2015 Trek Superfly FS Crank change

Terence Hope

Anyone changed the cranks on their 2015 Superfly FS? The bb is a GXP, which is easy enough, however the size is a 95 PF, from what I can see, only Trek uses this size? So question is, Im wanting to change the crank to something very light, ie: raceface or rotor, something along those lines, but need to make sure I can in fact actually change it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have changed cranks on these but not a 2015 one.  The Trek 95 refers to the overall BB shell width with the bearing in place.  The bearing position is not changed compared to a press fit BB so a standard crank will fit.  (No spacers, catchers or anything on the crank) The older ones had stock Shimano cranks with 24mm axles but just check the id of the bearing when you remove yours  They may have slipped BB30 bearings in.  The difference between a Trek and standard pf BB is that the cups are moulded into the frame on the Trek, as opposed to forming part of the BB for the standard ones.  I have heard that they have reverted to press fit BB for the 2016 range.

Maybe a bit off topic and I apologize if this is the case.

Is it possible to replace the press fit BB with an external Shimano BB?

Thanks

Anyone changed the cranks on their 2015 Superfly FS? The bb is a GXP, which is easy enough, however the size is a 95 PF, from what I can see, only Trek uses this size? So question is, Im wanting to change the crank to something very light, ie: raceface or rotor, something along those lines, but need to make sure I can in fact actually change it. Any help would be appreciated.

No chance of running anything with an axle diameter larger than 24mm I'm afraid. The PF standard that Trek use [37mm shell ID] doesn't allow anything larger than a regular 24mm Shimano or 24/22mm SRAM to fit.

Maybe a bit off topic and I apologize if this is the case.

Is it possible to replace the press fit BB with an external Shimano BB?

Thanks

Unfortunately not. The BB cups are integrated into the frame, so therefor the frame is to wide to even think about using external BB.

Sorry but as stated above you won't be able to run anything bigger than a 25mm crank spindle (KCNC, I have done this but the cranks are rubbish don't wast your time).

Rotor used to make cranks with a 24mm spindle but alas no more.

Best option for light weight would be XX1 with a direct spider-less chain ring.

You could always try find one of the exotics that till work eg: Tune, Aerozine, THM, Lightning, ect but you are going to battle to find them in SA and compatibility be a key. Plus you are going to be spending serious cash for the above apart from maybe Aerozine.