27.5" to 29" wheel conversion

MountainChad

Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking and recently bought myself a Giant Trance 4 27.5" Large frame bike to get into it.

After a few rides I started wondering about upgrading my suspension to get longer strokes to do more aggressive downhill rides. I also wonders about upgrading my wheels, from the 27.5" to 29".

The Trance 4 has a "linkage driven single pivot" rear suspension setup (see attached photo), and this prevents me from putting on larger rims and longer rear suspension. Does anyone have any experience with replacing or upgrading a linkage driven single pivot setup to accommodate larger rims and longer rear suspension? If such a conversion is possible, where do I get the parts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-87016-0-33423800-1450954875_thumb.jpg

Edited by MountainChad

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have a new rear triangle made for your bike, but:

1. It will cost more than a new bike.

2. Handling and setup will be horible.

So in short, not going to work and not worth it. Rather sell your bike and buy a 29er if you really want one, or upgrade your bike a bit and do more skills training.

Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking and recently bought myself a Giant Trance 4 27.5" Large frame bike to get into it.

After a few rides I started wondering about upgrading my suspension to get longer strokes to do more aggressive downhill rides. I also wonders about upgrading my wheels, from the 27.5" to 29".

The Trance 4 has a "linkage driven single pivot" rear suspension setup (see attached photo), and this prevents me from putting on larger rims and longer rear suspension. Does anyone have any experience with replacing or upgrading a linkage driven single pivot setup to accommodate larger rims and longer rear suspension? If such a conversion is possible, where do I get the parts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

attachicon.gif20151224_1257541.jpg

Why do you want to change your wheel size, is it because you want to roll over stuff easier. You also said you wanted to ride more aggresively? If i was you i would keep the 27.5 a more nippier wheel than the 29er, upgrade to better suspensions (get a pike or a lyrik or a fox 36 fork) for the front , that will give you ,more a plush ride. You could also upgrade your rear to a RS Debonair or similiar which could also help the last thing could also upgrade is a your rims...

Nb and before i forget, get a dropper post...

Excellent frame with great geometry. You can go overboard with upgrading the suspension and the frame will excel. But it will be costly.....New fork and new shock will set you back at least R15 000. New wheels another R5000. Keep to 650B wheels, they are the exact right size for that frame design and the intended purpose of the Trance. Very few people will be able to ride the Trance to its full potential. It is a seriously capable bike that can take on just about anything short of the very gnarliest and meanest jumps and drops. Mostly the limitation is the skill or bravery of the rider.

Thanks for all the replies and advice,

The main reason I want (or wanted) to change rim size is that I got a lot of pedal strikes around corners. And 29er wheels will give a longer bike to roll over stuff easier, like KingTJ said. I'm also quite tall (1.89m) and thought it would suit me better.

Will definitely consider upgrading my suspension. Also, I already ordered my dropper post and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Like I said, I'm new to mountain biking and was curious about this. Think I will stay with the 27.5 wheels for now and see how my riding evolves over time.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Yeah pedal strikes around corners could mean that your technique is wrong, as you should be leaning into them with the outside pedal down and putting weight onto that pedal....do yourself a favour , go for a mtb clinic....it will make a worlds difference to your riding in a very short time frame....good luck and enjoy

You can increase the stroke of the rear suspension to a 200x57 shock, from its existing 200x50 without running into clearance issues. It's a very well known mod and grants the trance with approx 157mm rear travel instead of the standard 140mm. Very good upgrade, but then you'll be best advised to up the fork to a 160mm unit as well, in order to balance out the front and rear.

Bigger wheels have fokkol to do with height. It's all about the frames geometry. The argument that "bigger wheels suit taller riders" is shrouded in smoke, mirrors, and a shartload of kool-aid. In the end you will gain no benefit whatsoever, and will be more advantaged by sticking wide rims and high volume tyres on to the bike, which will improve traction and handling no end.

As for pedal strikes, the trance does have a low bb, but not stupidly low. It's also about getting your technique right... If you're always having trouble with it, maybe consider some shorter cranks. But you'd be far better served with going for a skills session with one of your local pros...

Good luck.

Bigger wheels have fokkol to do with height. It's all about the frames geometry. The argument that "bigger wheels suit taller riders" is shrouded in smoke, mirrors, and a shartload of kool-aid. BUT...In the end.....all taller riders ends up with 29er wheels ... lol

statement corrected.

You can increase the stroke of the rear suspension to a 200x57 shock, from its existing 200x50 without running into clearance issues. It's a very well known mod and grants the trance with approx 157mm rear travel instead of the standard 140mm. Very good upgrade, but then you'll be best advised to up the fork to a 160mm unit as well, in order to balance out the front and rear.

Yes this is an excellent suggestion. also the suspension design allows fr a very linear feel so the longer travel will make the bike feel even better through the techie stuff.

Bigger wheels have fokkol to do with height. It's all about the frames geometry. The argument that "bigger wheels suit taller riders" is shrouded in smoke, mirrors, and a shartload of kool-aid. In the end you will gain no benefit whatsoever, and will be more advantaged by sticking wide rims and high volume tyres on to the bike, which will improve traction and handling no end.

Amen!!!! You have a witness. 29ers are not faster than 26ers if the overall gearing including wheels is similar. Where people come unstuck is the want to run the same chainrings as a 29er is running and they loose wheel development (distance the wheel rolls per pedal stroke). The salesman then tells them that they must compare the speed of the bikes based on the same chainrings and sprockets. This is simply not how gearing works.

as for wheelsizes suiting different height people......see above for appropriate answer.

As for pedal strikes, the trance does have a low bb, but not stupidly low. It's also about getting your technique right... If you're always having trouble with it, maybe consider some shorter cranks. But you'd be far better served with going for a skills session with one of your local pros...

BB height is not such a big issue as it affects all bikes designed for a similar purpose equally. Sometimes reviewers have nothing to write about and make crap up over a shot of LSD.

Pedalling through technical sections is about pedal timing. This comes with time, practice and time. There is no silver bullet that a wheelsize will give you

Good luck.

fixed it for you

I know several tall riders that would disagree with you.

Tall MARATHON riders, maybe. Only due to the kool-aid being drunk here, and the kool-aid induced perceived efficiencies of bigger wheels on gravel.

Again. Fokkol to do with height.

Edited by raptor-22