Cycling retailers-constant let down.

Brickleberry

I've been spoilt living in London. If I want something, I check the retailers website and select the store closest to me to see if they have stock. If they don't, I order the item and it is ready for collection the next day.

This way I get what I want and I still get to go and browse around the store, which I suppose is what every retailer wants.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the reality. It is happening to Walmart and the LBS.

LBS have to compete on service, knowledge and immediacy. Quite frankly they are almost like a new car dealers, you make 7.5% margin on a car. You sell lots of accessories that are small and cheap like lube, tubes etc and make your money on service and hope for a small volume rebate from suppliers. If you sell some high end stuff every now and again that is the cream on the top.

This is very different to what I was moaning about.

LBS adapting to a changing market is different to consumers intentionally misusing a LBS dudes time.

In your comparison it would be like a person walking into a new car shop, taking the sales dudes time to explain, demo, test ride, decide options etc, the taking a copy of the OTP and ordering it online later after shopping for a place which would knock a few percent off.

I'm all for supporting the LBS and getting my stuff from them too but I get the OP point. You walk in almost expecting to be told "no we don't but can order it for you".

Do any of you have a LBS that has a decent and detailed website with regards to stock and price etc? Asking cos I can't seem to find any....

I can understand the op.

I am in a different business but also retail. I again have a problem with suppliers. I can never get good quality items or even the type of items that I need. Most of the stuff are imported from china. There are some decent quality items, but the european made items are what I am after. The suppliers dont keep in stock and are not willing to purchase these items as majority of retailers wont buy it. 

I had a chat with one supplier and there is only one other business that will buy the same items that we do and they are in Jo'berg.

Suppose supply and demand. However 90% of our customers are willing to pay for these items.

I'm all for supporting the LBS and getting my stuff from them too but I get the OP point. You walk in almost expecting to be told "no we don't but can order it for you".

Do any of you have a LBS that has a decent and detailed website with regards to stock and price etc? Asking cos I can't seem to find any....

I think this would be the best answer, if lbs had a website with stock levels...this would safe you the time of travelling there to go look for non existent stock....you could check for stock online go there and barter a bit (maybe take an online price with you)...you are happy you got what you wanted, and got to feel it, before you bought it at an agreed discounted price, and the lbs gets the sale and probably +1, as you browse the store .. i think this is what has made cwc (i am making assumption) so successful as they have a strong online presence for their stores. Edited by KingTJ

You can usually find common parts online for less than your LBS but the courier cost can erode the saving unless you buy a number of items at a time.

International online stores can seem attractive but dont forget courier, clearing fees, VAT and duty on certain items.

Some of the online stores are catching on to the free delivery over a certain amount idea.

Im a real stickler when it comes to delivery charges!

This is very different to what I was moaning about.

LBS adapting to a changing market is different to consumers intentionally misusing a LBS dudes time.

In your comparison it would be like a person walking into a new car shop, taking the sales dudes time to explain, demo, test ride, decide options etc, the taking a copy of the OTP and ordering it online later after shopping for a place which would knock a few percent off.

Patchelicious, I am sad to say this is exactly what happens on many occasions.

Guest notmyname

For me a big part of the joy I take from cycling is working on my own bikes. Online make sense be it local or international suppliers.

Interesting watching what is going on at the moment in Kenilworth Main Road where I work - Cycology/ Specialized have put some serious capital in, it all looks great - I think its now what JOC call a 'premium store' - obviously a certain market segment they are after - "I want to see it and walk away with it now - price not so important".

The pressure is on the smaller guy - Cycle Teknix - although they already seem to be a hybrid of walk in and online.

Guys bike shop seemed to close without much fanfare.

The disrupter (the new buzz word) is Olympic now going head to head with Cycology.

Who will survive? Hopefully the one who satisfies the customer - power's in the hands of the consumer now.

Imagine the nightmare for the LBS with the exchange rate going to the dogs?

I do have some sympathy but the service from bike shops in my area varies hugely. Then I suspect some of the problem lies with the licenced distributors who also don't keep much stock and, in some cases offer poor service (Shimano - just wait until the next shipment arrives!).

Maybe the answer for the LBS is to focus on items not that easy to buy online (clothing and the more complex components where a visual matchup is needed (for me anyway)) and/or have a source where they can obtain parts for the same or lower cost than online and in the same or quicker time (i.e. sneak an account with CRC without the distributors noticing).

I agree with most of what has been said to a certain extent, and while i am slowly becoming more of fan / more trusting of online shopping, i still love browsing and checking what other stuff is around...

To take an example, we were looking for some slime, grips, a frame and a cycling top over the weekend. As we had time, we drove around a bit - Mike's Bikes in Greenside, Linden cycles, Sportsmans Warehouse, Northcliff Cycles, Cajees Cycle Corner and Cyclelab.

At some of these we ended up just browsing as they stock less of what we needed, but we got slime for much less than we could get it online, grips at a steal, saw and fitted a top i that i loved, which i probably wouldn't have found / considered online, saw a few cool frames and a few that we also would not necessarily have thought to be possible buys by checking it online.

