Chapman's Peak Drive remains off limits for cyclists

News bot

Repair work on the catch fences above Chapman’s Peak Drive that were severely damaged during the fires of March 2015 has been completed. The only outstanding work on the contract is minor cleaning work and the planting of indigenous plants. The planting will be done early next year. The road will be open to two-way motor vehicle traffic during the December holiday period. However, no cyclists or pedestrians will be permitted on the road for safety reasons.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has never been enforced. Thousands of cyclists on that road every weekend.

....and watch all hell break loose when someone gets drilled by a 50kg rock

Why people think they are safe inside their cars baffles me !?!

P.S. the rock does not actually fall on the car! 

:eek:  I nearly wet my pants just watching this

....and watch all hell break loose when someone gets drilled by a 50kg rock

The alternative is Constania Nek with the 1000kg taxi's.

People get drilled by those often. 

Spoke to the guy at the top with the flag, he said I am not here to stop you, just to advise you there was a rock fall 3 weeks ago.

I drove there yesterday in my car and rocks fell just a couple of meters in front of my car. Faaaaaaaak !!!!

Chapmans Peak is a rock fall zone. It can happen any time. The nets and barriers will catch big rocks. The little ones will get through and end up on the road. I know the risk when I drive my car there, and I know the risk when I cycle there. It is miniscule.

!!!!

By comparison, just cycling through Camps Bay and Clifton to get there is many times more dangerous because of the much more hectic traffic. Riding from home to link up with the (safe) Millnerton cycle path is much more dangerous because of the traffic and armed bike jackings.

Chappies is safer on both counts. You make your choice, I know what I will do!

Edited by DJR