Review: Niner R.I.P. 9 RDO 4-Star X01

Iwan Kemp

The R.I.P 9 is Niner's do-everything trail bike with 125-millimetres of rear-wheel travel. The RDO 4-star (Race Day Optimised) is a full carbon model that sits second from the top in the range. It features a carbon swingarm and rocker links with oversized aluminium axles. The suspension design is Niner's own patented CVA (Constantly Varying Arc) dual-link rear suspension.

Click here to view the article

Good review, Iwan!

The seat angle looks quite slack. Was it noticeable during climbing? Further, why was the bike specced with an XT shifter and not a SRAM unit?

It has to be said: R96k for a bike with Flow rims and XT brakes?! Madness.

What trails did you ride this bike on?  I think that would be a nice addition to reviews so that readers get a general idea of what types of trails the products were tested on to gauge whether it is similar to what they usually ride.

E.g. if this bike did well on Rosemary Hill it wouldn't really convince a rider who usually rides Jonkers and Steilte which is more technical and extreme in its ascents and descents.

Just some constructive feedback ;)

Good review, Iwan!

The seat angle looks quite slack. Was it noticeable during climbing? Further, why was the bike specced with an XT shifter and not a SRAM unit?

It has to be said: R96k for a bike with Flow rims and XT brakes?! Madness.

Thanks.

Seat angle is 73.5 with a 120mm fork and 72.5 with a 140mm - did not find it too slack or something that bothered me on climbs. Must be testimony to the CVA that does not squat under load. I would  still prefer it to be 73.5 with a 140mm fork, though.

Bike was build while Niner SA was still waiting for parts kits to arrive. 

What trails did you ride this bike on?  I think that would be a nice addition to reviews so that readers get a general idea of what types of trails the products were tested on to gauge whether it is similar to what they usually ride.

E.g. if this bike did well on Rosemary Hill it wouldn't really convince a rider who usually rides Jonkers and Steilte which is more technical and extreme in its ascents and descents.

Just some constructive feedback ;)

Yeah, taken and I agree. Have done that in a review or two only to get a PM saying it doesn't help as they don't ride in CT so have no reference of the trails mentioned. Can't please everyone.

But I agree 100%, some reference of trails would help and maybe so you know how I approach it: I look at the bike and it's intended purpose then pick what trails to ride. The Reign for instance saw some Paarl action - it was one of the very few bikes I reviewed this year that had to crack it there. 

Once I've ridden those I try a trail or route or two that would push the bike's boundaries to see if it would be happy outside of it's comfort zone. 

I always make sure a bike gets ridden on varying terrain. Fast / flowy + rocky / technical + whatever else. One of the reasons we insist a bike to spend some time at Bike HQ in order for us to get a good understanding of it. And because we like bikes.

Thanks.

Seat angle is 73.5 with a 120mm fork and 72.5 with a 140mm - did not find it too slack or something that bothered me on climbs. Must be testimony to the CVA that does not squat under load. I would  still prefer it to be 73.5 with a 140mm fork, though.

Bike was build while Niner SA was still waiting for parts kits to arrive. 

Yeah, taken and I agree. Have done that in a review or two only to get a PM saying it doesn't help as they don't ride in CT so have no reference of the trails mentioned. Can't please everyone.

But I agree 100%, some reference of trails would help and maybe so you know how I approach it: I look at the bike and it's intended purpose then pick what trails to ride. The Reign for instance saw some Paarl action - it was one of the very few bikes I reviewed this year that had to crack it there. 

Once I've ridden those I try a trail or route or two that would push the bike's boundaries to see if it would be happy outside of it's comfort zone. 

I always make sure a bike gets ridden on varying terrain. Fast / flowy + rocky / technical + whatever else. One of the reasons we insist a bike to spend some time at Bike HQ in order for us to get a good understanding of it. And because we like bikes.

I think that's the perfect approach.  Use as intended and then at the end push it a bit beyond to see where the limits lie.  Anything else would be unfair to the product.

Perhaps consider taking a picture or two of the trails where tested for universal reference?  Or even better, a picture or short vid of the product being tested :)

After all, more content makes for happier readers.

I think that's the perfect approach.  Use as intended and then at the end push it a bit beyond to see where the limits lie.  Anything else would be unfair to the product.

Perhaps consider taking a picture or two of the trails where tested for universal reference?  Or even better, a picture or short vid of the product being tested :)

After all, more content makes for happier readers.

Yeah, working on that as well and, quite funnily, tried some video and photo "selfies" of me riding riding at Meerendal. But it proved to be quite a challenge and it's more fun to just ride than to stuff around with cameras and angles and other nonsense.

But yeah, riding pics and vids in reviews would be nice.