Review: Kitted Wonder Ring Narrow Wide Chainring

Matt

The simplicity of a one-by chain ring setup has always appealed to me. Less cockpit clutter, no chain suck and, for the weight-weenie in me, some grams lost. When the Kitted Wonder Ring arrived for testing I decided to take the plunge and convert my own steed to 1x10.

Click here to view the article

Do all narrow wide rings make the grinding noise?

nope, but from experience, both Kitted and Kalbo when initially fitted and ridden until around 200km would make a noise.... Thereafter should be fine!

Rapide Absolute Black CSIXX and the competitors in the price range don't have this issue.

Wolftooth and the like not in same price bracket, but also when fitted no noise.

Edited by Meezo

nope, but from experience, both Kitted and Kalbo when initially fitted and ridden until around 200km would make a noise.... Thereafter should be fine!

Rapide Absolute Black CSIXX and the competitors in the price range don't have this issue.

Wolftooth and the like not in same price bracket, but also when fitted no noise.

Maybe the machining on the Kalbo ring isn't too tight and the rough edges have to be worn off before it's smooth, how does the teeth profiles look when new?

Hey hubbers, a little info from our side. The noise you might get from your newly installed chainring is just the "MARRYING" between chain and chainring.

We are constantly working on eliminating any issues that our uses have come back to is but the one thing we can guarantee is long lasting quality.

Since inception we have made numerous upgrades to our chainrings to make sure that you are getting the best ride out there with no hassles.

We are hard at work with our second release of Cassette Extenders, keep an eye on the web page for more info.

My first Kitted ring lasted over 3000km before it went onto a Build a bike. Onto my second and no issues. The noise I see mentioned can be chain related. On a Shimano SLX chain and a YBN chain (10s) no noise, but on a KMC 10s chain I had a kind of whirring noise for the first ride or 2, but now silent. (New chain and ring).

I've had my 32t kitted chain ring for two years now and I must say it's been flawless, never dropped the chain with or with out the clutch on. I'm running SLX cassette and chain, haven't had any noise issues.

Ive noticed that the grinding noise is Not coming from the chain ring but rather the chain. Ive had an Absolute Black Oval chainring and a Kitted chainring and on both the chain made the grinding noise. You need to add, or remover spacers between the chain ring and your crank at the front, so that it can line up with the centre gear on you rear cassette. The grinding noise is a result from the chain having too much horizontal or side ways movement. Just line it up properly and the problem should be solved.

I have some noise only when the chain is in the larger cogs but its more of the chain coming onto the teeth as you pedal.

I must say, the new kitted rings are really awsome and super impressed with mine

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting that grinding noise on my SRAM xx1 but only when pedalling under pressure, ie uphill. Was advised that my chainring is worn because Xx uses a softer metal, I have ordered a different make that is made from a harder material now. However the argument above about alignment and spacers makes sense, could this also be an issue?

Funny my absolute black is and always has been silent. No "marrying" issues. Perhaps the manufacturing tolerances are too tight?? This might lead to premature chain wear. Just questioning, out of curiosity.

Also I would not advice spacing the front ring out. More of the structural strength is between the interface of the ring against the crank face. With spacers all the pressure is exerting on those small chainbolts only. May be fine but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way..........