TokaiMTB Update: Possible earlier access?

TokaiMTB

TokaiMTB, together with PPA and Amarider met with Table Mountain National Park management in Tokai for a further in-depth discussion regarding the ongoing logging operations and reopening timelines for recreational activities in the Tokai precinct and surrounds.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks gwhite. Silence is often a precursor to good news.

TokaiMTB is going nowhere for the foreseeable future, so expect more news in time.

Keep in mind it is not always possible to get all the news out as a lot of the plans change daily. Some may not see the importance of releasing solid info, we however do.

There is still a process running trying to maintain how or what trails are rebuilt. This will be in the next newsletter, hopefully soon. ;)

Thanks for this.

What date will Silvermine West be reopening?

Would also like to know. Letter states December, so an exact date would be great.

Cant wait to start riding in Silvermine again.

Hmmm... months of silence and then suddenly this newsletter a couple of days before a planned community march to get some answers? 

I for one do not and have never shared TokaiMTB's approach of 'No new is good news'. What a load of bollocks.

The above newsletter tells me nothing that I don't already know. Simply put, Tokai is closed and nobody can or wants to say when it will re-open. Why? Well I think because of all the other questions that will have no answers. Like, will trails already have been created, what will fees be? What is the plan we are being told and what will actually happen? etc. 

Tokai will have been closed for almost 2 years when it (possibly) re-opens... with no work done to it except tons and tons of machinery / trees having being dragged across its surface and judging by previous trail building, this would mean another waiting period of probably a minimum of 2 years before any trails are completed. Especially if things pick up where they left off before the fires.

Just as an example, Helderberg trails are officially opening on the 12th of Dec. You know how long Jan and his team have been building there to get it to this point? Years. And they have been building daily and have now acquired machinery to further improve on the building and speeding things up.

The trail network that has developed across the peninsula and surrounds since the closure of Tokai has been amazing. Lots of effort is/has been made by most of the stakeholders to give the trail users what they want. But most importantly, there is a sense of community with regular articles, updates, new trails, questions floating about on how to improve this or that etc. 

Perhaps TokaiMTB should maybe place a little more importance on the issue of transparency & public involvement and keeping the communication channels going. Because at this rate, come opening day, you may find a much shorter queue than you anticipated.

Is Silvermine West already open / opening this month? It's not clear from this extremely vague statement. 

Exactly as per my question above. The letter says December so being December can we assume it is open?

Would also like to know. Letter states December, so an exact date would be great.

Ive heard 12Dec is when wa pad and noordhoek peaks will be opened.

exactly,.....December has 31 days

Yes but access could be granted in stages starting in July August 2016

Which also hopefully means that some rebuilding can occur in the month before. Just glad that there's a significant chance of it being an 7-8 month wait instead of a year.