RACE PACKS! What gear and gadgets do you really want in your next one?

mikeonthetown

Ive been working on cycling events for quite a while and have noticed a common letdown for participants, the quality of race/event packs - the gear and gadgets that they receive.

Multistage race events offer a larger more expensive selection of gear and gifts in general but is it what cyclists really want or need. What would you put in and be realistic  :eek:

Look forward to some ideas and hopefully the guys can look at this and keep up to date what we all really want.

Edited by mikeonthetown

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Agree Things that can be used during the race and event shirts nothing etter than going to cupboard and pulling out a shirt from an event youve done Lubes , Socks , Shirts , Gloves all that kin of stuff

From what I understand, companies pay big cash to have there samples placed in things like goodie bags and magazines. Therefore forgoing the race pack would not likely bring the race entry fee down. But I agree, have yet to use anything I got in a goodie bag, and I don't know what the big hooraaa is that cyclists make over them, we know they rubbish, yet everyone continually seems disappointed? Maybe I missed the old days when you got a free BMW 335 in the race pack or something as I have only been riding for going on 2 years now. I would rather have more effort put into race organization and making sure tables don't run out of water, over a packet full of junk that's not worth marketing on a better platform.

Guest notmyname

Race packs are not gifts. You pay for that crap with your entry fee.

Guest notmyname

If anything.... Socks, Bottles, MTB tyre plugs, chain lube etc and other generic items.

What I dont want is some new form of energy goo, or nutrition, and definately not some tea or insta coffee sachets.

This bloke is onto "the" something here.

Goody bags are made up of sponsors giving samples, and generally not costing them any big money, and already written off against the marketing budget. 

Race packs are not gifts. You pay for that crap with your entry fee.

Not actually, most sponsors cover it in their leveraging budget, or at least the ones Ive worked on. The clothing (usually sponsored by a technical or clothing brand) or bags (also potentially sponsored) are procured by the rights holder which they usually brand with the event and title sponsor. These gifts are also bought in large quantities thereby reducing their actual purchase price and the price on the entry fee.