Tow bar - buying in Cape Town area ?

Roadie_

Hi folks

I'm considering buying a towbar mounted 2 bike carrier, as they are much simpler to use than fiddling with the straps on the boot/hatch carriers.

The price I've been quoted (for the towbar) is R6k upwards which is a bit steep as I only need it when I want to carry 2 bikes (when solo, I just put the bike in the hatchback).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced tow bar place in Cape Town area?

Thanks.

Edited by Roadie for now

What car?

I bought a hilux tow bar secondhand (not like my bakkie was new anymore anyways) on gumtree for 1k and hilux was quoting me 5k, paid a company another R400 or something to put it on and for the wiring kit.

But i have had good prices and services from scorpion exhaust in strand. They do bosal as far as i know.

Are you looking for a towbar or a bike rack?

I

What car?

I bought a hilux tow bar secondhand (not like my bakkie was new anymore anyways) on gumtree for 1k and hilux was quoting me 5k, paid a company another R400 or something to put it on and for the wiring kit.

But i have had good prices and services from scorpion exhaust in strand. They do bosal as far as i know.

Thanks, will try them.

Are you looking for a towbar or a bike rack?

I'm looking for a tow bar (I suppose all the light plugs etc as well). Will then look for a thule quick clip on else the full carrier with lights etc.

Whatever decision you make, never leave you bikes locked/unattended on the back of your car!!!!

They know how to remove 4 bolts and steal not only your bike carrier but your bikes too!!!

I know this is not something which someone shopping for a towbar wants to hear, but don't skimp on quality or labour. Modern vehicles have complex electronics, splicing into the loom is not a simple "plug it in" story these days. I know someone who had quite a few electronics issues due to his towbar.

Between R5k and R10k is the going rate. If you're going to be spending R6k or R7k on a Thule rack, I don't think that's unreasonable.

If you think R6k is steep: I was looking at buying a C-Class coupe recently and asked about a removable option. Because of the AMG bumper, they quoted me R30k. Yip, not a typo...

Edited by Martin Hattingh

If you think R6k is steep: I was looking at buying a C-Class coupe recently and asked about a removable option. Because of the AMG bumper, they quoted me R30k. Yip, not a typo...

Was it not an electronic one?

I have one on my car and its awesome. No tow bar when I dont need it, press a button when I do and it pops out from under the bumper.

I have one on my car and its awesome. No tow bar when I dont need it, press a button when I do and it pops out from under the bumper.

Sounds like some bladdy James Bond action right there! Must have been quite expensive though I'm sure.

Yip, it was.

Most BMW X cars have that specced these days, unlucky for me it became available the production year after mine. Will definitely have it on the next one!

I bought a polo a few years back, the car didn't have a towbar on so i asked the guy to have one put on. He phoned me the next morning saying they pulled the car on the lift to add the new towbar only to find out the car already has one. (not as fancy as the button push more the get out and pull it out yourself ones).

Salesman still tried to alter the price of the car seeing its got a towbar now and i told him it doesn't work that way. He gave it to me but asked i shouldn't mention it to anyone at the garage.  :whistling:

6k for a towbar? I had mine put on last year for about R2800 from the dealer and Oh did his with supa quik for R2500.

Towbarscape.co.za

These guys are super expensive. I called them to take a tow bar off my GF's i20 and fit it on my i20 because she was trading the car in. They wanted to charge me R2500 labour. If i bought a new tow bar from them it would be R6000. R6000 for a tow bar for a i20, that's insane!

I called these guys http://www.tyresandmore.com/ and they charged me R500 labour to take off and put on a tow bar. I asked about a new one and he said roughly will be R3500 for a detachable one.

Edited by Daezara

I built my o since they wanted to charge me 5K for one for my car. But that was the going rate everywhere I called for my car.

It also seems the more complicated the electronics, the more expensive the towbar.