What does bikehub-land think of the All Mountain Hardtail?

Odinson

A lot of you have probably seen this video on PB, but I thought it was worth sharing.

It's a shame that there are more MTB'ers in SA that consider long travel / AM hardtails when they're looking for an inexpensive bike that can kill it on most trails. I'm a proud owner of a Commie META AM hardtail and the bike is just so much fun and very versatile. 

Further, it is a bit of an untapped market in SA. Morewood and the rest of the Pyga crews should bring out a bike like this - it'll sell like hotcakes.

https://vimeo.com/91312863

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking the same thing when I saw this video. A lot of guys get it wrong imo. Rode the PYGA stage max at bergandbush and it was just overkill for most of our trails. And that thing climbs like a boat compared to my hardtail.

A decent amount of front travel on a proper hardtail will get you through anything. I ride a steel hardtail and it's just enough plush for everything that we ride in SA.

I want one. Forces you to become FAR more alert and exact in your movements. Plus, its helluva fun!

I love my Dartmoor Primal. I actually ride it more than I ride my fancy pants plastic trail bike. These play bike hardtails are totally underrated.

Very true regarding the skills sharpening. You have to actively ride the bike and not just have the suspension do the work for you.

However, it must be said, that they can be a cruel mistress at times, if you don't get your body position and/or line perfect.

Very true regarding the skills sharpening. You have to actively ride the bike and not just have the suspension do the work for you.

However, it must be said, that they can be a cruel mistress at times, if you don't get your body position and/or line perfect.

Oooooh yes. Like riding a meth-smoking pony.

First SS build was a steel HT with a 140mm fork.

Current HT is a nice AM steel HT with a 140mm fork, nice width Dartmoor Raider Wheels and a flipping awesome ride character.....just converted back to SS again.

Edited by Hairy

I been spending A LOT of time riding my One One Parkwood. Although more of a trail bike than an out and out AM bike, I''m running a 150mm fork and it slackens it out nicely.

I had forgotten how to ride a bike properly ... Suspension forgives so many mistakes, and you can get horribly out of shape and still pull off a recovery on a full suspension bike.

A hard tail makes you choose you lines more carefully, inputs are immediate and mistakes are punished ... Sounds scary hey ... strangely it isn't .. thrilling is the better word to decsribe it. All of these things make you feel more connected to the experience and the simplicity of everything has a deeply rewarding feeling.

The cliche' less is more is apt for a "give it horns, all mountain hardtail ". 

A lot of you have probably seen this video on PB, but I thought it was worth sharing.

It's a shame that there are more MTB'ers in SA that consider long travel / AM hardtails when they're looking for an inexpensive bike that can kill it on most trails. I'm a proud owner of a Commie META AM hardtail and the bike is just so much fun and very versatile. 

Further, it is a bit of an untapped market in SA. Morewood and the rest of the Pyga crews should bring out a bike like this - it'll sell like hotcakes.

https://vimeo.com/91312863

Mercer bikes in Cape Town do a 140mm Hungry Monkey frame and Ritchey do the 140mm Timberwolf frame.

12015048_404405013085436_139348826150257

http://mercerbikes.co.za/assets/HM-in-canyon.jpg

ccs-62657-0-94874100-1445337848.jpg