what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

Hi Guys

The chain on the old bike always went black after I put some white lightening on it.

Is this normal to do it?

On the new bike (hope you all seen the pics of the Ciocc), the chain is nice and shiny and I want to KEEP it that way?

Is it just a case of cleaning all the time or is the lubricant also important ?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one sure-fire way to keep your chain clean!

ssshhhhhhhoooeeee weeee ... when am i going to find the time to ride the bicycle if I take apart try take apart the chain  every weekend ?

The LBS gonna make lotsa dough outta me .. Wink

Slowbee, don't listen to anybody. Just get a bottle of Squirt or White Lightning. That is what most people use. This can turn into a fist fight after page 10.

If you ask JB, he'll tell you to pull the dipstick out your cars engine and let the oil drip onto your chain.

Earbuds for birthday, christmas, easter.....................

If you love your bike, no price too small.LOL

Slowbee' date=' don't listen to anybody. Just get a bottle of Squirt or White Lightning. That is what most people use. This can turn into a fist fight after page 10.

[/quote']

Done !!

Already had a coupla naaaasties today!

and then just wash the chain alot to stop ot from going black?

keep the silver sheen ?

Oh, and I seriously suggest putting a power link on your chain. That way you can quickly take the chain off, put it in a glass bottle of degreaser, and wash it properly.

Slowbee' date=' don't listen to anybody. Just get a bottle of Squirt or White Lightning. That is what most people use. This can turn into a fist fight after page 10.

[/quote']

Done !!

Already had a coupla naaaasties today!

and then just wash the chain alot to stop ot from going black?

keep the silver sheen ?

Just clean it with parafin, scrub over it on the cassette and rince off. Wipe with a rag and relube. Should not go black at all.

Slowbee,

Get a smart link.  Connex makes one for 10speed chains. 

Ride and get the chain dirty. 

Wait for your rest day. 

Disconnect the Connex link and drop the chain into an old water bottle.  Fill with Kleen Green.  Let soak.  Remove, scrub and dry.  It must be very dry.  Hang it in the winter sun or use a hair dryer to ensure the chain is dry. 

Oil every link with your oil preference.  I use ProGold. Wipe off the excess oil.  Put back on bike.  Spin a few time to ensure the oil gets where it is required, inside the links. 

Dry the chain with a rag.  Its dry when there are no oil marks on the rag. 

Rest day over.  Ride next day. 

This is my method. 

Regards,

casspir

Some important tips

white lightening is a lube that is designed to "shed" the dirt.  Put on wait wipe go.

Rock and Roll is really good stuff, it is a chain cleaner with lube.  So put on, wipe off, wipe off, wope off until it F@#$ing shines, go.

Other lubs require you to wipe the chain, wash it with de greaser, dry it, with WD-40, wipe all that off, and then lube.

Some people use desiel or petrol as degreasers, other say not.

Oh' date=' and I seriously suggest putting a power link on your chain. That way you can quickly take the chain off, put it in a glass bottle of degreaser, and wash it properly.[/quote']

Please show me a 10spd powerlink.

well Mampara beat me to it ?

I have a 10 speed. Veloce (Big%20smile). Will the speed link work with this chain and groupset?

Mampara' date='

Connex link for 10 speeds.  Good LBS's have them.

Regards,

casspir

[/quote']

Then I will need to get me some.

BTW, It's only Sram that makes Powerlinks. Connex ones are called Connex Links.