Leeukop Prison

BrianMTB

Any changes in the Status Quo here? Possibility to ride in the area/Maybe the Golf Club can help with answers. Anybody perhaps know?

Go riding and report back.

If we don't hear back from you by Sunday evening, we'll put together a bikehub care package with soap-on-a-rope addressed to Lighthouse, Cell Block D, Leeuwkop Prison.

Go riding and report back.

If we don't hear back from you by Sunday evening, we'll put together a bikehub care package with soap-on-a-rope addressed to Lighthouse, Cell Block D, Leeuwkop Prison.

Don't forget the

post-32956-0-87990300-1470136713_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks

Been a while since I posted, stuffed up my log in so started a new profile...

I actually came back onto the forum to specifically look for a thread on riding in the prison and, voila...

I live next to the golf course and for ages I've wondered about riding in the prison grounds. a few weeks ago a mate and I tried it. At 4am nogal. It was amazing. the guard at the gate unlocked the padlock and let us in without a quibble. we rode all around, saw the herds of buck, rode on the single track next to the race track, on the tar roads past the houses (like time warping back to the Sixties) and everyone we saw gave a friendly wave and/or smile.

Some of the prison warders look like if they gave you a snotklap you'd wake up in 2017 but we have had no issues so far.

We've since been back a few times now. Not the best place to ride but it's close and convenient for me so I guess until I have a bad experience I will continue to go there.

I will say though I won't wear orange kit, just in case....

Hi Folks

Been a while since I posted, stuffed up my log in so started a new profile...

I actually came back onto the forum to specifically look for a thread on riding in the prison and, voila...

I live next to the golf course and for ages I've wondered about riding in the prison grounds. a few weeks ago a mate and I tried it. At 4am nogal. It was amazing. the guard at the gate unlocked the padlock and let us in without a quibble. we rode all around, saw the herds of buck, rode on the single track next to the race track, on the tar roads past the houses (like time warping back to the Sixties) and everyone we saw gave a friendly wave and/or smile.

Some of the prison warders look like if they gave you a snotklap you'd wake up in 2017 but we have had no issues so far.

We've since been back a few times now. Not the best place to ride but it's close and convenient for me so I guess until I have a bad experience I will continue to go there.

I will say though I won't wear orange kit, just in case....

Thanks for letting us know!

i've been curious for a while now

years ago we used to ride there, and only got told off once.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer then, because the gate guards would allow me in just for the guards on patrol to chase me away. Maybe depends on the luck of the draw.

On my next visit I will try to speak to some higher authoritive person and report back. Hopefully they are open for negotiations.

I would not ride there, was told from a reliable source that there were riders a month or so ago who almost got locked up for riding there. There could be some guards on duty patrolling on a day when you decide to go ride who are on power trips. Also a bit dodgy riding inside crossing the Jukskei close to Main Rd where there are some characters "camping" out as well as some left overs from copper cable thefts.

I have ridden through there a few times now. Mostly under the cover of early morning darkness and once we came in through the main gate off Main at 7am - that was not a smart move as we got stopped and asked to leave. For the same reasons mentioned above that there could be prisoners looking for a opportunity..

The maximum security section is pretty impressive..

The other times were great - best bit is the escape through a hole in the fence!

There are some dodge sections and they have a serious sewage issue in parts, so be careful wading through the Jukskei..

The sunrise view east from the koppie close to the castle is pretty good, but on the whole understand that you ARE riding in state owned land that is out of bounds.

Used to be a lekke play ground a few years ago not sure now about safety now , if I'm not mistaken the one year I done 94.7 MTB we went through the grounds also(could be my old memory giving out also)

I seem to remember a mean climb up to the prison after a river crossing during the 94.7 . . .

• 3 years later...

Is it safe to ride there on a normal weekend?

I went in last weekend and an officer told me I could get a permit to ride, but then told me he was worried for my safety. Apparently lots of crime within the area (irony much?!)

• 1 year later...

Is there still a MTB route on the Leeukop grounds? I’ve just moved to Lonehill and would be great to have something around the corner - hoping for good news. 

16 minutes ago, JRN89 said:

Is there still a MTB route on the Leeukop grounds? I’ve just moved to Lonehill and would be great to have something around the corner - hoping for good news. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rode there today....a welcome change from the usual Spruit ride. Route is marked well so don't worry about the GPX.

Enjoy