Muttley

Hi guys,

I've search for this topic but wasn't able to find any other similar topics so here goes....

I actually find it quite therapeutic to clean my own bike :ph34r:  and was wondering if there's a specific brand/brands of cleaning kit that I should purchase to clean my MTB...

I don't wanna go and buy some brand based on price (and then assume that cos of a higher price, it's better than others) only to find that it's rubbish and ruining my paint job and or components.

Any feedback will be great appreciated  :thumbup:  

Hi guys,

I've search for this topic but wasn't able to find any other similar topics so here goes....

I actually find it quite therapeutic to clean my own bike :ph34r:  and was wondering if there's a specific brand/brands of cleaning kit that I should purchase to clean my MTB...

I don't wanna go and buy some brand based on price (and then assume that cos of a higher price, it's better than others) only to find that it's rubbish and ruining my paint job and or components.

Any feedback will be great appreciated  :thumbup:  

I find if I leave it at my LBS with a R50 note, it comes back all clean and dry. 

No need for a special brand of bike shop. 

Much cheaper than doing it yourself.

I find if I leave it at my LBS with a R50 note, it comes back all clean and dry. 

No need for a special brand of bike shop. 

Much cheaper than doing it yourself.

That's just lazy...  :thumbdown:

Sunlight dish liquid, water for everything, CleanGreen and toothbrush for the drive-train, that's all I use. found you have to immediately start cleaning the chain once spraying on the Cleangreen, otherwise it does not do much. then go over it afterwards with the sunlight and water mixture. And a trickle of water from the tap, no pressure washer ...

Got 2500km out of my last chain, and more than 5000km out of the cassette before it started skipping badly, so happy with the method.

And of course try and clean the stanchions on the suspension after every ride if possible.

Edited by Kraggie

I've heard Sunlight is not good for washing bikes as it contains salts that cause corrosion. I use Halls T4 motorbike cleaner,spray it on leave for a few minutes and rinse off. The chain I clean in a bottle of parrafin. car wash liquid is aslo ok I presume. I personally don't use a pressure washer on my bike.

I've heard Sunlight is not good for washing bikes as it contains salts that cause corrosion. I use Halls T4 motorbike cleaner,spray it on leave for a few minutes and rinse off. The chain I clean in a bottle of parrafin. car wash liquid is aslo ok I presume. I personally don't use a pressure washer on my bike.

thanks for this... I should've mentioned that I was told not to use a high pressure washer- just finger on the hose pipe  :whistling:

Would water afterwards not rinse it off in any case ... Also, maybe it will corrode a steel bike, but I have no steel parts on my alu anthem I'm aware of.

Been doing this for 2 years and I see no corrosion nowhere.

Paraffin best way to clean a chain, but I'm not taking mine off that much.

Who told you that, someone who wanted to sell you a bike specific cleaning product? :ph34r:

Another thread about this topic : https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/94249-saturday-bike-wash/ guys also using sunlight

Edited by Kraggie

Sunlight is perfectly fine for your bike, expensive bike cleaner brands might tell you otherwise.but I assure you it's perfectly fine. Car wash and wax products I find to be best as it dries without droplets and leave a protective layer. Just use neutral detergents and keep degreasers away from bearings and hubs.

You primarily need two things: a general washing liquid and a drivetrain cleaner. 

I'm currently using Muc-Off's general wash spray, but previously used Prepsol (to good effect). The Muc-Off isn't particularly good value, but it works well.

For the drivetrain, I use Muc-Off's drivetrain cleaner. It works very well. I tend to stay away from degreasers that are very strong, as they oftentimes cause the chain to rust rapidly. A mild cleaner and some elbow grease gets the job done. 

There is a lot of products on offer, so try different brands and see what works for you in terms of value for money, efficacy and so on. 

a bike mechanic told me. I found the T4 I use mixed 4:1 more effective and cheaper as well.

To each his own, always willing to learn.

Oh Boy have you opened a can of worms here.

This is another one of the hubs favourite topics with deeply held religious divides

Get the popcorn and a chair.

Prepsol advocates in one corner and non -Prepsol in the other. And the same for Kleen Green. Why dont you just ask about chain lube as well to get the fight flowing?

Me - I dont like Prepsol - too aggressive. I have seen it remove paint.

Rather something less aggressive - I have used Kleen green gently sprayed on and washed off with a hose, maybe  a brush to loosen the tougher stuff.

Really just use common sense (types he realizing that this is the hub he is busy answering questions on) and avoid spraying anything to aggressive in to places that are moving (Like bearings, BBs and chains) and then re-lube with goos stuff afterwards.

Paraffin is great but its a pain in the ar$e to work with and very environmentally unfriendly. I killed half the lawn one afternoon when I first used it.

The Namgear stuff is great and really good value.  Buy the 5L bottles of bike wash (dilute 5:1 with water, spray on, wash off), chain cleaner and bike polish and they will last for a very long time.

I just use sunlight on my bike. Have never had an issue with it. What you use to clean your drivetrain depends on which lube you use. If you use a wax based lube, paraffin and stuff like Namgear's chain cleaner work best to get all the gunk off. If you use oils, Prepsol or a similar degreaser is going to work well. 

Edited by Rock Guy