only gets paid to discovery bank accounts otherwise you get miles instead and so on and so on, foook load of changes.

Yep, went up and the points you get for the checks went down, HIV test dropped to 1k from 5k points. Scoring for fitness assessments are stricter, cash only gets paid to discovery bank accounts otherwise you get miles instead and so on and so on, foook load of changes.

What a load of crap. It just gets harder and harder to keep the status up. The cost is also heading north steadily!

What a load of crap. It just gets harder and harder to keep the status up. The cost is also heading north steadily!

I canceled mine, from this year it would have cost me money to be in vitality. The value gained from it would have dipped bellow the cost of it.

At least now I can train properly and more healthy instead of keeping tabs on an avg heart rate.

Anyone else's vitality status incorrect?

Mine should be diamond but indicating gold

Same here

My status should be diamond and is also listed as gold. I'm also getting a bit fedup with vitality and their opaque and ever changing rules. 

Had this nightmare experience over the new year which didn't do much for my vitality.

Did my health assessment (always leave it to the last minute) and the HIV screening test popped up two lines indicating a positive result. Nursing sister took on the professional reassuring tone that my brainstem interpreted as a panic signal (blood pressure already been taken so it didn't skew the results) and immediately repeated the test with a different brand.

"So Mr Mamil, if two lines appear in this window here it means that this test is also positive. In either event I'm going to recommend that you go and have more bloods taken."

I sat for 3 minutes with my eyes glued to the panel where the line that would be drawn across my life might appear and it stayed clear indicating that the second test didn't react and so is an HIV negative result.

This didn't help my anxiety though.

Now I know that I haven't been doing what mamils do on the discovery channel (seriously this old song is what my addled brain spat out at me) with anyone apart from the person I'm supposed to be doing it with and before the test I would have put a million bucks on a negative result and for this first result to be anything other than a false positive would mean that I have either blanked out some fairly important parts of the year since my last HIV screening or my reading of my relationship is wildly wrong.

I got out of there having been told that everything else is in order except that I'm supposed to have a waist circumference I last had before puberty and immediately made an appointment with my GP. I went home and told my SO what had happened. She raised an eyebrow and looked at me quizzically and said she was coming with me to the doc the next morning.

Anyway - 24 hours almost to the minute after the initial screening test the doctor phoned me while I was gritting my teeth into a 30kmph headwind halfway up vissershok on my way from Faircape to Meerendal and wished me a happy new year safe in the knowledge that I am definitively HIV negative. 

It was an interesting 24 hours of watching my mind run rings around itself and tie itself in knots.

Thought I'd share the experience - and in case you don't know it - these fingerprick screening tests are highly sensitive but a little low on specificity. In other words - they don't make too many mistakes that tell a positive person they are negative but they do sometimes react to antibodies other than those for HIV and so give a false positive.

I finished my ride feeling very happy with life and with the wise words of a departed friend in my ears "Stop complaining - your life is not bad at all"

Happy new year.

Read on my broadband. Discovery aware of issue and will be corrected in due course

Ah, good... almost chocked on my turkey sandwich!