Road Bikes and Water?

Butterbean

So, let me begin by explaining I'm fairly pedantic when it comes to having a clean bike and kit, and keeping it clean.

Since I stated riding, my bikes have always been washed by hand with a damp cloth and light degreaser, chain wiped down and relubed, and often degreased and relubed.

After wet rides and races I would always strip the bike down and clean and dry everything.

However, I'm findin that the damp cloth method is leaving some gunk behind in places, and wondering about any dangers associated with a proper hose down and wash? I've watched the pro mechs washing and soaping the bikes up properly, but I assume the addition of compressed air keeps it from doing any damage.

So, questions:

Safe to wash a road bike and simply wipe down any exposed parts?

After a rainy ride, should I do as per above or strip down?

Bear in mind I'll be stripping cranks off and regreasing BB threads and seatpost regularly. I'm concerned re headset, pedals, and the hubs? Steel frame, I always take the screw out of the bottom of the BB and let anything go through there.

Just interested to what level you should take your wet cleaning to?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a well maintained bike with the threads greased and the BB / Headset etc... properly installed there should be no water infiltration even when riding in the rain, the greatest extent I go to after a really wet one is to take out the seat tube and turn the bike upside down, then I wipe down with a cloth and leave the bike somewhere warm. I try avoid putting the bike away in the cold and lonely bike shed unless she is nice and cosy.

Haha I've heard a lot about people bringing bikes into their showers! Sounds tempting. Just wondering about water left in places like hub axles, inside quick release cams, and any bolts or bits that shouldn't be wet? Or is the higher end kit less vulnerable to rust - running ultegra 6800.

I use a hose with one of those adjustable watering heads on a light (wide)spray. I'm also super pedantic about things, but I have to say, I have never found an issue in my headset. Grease is always in place and nice and dry inside.

I rinse with a hosepipe and a gentle stream of water. Muddy bits on the downtube, tyres, and far away from places water can get in, I blast with a stronger stream of water by squeezing my thumb over the tip of the hosepipe. I do NOT do that near hubs, BB, headset or seatpost. The chain, chainrings, cassette, derailleur get cleaned with a biodegradable degreaser, scrubbed with a brush and rinsed. Then I wash it all over with a cloth and soapy water and rinse gently again before drying with a cloth and letting it stand in a warm dry place. When completely dry I re-lube.

Edited by DJR

Since i been living in the land of no garden hoses Switzerland i take my bikes to the local car wash..seriously... they have wash booths with high pressure very fine spray hoses with a variety of options (rinse, wax soap, ect...) and even "broom type" brushes with hot water... I just use a normal bike type soap, let it soak while i manually spray a chain cleaner spray on my chain, cassette and chainrings then brush it with a small brush AND then wash it all off with the rinse (plain water) spray. I try not get to close while using the spray especially to the vital parts. Then i dry it all off with a chamois and ride home...all dry by the time i get home... so far never had an issue with water damage...some of my bikes have been going though this process for over 10 years.. 

Just don't stand to close with the pressure wash, rather wipe off the stubborn bits afterwards with a wet cloth

Edited by SwissVan

mmmm I use my car soap and a bucket. a soft mag brush for the cassette (cassette brush if needed in between) and the drivetrain bits. the rest of the bike with a microfiber cloth.

I dry what and everywhere I can with a towel and then leave it somewhere warm to dry.

After my lunch break everything then gets checked, lubed/greased.

Sometimes I would even put some Spray Carnauba wax on the paintwork and/or frame and shine it up pretty...

I have known to lose days like this...

Many car washes now have a waterless "wash".

How about that spray stuff with carnauba they sell at some garage forecourts?

High pressure and squirty hose - noooo!

I rinse with a hosepipe and a gentle stream of water. Muddy bits on the downtube, tyres, and far away from places water can get in, I blast with a stronger stream of water by squeezing my thumb over the tip of the hosepipe. I do NOT do that near hubs, BB, headset or seatpost. The chain, chainrings, cassette, derailleur get cleaned with a biodegradable degreaser, scrubbed with a brush and rinsed. Then I wash it all over with a cloth and soapy water and rinse gently again before drying with a cloth and letting it stand in a warm dry place. When completely dry I re-lube.

Sounds good! When can I bring my bike over?

Sounds good! When can I bring my bike over?

:D  :D I'll wash your bike for Christmas! Any time after a ride!