Gordon's Bay to Hermanus and maybe onto Gansbaai

JKK

Good day all

I'm heading to the Cape next weekend.

Going to be staying a stone's throw from Gordon's Bay.

Is it safe to ride between Gordon's Bay and Hermanus on the R44 and R43?

Looks like it will make for awesome riding...

Otherwise, suggested road routes in the area?

Thanks!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there 

that road you are talking about is very narrow and its a mountain pass. i have seen guys ride through to rooielse ( spelling ) but actually haven't met anyone that rode all the way to hermanus. 

Suggested route : from gordons bay through to stellenbosch up helshoogte and then back that should be interesting and fun.

happy cycling 

Good day all

I'm heading to the Cape next weekend.

Going to be staying a stone's throw from Gordon's Bay.

Is it safe to ride between Gordon's Bay and Hermanus on the R44 and R43?

Looks like it will make for awesome riding...

Otherwise, suggested road routes in the area?

Thanks!!

Will be down there around the same time. We will be doing a few Somerset West to Kleimond and back and Somerset to Franshoek and back rides..... Welcome to join.

the R44 from gordons bay thru pringle bay and klienmond is pretty safe for cycling (with a few tight bits closer to gordons ) and its a marked cycle route for what that's worth safety wise ie nothing :whistling:

the R44 then joins the R43 to hermanus and gets a bit tighter from hawston to hermanus (and busier)

after hermanus the R43 to Stanford and gansbaai is tight with no shoulder and fast traffic (I wouldn't recommend it in silly xmas season)

the R43 loop from gordons to klienmond and back is a super ride with a stop at klienmond waterfront for a café break :thumbup:

red tail flasher required

Edited by kaimeracycles

Will be down there around the same time. We will be doing a few Somerset West to Kleimond and back and Somerset to Franshoek and back rides..... Welcome to join.

Will definitely be keen to join!

Will PM my contact details

the R44 from gordons bay thru pringle bay and klienmond is pretty safe for cycling (with a few tight bits closer to gordons ) and its a marked cycle route for what that's worth safety wise ie nothing :whistling:

the R44 then joins the R43 to hermanus and gets a bit tighter from hawston to hermanus (and busier)

after hermanus the R43 to Stanford and gansbaai is tight with no shoulder and fast traffic (I wouldn't recommend it in silly xmas season)

the R43 loop from gordons to klienmond and back is a super ride with a stop at klienmond waterfront for a café break :thumbup:

red tail flasher required

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it!

Done it. It is  narrow and it snakes all along the sea to Rooi Els. Weather permitting, that road is choked with cyclists. The locals have a carrier fitted to their bikes, probably for something to eat and drink. It is a mostly spectacular scenic route that is many times more beautiful than Chapman's. 9IMHO). There are many view points to catch a breather or wait for traffic to pass. Beware. 22km from GB you get to Rooi Els where a hell of a climb awaits. Around 2-3km long and very steep towards Bettty's bay. Enjoy. I have not gone further than Kleinmond. Have some cash on hand. You never know about those little pubs along the way.

I've also done the route from Gordons Bay to Betty's Bay and back. I never went further than Betty's Bay.

All I can say is that it's a fantastic route. Probably the most scenic in Cape Town because a lot of the route is hugging the coastline so plenty of photo opportunities.

I felt the route to be pretty safe with plenty of cyclist going each way.

Also, make sure you go up the Steenbras Dam climb which is basically just after you leave Gordons Bay. There's normally no vehicles there early morning and it's a really tough climb so will really give you a fantastic workout. The view at the top is absolutely breathtaking though and worth the effort. 

I've also done the route from Gordons Bay to Betty's Bay and back. I never went further than Betty's Bay.

All I can say is that it's a fantastic route. Probably the most scenic in Cape Town because a lot of the route is hugging the coastline so plenty of photo opportunities.

I felt the route to be pretty safe with plenty of cyclist going each way.

Also, make sure you go up the Steenbras Dam climb which is basically just after you leave Gordons Bay. There's normally no vehicles there early morning and it's a really tough climb so will really give you a fantastic workout. The view at the top is absolutely breathtaking though and worth the effort. 

Better known as Mont Ventoux. The water purification plant at the top marks the end of access. Spectacular views. No wonder there are so many plaques mounted in remembrance and ashes have been strewn. On a really clear day you should be able to see Perth Harbour if Madagascar wasn't in the way.

22km from GB you get to Rooi Els where a hell of a climb awaits. Around 2-3km long and very steep towards Bettty's bay. 

It's not that bad - here is the segment: 

https://www.strava.com/segments/866635?filter=overall

post-275-0-29571300-1449840833_thumb.jpg

The route is fine all the way to Hermanus. From there to Stanford is a little dodgy - the locals don't even ride that road.

Somerset West to Hermanus and back is about 200kms. 

Better known as Mont Ventoux. The water purification plant at the top marks the end of access. Spectacular views. No wonder there are so many plaques mounted in remembrance and ashes have been strewn. On a really clear day you should be able to see Perth Harbour if Madagascar wasn't in the way.

Nope - better known as Alpe d Huez:

https://www.strava.com/segments/8596950?filter=overall

post-275-0-94179700-1449841010_thumb.jpg

when are you down ? im in somerset next Tuesday. I usually do the fanchoek run when im there...

GB to Rooiels/Pringle or Betty's is a regular route, probably the most scenic route in CT - holiday traffic can be problematic so early out and early back in would work.

Wind can be problem - check it out on the day as it can get quite dangerous if it is pumping.

from GB you can easily head out to Fanschoek/Wellington etc lovely. 

lots of local rides will be happening around this time - although with traffic build up, generally spend more time on the MTB than road.

PM if need any other info