STRAVA -> Discovery Vitality

BarryHeyns

This is so open to abuse I hope they at least have some sort of checks on the data but even with data checks it is very easy to abuse this.

I see the monthly fee for membership with Vitality is going up from R137 to R189 per month at the gym here. This a 38% increase. 1st They hook you in with the enormous start-up fee, then they pull a 38% increase on monthly fees. No thanks I`ll rather buy some home gym stuff and avoid the stinking sweaty gym.

Soooo, is it safe to say you're not a fan of Discovery or their benefits, or going to gym...?

Or are you generally such a ray of sunshine...?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, is it safe to say you're not a fan of Discovery or their benefits, or going to gym...?

Or are you generally such a ray of sunshine...?

Option 2 I am generally a such a ray of sunshine...! :nuke:

Thanks for all the help.

I see the vitality points and membership as a challenge, not really fussed about the fees at the moment.

Each to their own when it comes to what medical aid you use probably.

In the end becoming more healthy is what matters.

Thanks for all the help.

I see the vitality points and membership as a challenge, not really fussed about the fees at the moment.

Each to their own when it comes to what medical aid you use probably.

In the end becoming more healthy is what matters.

And STRAVA.

:whistling:

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to link my Strava account to the Discovery app on my iPhone for the past week and it always crashes out.  Anyone else having similar problems?

The discovery app is up to date.

I'm using email address and password to log on to Strava.

The app gets further on some attempts than others, but never successfully links my Strava account.  The furtherest I get is to enter my email address and password for Strava and then it pauses a while before giving a general error message or just going back to the "Devices and apps" screen without an error message.

He has a very similar unhealthy obsession with coffee, but would never be seen dead drinking a "half caf".

Jeez, love this movie. Especially when his dad beat him at swing ball, and he came running into the house full of red Marks where the Ball had hit him...

I've been trying to link my Strava account to the Discovery app on my iPhone for the past week and it always crashes out.  Anyone else having similar problems?

The discovery app is up to date.

I'm using email address and password to log on to Strava.

The app gets further on some attempts than others, but never successfully links my Strava account.  The furtherest I get is to enter my email address and password for Strava and then it pauses a while before giving a general error message or just going back to the "Devices and apps" screen without an error message.

have u tried linking it using your pc. i had similar probelm. called them and they advised using my desktop. sync'd 1st time

have u tried linking it using your pc. i had similar probelm. called them and they advised using my desktop. sync'd 1st time

Good idea, but unfortunately not working.  At the moment, clicking on the green "Link my Strava" button on the web site via a PC browser does nothing for me.  It seems to be linked to the same page one is one when clicking the button.

I did phone Discovery yesterday and the consultant just said that they were having technical problems and wasn't able to help me get it linked.

The Strava / Active Rewards partnership is awesome!

You have weekly point goals, which is easily reached if you cycle / gym / parkrun a lot. Once you reach your weekly goal you get you coffee / smoothy... But wait.. there's more...

Every time you reach your weekly goal you get 5% discount off you Virgin Active monthly fee, the same goes for any Kulula booking. So if you have enough time between the booking date and the actual flight you can get up to 100%... obviously not applicable to the taxes which is half the cost.

The Strava / Active Rewards partnership is awesome!

You have weekly point goals, which is easily reached if you cycle / gym / parkrun a lot. Once you reach your weekly goal you get you coffee / smoothy... But wait.. there's more...

Every time you reach your weekly goal you get 5% discount off you Virgin Active monthly fee, the same goes for any Kulula booking. So if you have enough time between the booking date and the actual flight you can get up to 100%... obviously not applicable to the taxes which is half the cost.

you also get free gym and a whole lot more, check the official thread

For some reason Discovery felt it needed to intervene in my training regime and cut my reward points down from 3000 per activity to 600....now I have to do 2 x 2>hr rides a week just for the smoothie....

Anyone else had this training assistance bestowed upon them?

For some reason Discovery felt it needed to intervene in my training regime and cut my reward points down from 3000 per activity to 600....now I have to do 2 x 2>hr rides a week just for the smoothie....

Do you ride with a HR monitor. If you avg above 70% of max HR and you ride over 120mins then you get the 3k points.

Just using STRAVA / Endomondo etc without an HR strap? That's why. Time and distance calculated points are limited to 600 now. 

Check out the other Discovery thread. All your info is there. 

I got given 600 points two weeks back for a 3h30 ride, no HR. this weekend I got 3000 points for a 3h30 ride no HR. the Boss did the ride with me and got 600 points. 

From the email in response to my initial query.

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the late response.

Fitness points are based upon both  the duration and intensity of the workout.

You are correct in stating that a vigorous workout of 120 minutes or more would earn 3 000 points.

According to the data that we received from your device, your workouts for 23 and 24 January were both vigorous workouts of 90 minutes or more; if this is incorrect, please submit screen shots of the workouts so that we can investigate further.

If you have any more queries, you can contact us on 0860 99 88 77. Alternatively, you can access the website at www.discovery.co.za 

I have sent a follow up query on the variation in points. I'm starting to think their system is taking heat with the up take and now they are on the back foot. 

I got given 600 points two weeks back for a 3h30 ride, no HR. this weekend I got 3000 points for a 3h30 ride no HR. the Boss did the ride with me and got 600 points. 

From the email in response to my initial query.

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the late response.

Fitness points are based upon both  the duration and intensity of the workout.

You are correct in stating that a vigorous workout of 120 minutes or more would earn 3 000 points.

According to the data that we received from your device, your workouts for 23 and 24 January were both vigorous workouts of 90 minutes or more; if this is incorrect, please submit screen shots of the workouts so that we can investigate further.

If you have any more queries, you can contact us on 0860 99 88 77. Alternatively, you can access the website at www.discovery.co.za 

I have sent a follow up query on the variation in points. I'm starting to think their system is taking heat with the up take and now they are on the back foot. 

Must be an error. Still max 600 points for a workout with no HR data afaik. Can't find the link now though!

Please continue the discussion HERE though.