Review: Garmin Varia rearview radar

Nick

Garmin’s Varia rearview radar system seeks to give cyclists eyes in the back of their heads. The Varia uses radar to detect the movement of vehicles behind the cyclist and warns the riders of the approaching vehicle.

Click here to view the article

this is the backtracker that was developed in stellenbosch and sold to garmin. Latrinus emmer was involved with this

I'll buy one when the unit is able to tell the approaching motorist via their phone "look up cyclist ahead, pass 1.5 on the right" repeat in annoying voice.

Most are using google maps or Wyze. Should be possible to send data to the network of your presence.

I got one as a gift. Was definitely not something I thought I needed. Now I won't go for a road ride without it. It works perfectly and it makes my rides a lot safer. I use mine with a Edge 1000.

they should put a very small camera in the back that records when a vehicle gets to close, so there is proof of licence plate if these hit and runs happen

Cycliq Fly6 does exactly that.

I tested this system for 4 months, it was very interesting at first seeing cars approaching from behind move up the display unit but found its usefulness was very limited. The real value proposition came when I returned the unit, would I miss it enough to splash R3k to have?

Pros:

• improved u-turn and right turn planning as could see if cars nearby on screen rather than having to look behind a number of times.
  • Instant red indicator on the display for speeding cars useful
  • Variable light intensity was great for those riding with me as they could see when cars were close by.

Cons:

• battery life - I never go more than 3 hours from the rear unit if smart light on. This made unit useless on longer rides and meant I had to have an additional rear light.
  • 2 additional items to charge after every ride.
  • cars got "lost" on the display if they travelled at your speed when following to suddenly be next to you without indication on the display.

Verdict:

On my first ride without it I was happy to have the R3k and not have the distraction on my bars. 2,000 km later I feel the same.

I really like the tech but I think is got to be developed further and integrated into info sources so that it can communicate with the real problems on the road - inattentive drivers. Knowing the proximity of a vehicle is one thing bu I really need to know if is on a collision course.

What I really need is a BB-8

• 2 weeks later...

Got it as a Christmas gift, haven't test it yet. I have the Garmin EDGE 810 GPS.

Does anybody know if it works with the EDGE 810?

Cheers

I've also been considering this. On long stretches with a headwind I don't hear cars coming at all and only see them when they pass.

But even if the Varia shows me that they are approaching I still won't have eyes in the back of my head to know if they are alert and aware of my presence as supposed to talking on the phone.