Double Century: Fundamentals of endurance nutrition

News bot

The Coronation Double Century is a unique event for various reasons – not only is it a team race, but it’s also a time trial. For many recreational cyclists it represents the single biggest one-day effort faced all year, and the 202-kilometre loop from Swellendam, which includes the mammoth climbs of the Tradouw Pass and Op de Tradouw, will for many be their longest day on the bike.

Click here to view the article

good article with some useful info in there.

I find nutrition is the hardest part of raceday strategy to get right.

I have one question: why LOW-FAT yoghurt?  Surely, you need the extra calories before a race?

LOW FAT yogurt as more sugar than regular yogurt, you need sugar = carbies - not carbies from fat. 

If I had to eat everything suggested here I'll have the squirts about halfway in. Seriously, who eats this much?!!? At most - 2x bananas, 4x potatoes and 1 gel at the start. 5 x 750ml Energy drink and 1 x 375ml Coke.

Some good information. What can be said in respect of the food you may or may not eat the previous day/evening?