Leeukop Prison

BrianMTB

Hi all

I was doing some exploring today and found my way onto the Leeukop Prison grounds. I only realised this when I rode past a few people who were obviously Correctinal Services people but they didn't bat an eyelid. There are some nice trails there and even some wildlife.

Is it okay to ride there? And if so is it safe?

Used to be a lekke play ground a few years ago not sure now about safety now , if I'm not mistaken the one year I done 94.7 MTB we went through the grounds also(could be my old memory giving out also)

And if so is it safe?

Never ridden there myself, but it sounds like the safest place in the world to ride, at least the criminals are easily identifiable in their stylish orange jumpsuits, anywhere else we ride we never know if somebody is a criminal or not... ;)

Hey Brian , 94,7 did go through there , you can access from golf course to , if you ask at gate answer is no if you just ride nothing is said ! All ways to nervous to push my luck though

I used to ride there a couple of years ago in the afternoons with some mates and we had a created a nice little loop but...after being warned a couple of times by a warder that we were trespassing and we could be arrested we decided it was time to move on!

I used to live in Lonehill, and would make use of the grounds, until a warden approached me & told me it wasn't a good idea, in that a prisoner working in the fields could attack a cyclist, get into their gear & attempt a getaway. Sounded plausible.

Back then, i was surprised the place had any prisoners, as security seemed to be very laid back, unless there was a sniper on one of the koppies...

2014's 94.7 mtb race went through the ground. I passed a kid in the pool in front of me and heard the inmates yelling vulgar comments at him. They may be behind fences but it doesn't sound like a safe nor healthy place.

marshaled a couple of 94.7 mtb races through there.

also went through to watch some kyalami races.

I wouldnt push luck and ride bicycle there.

These guys are missing a trick. They could start a programme teaching trail building to minor offenders and they could build what could easily become one of the nicest trails in Joburg. I understand that security is paramount but they could control access (and charge for it).

I wonder if that is a discussion that could be had with their management?

These guys are missing a trick. They could start a programme teaching trail building to minor offenders and they could build what could easily become one of the nicest trails in Joburg. I understand that security is paramount but they could control access (and charge for it).

I wonder if that is a discussion that could be had with their management?

MAKE OFFENDERS WORK :eek:  :eek: how dare you, 

MAKE OFFENDERS WORK :eek:  :eek: how dare you, 

My dad and his neighbour used to go and get some "bandiete" for the day when they had big garden work to do...

This was obviously back in the day.

These days something like the above would be a ticket to freedom..

Me, I say stuff billion rand loans for the highways CHAIN GANG, problem is our "hard timers " are living la vida. Our politicians value the prisoners they relate

I used to live in Lonehill, and would make use of the grounds, until a warden approached me & told me it wasn't a good idea, in that a prisoner working in the fields could attack a cyclist, get into their gear & attempt a getaway. Sounded plausible.

Back then, i was surprised the place had any prisoners, as security seemed to be very laid back, unless there was a sniper on one of the koppies...

If its easy enough for us to get in, its easy enough for them working the fields to get out...

Thats the worrying bit.

I also dont wanna get caught and mistaken for an escapee and wind up in a cell being a candidate for "speed dating".  :blink:

• 7 months later...

Any changes in the Status Quo here? Possibility to ride in the area/Maybe the Golf Club can help with answers. Anybody perhaps know?