2016 Cannondale Scalpel 2 vs 2016 Momsen Vipa Team

michaelbiker

I know this is can be one of those annoying threads, but as its almost impossible to test these bikes out in the real world, I just wanted to get another person's opinion (real world or not). Both go for roughly the same price. The Vipa is a full XTR bike (XTR9000) while the Scalpel is X01. As a matter of personal preference, I prefer SRAM but I have read rave reviews of the new XTR.

I really, really like the look of the Lefty, but have never ridden one, so I cannot tell whether it will perform better than the Fox that comes on the Momsen. The Lefty 2.0 is included on the Scalpel.

For reference I currently ride a 9kg Orbea hardtail. So I will be coming from a very stiff, responsive frame.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lefty is the clincher or deal breaker then get the scalpel. Lefty 2.0 is an amazing suspension. Tracks better than anything and with rock shox internals it's very well damped

Just bought a Scalpel 2 from Bike Addict three weeks ago. My first Dual Suspension bike so have nothing to compare it to but it sure rides like a dream.

Stop reading if your mind is set on the Scalpel...

Thread Hijacking starting in.....3..2..1

The only problem that I have is with Cannondale's (Omnico) after service. Within the first week I had to replace the front wheel bearing. After doing the Trails of Origins this past weekend (Awesome Event) my Lefty collapse on me Tuesday. Took it to the Bike Shop and they said they will send it to Omnico via courier....living in Malmesbury it would take some time so took it myself on Wednesday morning. Guy at Omnico said he knows what is wrong and they only need to replace a spring witch is better than the one broken now. I ask if I can wait and he said it would be unfair to the other guys Forks witch is inline. Witch I understand.... Thursday morning they send a mail to Bike Addict with my "Shock service" (not repair) invoice at R0.01 This was all good until they forgot to send my shock with the couriers. They wanted to know if I would drive and come and collect it because they forgot about it. WHAT????$%%^&

I should have stayed with SilverBack and waited for the Sesta. After Service at SilverBack is rock solid.

Sorry Michael for the Hijack....

See you on the trails....

The Vipa frame is not the best out there. Lots and lots of warrantee replacements. 

Xtr vs xo1, Xo1 wins easily. I ride both at the moment and xtr is not even close.

So ja, Crack and fail over the Momsen, but there are many better options out there

Like Johnny said, there are many other options out there, if you're keen on having an XC bike.

You seem intent on spending a fair amount of cash, so take your time and explore all your options.

The Vipa frame is not the best out there. Lots and lots of warrantee replacements. 

Xtr vs xo1, Xo1 wins easily. I ride both at the moment and xtr is not even close.

So ja, Crack and fail over the Momsen, but there are many better options out there

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same about XO vs XTR. Any suggestions on what other XC bikes would be a good choice in this price range?

I wouldn't look at vipa due to tire clearance a the rear an pedigree.

Bikes I would look at trek, pyga stage, rocky element.

I would definitely go for the Rocky Element before any other bike. I`m very glad I did.

xsfJbJp_UcOOBqNKxgMrkCVsXGUssuTXnkN1vMjR

Edited by Rocky Rider

If I was in the market now for a dual I would seriously look at either the pyga stage or the scalpel (I can't afford an epic s works so that is the only reason not on my list...)

I would consider the scalpel or giant anthem. Anthem has a more sorted rear suspension, more responsive in terms of bump compliance and traction.

Put a lefty 2.0 on an anthem and you'll have what is pretty much the best marathon bike and some change left for assos kit

No don`t go for an Anthem. The rear suspension is good for trail riding but less good for racing. The chainstays are too long. The BB is too low.

No don`t go for an Anthem. The rear suspension is good for trail riding but less good for racing. The chainstays are too long. The BB is too low.

Yeah, I want something light and fast. Most of my riding is done on fire roads and jeep track. I also like to ride to my trails, so there is a bit of road thrown in too. Average distance for a ride is around 40-60km. The reason I want an FS is that downhills have never been as fun for me since I went hard tail, but on the other hand climbs have become a lot more enjoyable. So I don't want to make too many compromises going back to FS, hence the scalpel which I have heard and read is a fantastic climber too.