Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

True that... If you find yourself doing 90min+ rides, then the endurance option may work out well for you... You can get a max of 600 points for a 2hrs ride @ 70%+... or 450 for a 90min ride. You'll find yourself maxing out you yearly fitness points fast - leaves room for error when striving for gold. The way I figure it, if you're doing the workouts, then use the rules to your advantage. For me, it's a good motivator.

Look at it this way, if you do 2hrs on a Sat and 2 on a Sun, you get to Monday having met your goal (I meant to mention that the endurance max target is 1200). Bosh!

Only if you've signed up for the "Endurance Athletes". 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, so if my iwatch 2 successfully feeds from Strava into Health app and Vitality claims to read Health app data (and the permissions are set accordingly), why don’t I get vitality points for these activities?

Edited by ibruegge

Only if you've signed up for the "Endurance Athletes".

It's open to everyone. Just a few clicks and you're done

Hey, so if my iwatch 2 successfully feeds from Strava into Health app and Vitality claims to read Health app data (and the permissions are set accordingly), why don’t I get vitality points for these activities?

because the Health App only pushes steps to Vitality

Has anybody ever had this issue (Garmin saying that they cannot give permissions to the application requested) when trying to link their device on the Vitality page. I've tried to continue with the process by 'authorizing' but that doesn't work. Everything was working just fine (for all of last year) until trying to re-link my Garmin Connect account at the end of last week. Waiting for a reply from Discovery.

Has anybody ever had this issue (Garmin saying that they cannot give permissions to the application requested) when trying to link their device on the Vitality page. I've tried to continue with the process by 'authorizing' but that doesn't work. Everything was working just fine (for all of last year) until trying to re-link my Garmin Connect account at the end of last week. Waiting for a reply from Discovery.

I struggled with this last week when trying to link a new account for my wife. In order to solve it I had to change the privacy settings in Garmin Connect. The message is confusing, but the way I understand it Discovery is not getting the authorization from the Connect App - if the account is set to private. It did show Discovery as connected in the App though and I removed it before changing the settings. Also, I managed to solve it before I got the Discovery reply, but the reply was useless - even had the e-mail address to link spelled incorrectly!

Hope this helps! 

Edited by HOEKVLAG

because the Health App only pushes steps to Vitality

Thanks, but that means this would have changed, as it was all working fine. got all my heart rate based points last year using the Health app only. Now have a watch, using Strava, feed into Health app, Discovery doesn't read that anymore. Will email them directly, let's see. Thanks!

Thanks, but that means this would have changed, as it was all working fine. got all my heart rate based points last year using the Health app only. Now have a watch, using Strava, feed into Health app, Discovery doesn't read that anymore. Will email them directly, let's see. Thanks!

If you have the Apple Watch, then you must use the Activity app on the watch. You can still use Strava, but your HR data must originate from the Watch.

The Health App allows many apps to add to and read from health and activity stats on Apple Health. So when you use Strava on your watch, it will add to Apple Health to close your rings, but it will be marked as a Strava workout. 

If you look in the Activity App on your iPhone under workouts, you can see which workouts were created by Apple Watch Workout app and which were created by Strava or Strong or whatever...

This data is be supplied to Discovery, who ignore the Strava data and only use the Watch App data.

I personally use the normal exercise app on the watch (outdoor cycle) to close my Apple rings and use Garmin with a chest strap for everything else, including Discovery. I found that the Apple Watch would stop measuring heart rate during a mountain bike ride (too bumpy perhaps?).

Both Apple and Garmin sync to discovery and the best exercise wins the points...and Garmin syncs to Strava and I can see how I'm improving.

Hope this helps!

Edited by GmtbR

post-63215-0-79391700-1514963278_thumb.jpg

Vitality says if you are a member of the Endurance and High Performance you have to renew at the beginning of each year, but I see it says I still have the status.

Does this mean I don't have to do anything to maintain this in 2018 (besides the fitness requirements obviously), or is it on the anniversary date I moved to Endurance and High Performance?

attachicon.gifVitality.jpg

Vitality says if you are a member of the Endurance and High Performance you have to renew at the beginning of each year, but I see it says I still have the status.

Does this mean I don't have to do anything to maintain this in 2018 (besides the fitness requirements obviously), or is it on the anniversary date I moved to Endurance and High Performance?

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'd have missed that then lost my marbles

All my assessments did not pull through and now I am downgraded from diamond to silver. Can this be rectified?

I am going to loos a lot of money if this cant be back dated.

All my assessments did not pull through and now I am downgraded from diamond to silver. Can this be rectified?

I am going to loos a lot of money if this cant be back dated.

yes, as long as you have proof that they were done, and the allocations would have got you over the threshold. Send a mail to vitalityescalations@discovery.co.za with your supporting documentation, and they'll rectify it. 

Does anyone know how do I downgrade from High Performance to couch potato? 

I was on High Performance last year when I trained for the Comrades, but this year I won't make my goals as it sits at 1200 - I want to be more lazy this year   :whistling:

Does anyone know how do I downgrade from High Performance to couch potato?

I was on High Performance last year when I trained for the Comrades, but this year I won't make my goals as it sits at 1200 - I want to be more lazy this year :whistling:

Some say you have to re-apply, so just do the lazy bit and do nothing and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if you have had a reply yet - but I had exactly the same issue (literally only from this morning).  Discovery called me - they said I needed to remove the vitality permissions from Garmin connect:

Steps to get permissions GarminConnect:

1. Log in to Garmin Connect.
  2. Select profile icon.
  3. Select ‘Settings”.
  4. Click on ‘Account information’.
  5. Permission are listed at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Click on the option to switch permissions off

Re-link through the vitality app / web page.  

A bit of a pain, but I did it - and it seems to have worked, but for how long, no-one can be sure!