Everesting in Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Betty's Bay area

Robhobbers

Hi looking for a good place to go Everesting in Stellenbosch, Somerset West , Betty's bay. I'm looking for a steep hill/gradient in these areas , was thinking of Hans se Kop. Looking for road or mtb routes .Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks :)

Hi looking for a good place to go Everesting in Stellenbosch, Somerset West , Betty's bay. I'm looking for a steep hill/gradient in these areas , was thinking of Hans se Kop. Looking for road or mtb routes .Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks :)

Steenbras Pump house?

Edited by Patchelicious

Mate of mine did it on the Franschhoek pass ascent on the Franschhoek side.

Might be worth checking out?

Edited by PhilipV

Head over to Strava and survey the areas climbs. Hans se Kop is only 163m in elevation for the 1.2km segment at 12%. I'm hoping you are going to have a support team with you or other riders. There have been a few bike jackings in the past on the Grabouw side on mtb trails.

Dude go do the ateenbras dam climb. No traffic to contend with and a serious gradient. Nice and long too. I'll come support of you do it!!

No traffic? Maybe not much traffic but don`t think there is no cars coming down with those fast blind corners. Take it easy going down, stay in the left lane, don`t think there are no cars coming up, it only takes one car to take a cyclist out.

In fact I would rate the descent on that hill as EXTREMELY dangerous because of the false sense of safely (no traffic...not) and blind corners.

Edited by Rocky Rider

No traffic? Maybe not much traffic but don`t think there is no cars coming down with those fast blind corners. Take it easy going down, stay in the left lane, don`t think there are no cars coming up, it only takes one car to take a cyclist out.

In fact I would rate the descent on that hill as EXTREMELY dangerous because of the false sense of safely (no traffic...not) and blind corners.

agree with this post. I've done this climb and the descent can be dangerous not because of cars but because idiotic cyclists decide to cycle up the wrong lane. Some of those bends are completely blind and I almost collided with 2 cyclists both who were on the wrong side of the road. Be careful.

Other than that, it's a fantastic climb. The view from the top is worth that effort.

Spookbult in Somerset West

Pumphouse climb (to Steenbras Dam entrance gate)

This is actually a cool different option.

If you start at the corner of Aberdeen and PV, and ride all the way up, but then come back down Rembrant and Dummer back onto Aberdeen and do that loop over and over, it will probbaly be more intereseting and safer than coming down Silverboom?

I am in Somerset for December. Hmmm maybe if I have a day to kill...... :thumbup:

If you plan to get onto the Hells 500 hall of fame there are rules you need to follow.

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

Highlights from the above link are:

1. To be accredited with the Everesting of a certain climb you must be the first person or group to have done it on said climb.

2. You must do complete reps of the chosen climb until 8848m have been ascended, you can stop mid rep when the elevation is reached.

3. You can't do loops you must go up and down the same route.

If you plan to get onto the Hells 500 hall of fame there are rules you need to follow.

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

Highlights from the above link are:

1. To be accredited with the Everesting of a certain climb you must be the first person or group to have done it on said climb.

2. You must do complete reps of the chosen climb until 8848m have been ascended, you can stop mid rep when the elevation is reached.

3. You can't do loops you must go up and down the same route.

Number 1 is wrong - you can Everest any hill no matter how many others have Everested there before. Suikerbossie has been done several times.

Number 1 is wrong - you can Everest any hill no matter how many others have Everested there before. Suikerbossie has been done several times.

You CAN Everest any hill, I couldnt care less about that rule.

If I Everest, it would be for me, not to get my name on some board.

The sponosrs who would give to the charities also would care about it being "official".

People really do try and "own" things for the wrong reasons....

Thats why I said "If you plan to". Just trying to empower you guys with knowledge so you can make informed decisions about your attempt.

Another site that is handy is https://everesting.io it works out how many reps you will need to do.

I totally get that its for your own mental and physical cycling journey.

I agree with the methods the hells 500 guys suggest so it wasn't an issue for me to follow them.

Each to his own. I really encourage anyone thinking of doing an everest to do it. It will show you things about yourself you didn't know existed. Plus its just a freeking cool thing to do on a bike.

• 2 weeks later...