getting into DH racing?

Mongooser

Not much just go to a race. Don't even need a DH bike any more, there was even an enduro class at SA champs.

Full Face helmet is compulsary though.

Not much just go to a race. Don't even need a DH bike any more, there was even an enduro class at SA champs.

Full Face helmet is compulsary though.

got that already..what dh race though? WP

Edited by mongooser

got that already..what dh race though? WP

season is over for now, but normally starts around march the following year. Join the WP DH and Gravity Enduro, and Dirtopia Enduro facebook pages for updated information as it becomes available.

in the meantime, get riding all the trails out there. Some facebook pages:

The situation atTokai is an utter joke at the moment, so dont even bother.

Edited by Capricorn

i want to get into DH racing what are the procedures of starting aside from the bike and gear?

Thanks

Here in KZN, Nigel Hicks arranged a Newbie DH Day. It was a case of bring your trail bike, a helmet (XC lid was fine) and your sense of humor and come and see what it was all about.

On the day they arranged shuttles and there were a few bikes from GT to ride as well. Some of the KZN downhillers were there as well to guide and advise. A track walk with a few pointers from the "Pro's" followed by a slow roll down the hill and it was game on!

Had an absolute blast on the day and was already plotting how to get a DH bike while driving home...

I ended up buying a 2008 Mongoose ECD second hand for R8k. Added a few parts to it (Wider bars, new grips, tyres), bought a full face helmet, some body armour and an MX shirt. 

First step though is get on course. Find out where the guys in your area are riding and when. Get to know the guys and chip in for fuel for shuttles. Be a nice guy and not a dick. 

A mongoose Boot'r is not a bad starter bike. Good value for money. Couple of bikes in that price range. As already said, just be patient. Some bikes don't even get to the classifieds. They get sold on track.

Good luck!

so i won't call myself a downhiller by any measure, but I've done two races to date and think I was much in the same frame of mind as you are at the moment.  Its crazy intimidating, but just looks soooo awesome!

If you ride carefully and within your limits, there's no reason why you can't try it out.  If an obstacle / drop-off / jump seems to hard, ride the B-line or push your bike around it.  Don't ever try to be an action hero, those obstacles are dangerous and chances are that you can get badly hurt if you try to do stuff beyond your ability.  The DH guys are awesome and they won't let you feel rushed or pushed to do any stupid stuff.  Chances are that the other guys will offer to ride lines in front of you, pacing often helps when taking little jumps etc.

Oh yes, and lose the clipless pedals if you haven't done so already.  It's really awesome, can't wait to try my hand at some more races in 2016

Edit:  I ride with a normal 140mm trial bike.  Only bought a FF helmet and knee / shin pads in terms of gear, so no need to splash big money on a DH bike that you'll likely only use a handful times a year.

Edited by rudi-h

so i won't call myself a downhiller by any measure, but I've done two races to date and think I was much in the same frame of mind as you are at the moment.  Its crazy intimidating, but just looks soooo awesome!

If you ride carefully and within your limits, there's no reason why you can't try it out.  If an obstacle / drop-off / jump seems to hard, ride the B-line or push your bike around it.  Don't ever try to be an action hero, those obstacles are dangerous and chances are that you can get badly hurt if you try to do stuff beyond your ability.  The DH guys are awesome and they won't let you feel rushed or pushed to do any stupid stuff.  Chances are that the other guys will offer to ride lines in front of you, pacing often helps when taking little jumps etc.

Oh yes, and lose the clipless pedals if you haven't done so already.  It's really awesome, can't wait to try my hand at some more races in 2016

Edit:  I ride with a normal 140mm trial bike.  Only bought a FF helmet and knee / shin pads in terms of gear, so no need to splash big money on a DH bike that you'll likely only use a handful times a year.

well i will be practicing a lot so Dh bike is worth it for me

Here in KZN, Nigel Hicks arranged a Newbie DH Day. It was a case of bring your trail bike, a helmet (XC lid was fine) and your sense of humor and come and see what it was all about.

On the day they arranged shuttles and there were a few bikes from GT to ride as well. Some of the KZN downhillers were there as well to guide and advise. A track walk with a few pointers from the "Pro's" followed by a slow roll down the hill and it was game on!

Had an absolute blast on the day and was already plotting how to get a DH bike while driving home...

I ended up buying a 2008 Mongoose ECD second hand for R8k. Added a few parts to it (Wider bars, new grips, tyres), bought a full face helmet, some body armour and an MX shirt. 

First step though is get on course. Find out where the guys in your area are riding and when. Get to know the guys and chip in for fuel for shuttles. Be a nice guy and not a dick. 

A mongoose Boot'r is not a bad starter bike. Good value for money. Couple of bikes in that price range. As already said, just be patient. Some bikes don't even get to the classifieds. They get sold on track.

Good luck!

probably getting a morewood makulu , can you just go and enter in WP?

probably getting a morewood makulu , can you just go and enter in WP?

Shouldn't be any different to any other province. You'll probably pay for a day license if you don't have one from CSA but other than that if you comply with the regulations (KZN states Full face, knee pads/longpants, long sleeved shirt) you are golden

Shouldn't be any different to any other province. You'll probably pay for a day license if you don't have one from CSA but other than that if you comply with the regulations (KZN states Full face, knee pads/longpants, long sleeved shirt) you are golden

i have to wear long pants and a long shirt? i have a entry level full face and bad kneegaurds so might as-well be buying all my protective gear again

i have to wear long pants and a long shirt? i have a entry level full face and bad kneegaurds so might as-well be buying all my protective gear again

Long pants OR knee pads...

Might be better to check with your local organisation and find out the details from them.

You don't have to wear a long shirt for WP regionals. I think a fullface and kneeguards are compulsory. If they aren't they should be.

Edited by Duane_Bosch