Open Tokai - Public Protest March

Louzy

Shot to the guys that are actually doing something.

Please keep up the good work.

One question Deon: has a plan for what Tokai will become been hatched? Before it brunt down it was quite OK, but the reset button that the fire hit and staring at those slopes every day while riding past it does make one think of how much better it could become with a fresh start -I hope that there is a plan for a world-class network of trails somewhere in the making.

There are acres of areas which were logged years ago, which is seeing no logging at present, why are these still closed / restricted? This march is not only about mtbing it is also about dog walker and trail runners who can very easily avoid the logging areas.

Looking at the latest google earth images and seeing the areas which have been logged I can see that there are a number of routes which can be opened up to Silvermine, to the Mast and to the south side of Tokai.

I dont expect the area to be opened up for large scale trail building and I couldn't care if no singletrack was constructed until all the logging is done, but there are means to allow areas to be used to access Silvermine, the Mast and other portions of Tokai.

There just seems to be no will to open the area up and to come up with some sort of compromise. If there was will and a bit of flexible / creative thinking we could be in there tomorrow.

Shot to the guys that are actually doing something.

Please keep up the good work.

One question Deon: has a plan for what Tokai will become been hatched? Before it brunt down it was quite OK, but the reset button that the fire hit and staring at those slopes every day while riding past it does make one think of how much better it could become with a fresh start -I hope that there is a plan for a world-class network of trails somewhere in the making.

Yes.

Lets say for arguments sake that there is a section of the mountain that is cleared and is away from the logging area. 

What are the possibilities of getting trails developed in this area and possibly routing away from trucks etc?

Eddy, that's the logic that prevails. It is also the one that opened discussions around a commute route off the tar up to Silvermine. I repeat, Parks called us in to discuss this further as an option.

As I said in my first post however, 1. the risk is not just logging, trees are falling all over the show due to damage and 2. logging is active in many parts of the area simultaneously. 

The big thing is that Parks are instructed by legal to keep people out based on 1. the terms set out by Cape Pine during work. Some compartments are sold off to private contractors meaning CP have the right to set out these terms. Private contractors I'm sure don't want to be saddled with any issues like injuries to public that impact on their activity so CP in effect are guaranteeing this.. and 2. the dead trees cannot withstand summer wind, meaning they are falling over. Currently there is no way beyond level 1 until at least March when these compartments lining any access route will be cleared.

Table Mountain National Park have been warned in terms of liability and if they were to allow early access we need to jump to the tune that won't see them taking a hit due to negligence. I find it crazy that this is being missed or ignored in discussions. It could be that for many they are not in fields where risk is a factor.

If my legal department told me not to do something, I'm sure I as well as any other reasonable person would listen for long enough to know why.

There are acres of areas which were logged years ago, which is seeing no logging at present, why are these still closed / restricted? This march is not only about mtbing it is also about dog walker and trail runners who can very easily avoid the logging areas.

Looking at the latest google earth images and seeing the areas which have been logged I can see that there are a number of routes which can be opened up to Silvermine, to the Mast and to the south side of Tokai.

I dont expect the area to be opened up for large scale trail building and I couldn't care if no singletrack was constructed until all the logging is done, but there are means to allow areas to be used to access Silvermine, the Mast and other portions of Tokai.

There just seems to be no will to open the area up and to come up with some sort of compromise. If there was will and a bit of flexible / creative thinking we could be in there tomorrow.

Again, options for early access up to Silvermine in the areas you mention are already on the table. I speak about this in my fist post on this thread.

Dog walkers have not been allowed access into Tokai since 1983. I wish them the best of luck demanding it now. I don't really want to smell like a dog's arse when I leave the reserve, (like in lower Tokai) so, because they have to consult me as another user of the Park, forgive me when I say I am going to contest it.

Are they felling on the weekends and when do they cease ops for the upcoming break?

Yes and quite late into December, if the private groups break at all. 

Are they felling on the weekends and when do they cease ops for the upcoming break?

update: private guys break on the 22nd but back again before new year. They want to salvage as much as possible, which makes sense as they now own them.

So, how did it go with the mighty march? Anyone from the Hub attend? Counted heads? Took pictures? Did Parks wet their panties? :ph34r:  :whistling: