Dual sus or hardtail???

Christiaan125

Hi everyone, I've been cycling for a year and a half on my Trek X caliber7 and have outgrown it... I'm looking for a new (but reasonably priced) bike that has either a large or XL frame. The bike on the top of my list is a Silverback Sprada 2 ( that is a dual sus ) So the question is, should I stay with a hardtail or go for a dual sus???

Edited by Christiaan125

Borrow a buddy's Softtail the next time you're on the trails, and decide for yourself, personally I love my hardtail and the way it feels (raw and more fun IMO), but my younger brother insists on riding the softtail bike and loves it, because he can "jump big stuff and not worry". Consider the type of riding you (want to) do, and the travel that you want/need, and remember, you now have more moving parts that need, servicing, maintenance, and protection, in some cases even transportation $$$.

...2c added to the kitty.

Just to confuse you more

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155830-what-does-bikehub-land-think-of-the-all-mountain-hardtail/

Edited by Arrowhead

Borrow a buddy's Softtail the next time you're on the trails, and decide for yourself, personally I love my hardtail and the way it feels (raw and more fun IMO), but my younger brother insists on riding the softtail bike and loves it, because he can "jump big stuff and not worry". Consider the type of riding you (want to) do, and the travel that you want/need, and remember, you now have more moving parts that need, servicing, maintenance, and protection, in some cases even transportation $$$.

Just to confuse you more

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155830-what-does-bikehub-land-think-of-the-all-mountain-hardtail/

You are gonna get crucified for your use of the word "softail"

Just to confuse you more

Soft tail is a different bike as Wayne said get ready for a ball busting.

Hi Christiaan,

Welcome to Bike Hub. In order to give the best advise we will need to know

1. Where do you ride
  2. How do you ride /what type of riding do you do
  3. What is it you aim to do in the months / year to come

Dual Suspension bikes have become so efficient that it almost only makes sense to get a Hardtail if you're a hardcore XC racer or budget is tight.

I've done a review on a Sprada over HERE if you'd like to have a look.

Fatbike!! <note to self: get a fatbike>

But seriously, try before you buy. Beg, borrow (don't steal) and see what works for you on trails/roads you plan on riding

If you keep riding a hardtail, your soft tail will eventually become harder.

I moved form a dual suspension to a hardtail, and the only time i wish for suspension is when there is no trail and lots of grass knolls ( think thaats the name)

Rest of the time, I enjoy putting down power without the suspension bob that wastes so much enery...

I mostly ride XCO... I am 15 years old and weigh 65 kg so I don't necessarily need a full sus... I ride 4 - 5 times per week and compete in local races. I need a bike that has a good price to quality ratio. Any suggestions of reasonably priced bikes?

I mostly ride XCO... I am 15 years old and weigh 65 kg so I don't necessarily need a full sus... I ride 4 - 5 times per week and compete in local races. I need a bike that has a good price to quality ratio. Any suggestions of reasonably priced bikes?

Light hardtail