We went for these items, but browsed through the rest of the shops and that's going to have me go back and buy a helmet that is on sale from the one (i checked last night, this specific markdown is advertised on their website as well, so good on them) and possibly a 29er from the other. I love considering my options after seeing everything and fitting everything that is on offer, so i like the physical shop and having a chat with the owner.

I find Mike's Bikes extremely helpful when you need to find something not widely stocked (ordered an earo / TT bottle a few months ago hrough them) and when it comes to basic bike setups, advice and i just generally like the friendly service you always get from them as well as all the oddities and cool stuff in their shop.

Linden stocks what seem to be quite a nice selection of reasonably priced new bikes, so if i hd been looking at buying a full bike, it's not a bad place to go have a look.

Sportsmans is sportsmans....they've got the basics, but for a retail store it's not bad and i have found stuff there quite regularly.

Northcliff....i love that place! While their full bikes are mostly above what i could spend at the moment, i love the rest of their stock and have found many bargains there over the last few months. Found an inline seatpost amongst their older stock for a 3rd of the price that i could get it anywhere else (online or shop), we got some proper discount on Oakleys a while ago, slime was less than half the price of most other places and they are having great deals on helmets... Have had only good experiences there and it's advised to spend some time browsing - some items are not marked with prices, but Alex gives very fair prices on these items, especially if it is from their older stock.

Cajees stock a lot of stuff, but i found it quite a mission to wade through what to me felt quite a disorganised setup, having to climb over some items to see what is hidden behind, while still charging a pretty penny for a lot of it. That said...they have some pretty cool frames, even if most of it is older.

And Cyclelab...saw a very good deal on a 2nd hand mtb from a shop that i mostly perceive to be a little overpriced. But the experience is and always have been very pleasant in a well setup shop with pretty stuff on display.

So that was going through from probably one of the smallest to some of the biggest shops....all have their place and overall i like going round to see what they have hidden in the corners. I do quite a bit of research before buying anything, so compare these vs the internet and the shops do not always come out too badly priced, so i have mostly opted to go back to them and getting my goodies there

I agree with most of what has been said to a certain extent, and while i am slowly becoming more of fan / more trusting of online shopping, i still love browsing and checking what other stuff is around...

To take an example, we were looking for some slime, grips, a frame and a cycling top over the weekend. As we had time, we drove around a bit - Mike's Bikes in Greenside, Linden cycles, Sportsmans Warehouse, Northcliff Cycles, Cajees Cycle Corner and Cyclelab.

At some of these we ended up just browsing as they stock less of what we needed, but we got slime for much less than we could get it online, grips at a steal, saw and fitted a top i that i loved, which i probably wouldn't have found / considered online, saw a few cool frames and a few that we also would not necessarily have thought to be possible buys by checking it online.

We went for these items, but browsed through the rest of the shops and that's going to have me go back and buy a helmet that is on sale from the one (i checked last night, this specific markdown is advertised on their website as well, so good on them) and possibly a 29er from the other. I love considering my options after seeing everything and fitting everything that is on offer, so i like the physical shop and having a chat with the owner.

I find Mike's Bikes extremely helpful when you need to find something not widely stocked (ordered an earo / TT bottle a few months ago hrough them) and when it comes to basic bike setups, advice and i just generally like the friendly service you always get from them as well as all the oddities and cool stuff in their shop.

Linden stocks what seem to be quite a nice selection of reasonably priced new bikes, so if i hd been looking at buying a full bike, it's not a bad place to go have a look.

Sportsmans is sportsmans....they've got the basics, but for a retail store it's not bad and i have found stuff there quite regularly.

Northcliff....i love that place! While their full bikes are mostly above what i could spend at the moment, i love the rest of their stock and have found many bargains there over the last few months. Found an inline seatpost amongst their older stock for a 3rd of the price that i could get it anywhere else (online or shop), we got some proper discount on Oakleys a while ago, slime was less than half the price of most other places and they are having great deals on helmets... Have had only good experiences there and it's advised to spend some time browsing - some items are not marked with prices, but Alex gives very fair prices on these items, especially if it is from their older stock.

Cajees stock a lot of stuff, but i found it quite a mission to wade through what to me felt quite a disorganised setup, having to climb over some items to see what is hidden behind, while still charging a pretty penny for a lot of it. That said...they have some pretty cool frames, even if most of it is older.

And Cyclelab...saw a very good deal on a 2nd hand mtb from a shop that i mostly perceive to be a little overpriced. But the experience is and always have been very pleasant in a well setup shop with pretty stuff on display.

So that was going through from probably one of the smallest to some of the biggest shops....all have their place and overall i like going round to see what they have hidden in the corners. I do quite a bit of research before buying anything, so compare these vs the internet and the shops do not always come out too badly priced, so i have mostly opted to go back to them and getting my goodies there

Jeez mate - are you a woman? That amount of shopping for things would drive me crazy. You are definitely getting in touch with your female side.

I go for the instant gratification kind of thing - if its cheaper down the road I still have to schlep there to get it. Online it comes to me. And I can do other things in the interim.

But your assessment of the shops is good - tend to agree with you.

FWIW: Not sure what medical aid you are on but if on Momentum and you are on Multiply you can order online vouchers at up to 20% discount for cyclelab and then after that you can use the club membership for further discount. It means you are getting up to 25% off the sticker price.