The inaugural Munga has a fairy tale finish!

News bot

The Munga ‏@TheMungaMTB 1h1 hour ago
WP9. Tankwa River Lodge. Thanks Peter! If you're looking for a special place to stay in the middle of nowhere!

post-4329-0-04778700-1449591819_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-75995500-1449591819_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-35599900-1449591820_thumb.jpg

I hope this gets the recognition it deserves on other  social media too. Very well done.

I hope so too. Word from some of the riders I've spoken to is that Alex did a fantastic job as race director, above and beyond!  At the water points on the farms the riders went through, the people fell over their feet to help or accommodate the riders where they could right through the nights. Alex is in fact tracing the route back at this moment stopping at each and every location to thank them for their hospitality and for making this race such a success!

i really hope he keeps the numbers down - if even 200 riders do this the "special" stuff these folk do by offering their homes goes out the window. 

i say keep it small, keep it exclusive, and if it works, dont be shy to charge for it

First part of Mike's thoughts on the Munga is on his blog at http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za/

2 things stand out

Within a few kilometres we were riding down our first gravel road. The people in front of me snaked all over the road — the first corrugations. Switching across the road looking for the sweet spot would become an all too common experience during the race. Some roads simply didn't have a good riding line and you settled for something just short of awful. 

Less than two hours in I rolled in to the first of many sandpits. It was not unlike the well trampled sand at the top end of a Durban beach. In places there were no ways around the wretched stuff as the track was hemmed in by freshly ploughed lands. Ahead of me I saw Tim Brink pushing his skinny wheeled Gravel Bike through the thick sand and thought wryly that he may well have preferred a fat bike at this stage. In any event, I rode up on the grassy edges where I could and eventually ended up plodding through the sand. Sand cleared, I saddled up, pointed my bike in the direction of the purple line on my GPS screen, and headed off toward water point 1.

So far it's:

Dirt-rider - 1st in line

nathrix ® ©™ - 2nd in line

Slowbee - 3rd in line

:w00t:

Would have loved to have joined you guys, but I missed the entry date cut-off......

Would have loved to have joined you guys, but I missed the entry date cut-off......

:eek: , I almost lost breakfast ...... dont scare a man like that, jislaaikie.....

• 3 weeks later...