Who has ridden up the Galgeberg near McGregor?

Bicyclegear

This last weekend, www.bicyclegear.co.za were fortunate to spend some time out near Bonnievale at the Drecaso Chalets and Conference.

The area has quiet district roads as well as a plethora of designated mountain bike trails throughout the valley. The chalets are an ideal place to use as a base to explore and train.

We rode a 92km loop from the chalets to McGregor. Then up the Bosmanskloof Pass and back along another route. We climbed in total, 1200 metres over 92km's.

When we reached the top of the Bosmanskloof Pass, we could clearly see the road wind up the Galgeberg to the antenna on top.

Has anyone ridden up to the mast? I have looked on "Strava Heatmaps" and clearly see the route has been lit up. We would love to hear how the experience was and to see some photos.

post-49768-0-47397600-1449500211_thumb.jpg

I did it years ago, we where staying at Whipstock Farm for a weekend jol. I was the only cyclist in the group and did a solo trip up on the Saturday afternoon when the rest of the group were taking naps. I do remember suffering from lower back pain at the time due to the continuous uphill (I have since sorted that problem out with lots of situps).

It was something like 1h20 min up, maybe longer and 15 min down. It was pre strava days, perhaps also pre cell phone camera days. So no stats or pictures, only my word :)

The real highlight is at the top : a breathtaking view down into the valley, the Boosmanskloof or Boesmanskloof, the Greyton McGregor hiking trail runs along this valley. This hike is also a must do, by the way.

I did it years ago, we where staying at Whipstock Farm for a weekend jol. I was the only cyclist in the group and did a solo trip up on the Saturday afternoon when the rest of the group were taking naps. I do remember suffering from lower back pain at the time due to the continuous uphill (I have since sorted that problem out with lots of situps).

It was something like 1h20 min up, maybe longer and 15 min down. It was pre strava days, perhaps also pre cell phone camera days. So no stats or pictures, only my word :)

The real highlight is at the top : a breathtaking view down into the valley, the Boosmanskloof or Boesmanskloof, the Greyton McGregor hiking trail runs along this valley. This hike is also a must do, by the way.

Hi Mr Legs,

Did you record the height difference from Boesmanskloof to the top? What was the average gradient for this section?

We are doing the hike this weekend! Didn't know there is a road going up to the top?

There is a tarred road going up from the point where you set off on the hike down to Greyton. It winds itself all the way up to the antenna...

Hi Mr Legs,

Did you record the height difference from Boesmanskloof to the top? What was the average gradient for this section?

Hi BG

My trip was about 15 years ago, low tech days it was. I might have had a speedometer on the bike, but not much else. Gradient was steep, at times I was in granny, but I weigh 95, so I am not the worlds' fastest climber.

I started on the farm and that is a few hundred meters above the valley floor. Why don't you see what info you can gather from Google earth?

I did it earlier this year - https://www.strava.com/activities/233329302#6803581750

Very slow solo ride to stretch the legs.

It's a loooong way up, and it's pretty steep in sections.  I didn't get to see the view from the top as there was a lot of cloud, but going up it was nice.  There was quite a lot of wildlife as well which was nice.  My dad has been to the top when it's clear and said that the view is amazing.

I did it earlier this year - https://www.strava.com/activities/233329302#6803581750

It's a loooong way up, and it's pretty steep in sections.  I didn't get to see the view from the top as there was a lot of cloud, but going up it was nice.  There was quite a lot of wildlife as well which was nice.  My dad has been to the top when it's clear and said that the view is amazing.

Thanks will look at the data...

Great, it is really cool to see the gradient etc.

With regard to the view at the top, in a previous post post I used the word breathtaking. This is one spot where the expression is literally true. Apart from the view into the valley below, you can also see four towns, Robertson, Ashton, McGregor and Bonnivale (I think, not sure).

That's one nasty climb....sure sounds worth it though!

yo yo yo  :eek:

Look like this is just below the lookout:

attachicon.gif2015-12-08_21-08-00.png

Yes, that is the Galg, an old unfinished pass at the McGregor side of the valley. The intention was that the pass would go all the way to Greyton, but the contractor disappeared / money run out  and only a small section was built. You can see by the debris / rocks on the right hand side below the road, that they did not use environmentally friendly construction methods.

At the top on the right is a sort of a plateau and the road to the towers starts there and ends up to the left and high above the old pass.

ok. my mind is in the mountains right now! - who or what is on the hairpin bend at 1000m?

I wondered the same thing.  Looks like some kind of retreat.  They seem to have made the place out of the rocks from the mountain, which is cool.  Gave me something to think about for the rest of the way up  ^_^