Riding without a helmet

Off_da_brakes

I once did a ride with a friend that was new to cycling and riding clipped in for the first time. They arrived having forgotten their helmet, so I lent them mine and I rode without one. I got so much verbal abuse from other cyclists. Although I'm confident in my bike handling, I accepted there were risks (slightly more riskier than riding on the road is anyway). I didn't think it was necessary for other people to be so aggressively rude.

Because it actually has less to do with wearing a helmet and safety, but more to do with their opinion and need to express it. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it actually has less to do with wearing a helmet and safety, but more to do with their opinion and need to express it.

It must be some sort of ego thing, or an elevated sense of self importance. I just couldn't be bothered to care about what other people do or don't do unless what they do is directed at me personally. I would personally like to see helmet laws banned, especially if it means encouraging more and more people to ride. If you think riding a bicycle without a helmet is dangerous, you should seriously think twice before getting into a car. I bet your odds of death are far greater being in a car than riding a bike without a helmet, especially in South Africa.

Bingo! One extra large Bells for the dangerous dassie.

Most of Europe then and nearly all of cycling history worldwide.

and i'll let my gardener know.

Maybe do the right thing and buy your gardener a helmet and teach him the right ways!

I like seeing all the comments about its not your problem, etc..

As fellow cyclists it is our problem as we get judged on the few that is doing it wrong.

We all want motorist to respect us but we want to stand back and do nothing about it?

Me and my wife started a thing about 6 months ago. I take old helmets from friends that cycle with me and I also buy 5 helmets a month that I hand out to commuters wherever I go, telling them that it is not safe to ride without a helmet. I give them the helmet for free and they promise to wear it. I have actually seen 3 of the guys after again and they wore their helmets. Yes there is some that will not wear it after I spoken to him/her and gave them a free helmet but then it is really his/her problem.

Fact of the matter is, NO HELMET, NO RIDE! We as cyclist need to enforce that 

Don't worry, people have listened and have stopped riding because of stupid helmet laws. 

Maybe do the right thing and buy your gardener a helmet and teach him the right ways!

I like seeing all the comments about its not your problem, etc..

As fellow cyclists it is our problem as we get judged on the few that is doing it wrong.

We all want motorist to respect us but we want to stand back and do nothing about it?

Me and my wife started a thing about 6 months ago. I take old helmets from friends that cycle with me and I also buy 5 helmets a month that I hand out to commuters wherever I go, telling them that it is not safe to ride without a helmet. I give them the helmet for free and they promise to wear it. I have actually seen 3 of the guys after again and they wore their helmets. Yes there is some that will not wear it after I spoken to him/her and gave them a free helmet but then it is really his/her problem.

whahahahaha...gee my krag. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate what you are doing but then you go undo all the good with that last statement.

Its not for you or anyone to decide how people should live. 

I think it is reasonable to enforce a "no helmet no ride" rule at:

1. Organized events / races

Where it is clearly safer for the riders and reduce the risk exposure for the organizers. Just think how small the number of serious head injuries is in a race like the Argus. Then it makes sense.

2. Controlled access mountain bike routes / trails

Where it may be a condition on the part of the land owner / club / management to reduce their risk exposure. Without that we might not be allowed to use certain areas. Bike parks, National parks and club routes are prime examples of this.

(Just my 2c)

Me and my wife started a thing about 6 months ago. I take old helmets from friends that cycle with me and I also buy 5 helmets a month that I hand out to commuters wherever I go

I commend you for doing this. :thumbup:

I think it is a brilliant idea to give old and unused helmets and lights away, often to commuters or youngsters starting out. A helmet hanging in your garage, gathering dust, is useless. Better to pass it on because you never know whether you might save the life of someone else by doing so.

The thought has never crossed my mind about riding without a helmet and thank goodness I followed that rule on New Years day last week. While coming down the single track from the school in Delta Park at no great pace as I was introducing this piece of magic to my father-in-law from Durban; I caught one of the berms at a "funny" angle. Front wheel washed out, over the bars I went. I landed on the back of my head breaking a piece out of my helmet at the back and having the helmet literally crack down the middle in two pieces. Thankfully, I got up unscathed apart from a broken ego and moerse headache on-top of the hangover from New Years Eve. Needless to say I will never ride without a helmet and I will not entertain riding with someone that doesn't wear a helmet.

A seasoned cyclist without a helmet...the skaandaaal.....

until a few years ago helmets were not a requirement for tours.... now everyone is a Nazi...

I see more people cycling without helmets than with ..its only the lycra brigade that wear helmets...

if the ou does not want to wear a helmet then let him do so.... funny how we preach tolerance as long as others conform to our views.

scientifically, has the incidence of death been reduced by helmets...lets not forget the cycling helmet industry is a multi billion dollar industry

Don't worry,stupid people have listened and have stopped riding because of helmet laws. 

Fixed it for you.

..............scientifically, has the incidence of death been reduced by helmets..............

Yes!

whahahahaha...gee my krag. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate what you are doing but then you go undo all the good with that last statement.

Its not for you or anyone to decide how people should live. 

Yeeoow.... this is the thing... delicate like an exposed nerve on your main biltong chewing molar

I agree we don't need people forcefully telling people to do stuff like to wear helmets etc

But

Somewhere along the line people need to step up and help enforce common law / logic or whatever you want to call it... you know what i mean...actions (peacefully and not forceful)  that supports stuff that is "just the right way to live or do stuff" otherwise life starts going pear shaped and everyone just does as they want... for example STOP signs that become Yield or Pause signs.... :whistling:

The trick is to do it in a diplomatic way without being a pain in the arse :w00t:

Helmets, like brakes, are a safety feature. To all the helmet less riders, come on, be real men and ride without brakes as well.

Yeeoow.... this is the thing... delicate like an exposed nerve on your main biltong chewing molar

I agree we don't need people forcefully telling people to do stuff like to wear helmets etc

But

Somewhere along the line people need to step up and help enforce common law / logic or whatever you want to call it... you know what i mean...actions (peacefully and not forceful)  that supports stuff that is "just the right way to live or do stuff" otherwise life starts going pear shaped and everyone just does as they want... for example STOP signs that become Yield or Pause signs.... :whistling:

The trick is to do it in a diplomatic way without being a pain in the arse :w00t:

here i disagree swiss...see the difference between a yield sign and someone not wearing a helmet is that the "choice" could potentially impact someone else's life, not only my own. If I treat a stop like a yield and in the process injure someone, its unacceptable. 

Same for smoking, if I smoke indoors or with a kid in the car, I don't consider people around me's well being. Whereas if I go outside, well then its my choice.

The problem with approaching someone is it is really not up to anyone to "enforce" this, it automatically comes across as being a pain / know it all / pretentious even if done with the best intentions. 

In the famous words of Anna and this is aimed at the helmet enforcement brigade...."Let it go"

People will live the way they want to.

here i disagree swiss...see the difference between a yield sign and someone not wearing a helmet is that the "choice" could potentially impact someone else's life, not only my own. If I treat a stop like a yield and in the process injure someone, its unacceptable. 

Same for smoking, if I smoke indoors or with a kid in the car, I don't consider people around me's well being. Whereas if I go outside, well then its my choice.

The problem with approaching someone is it is really not up to anyone to "enforce" this, it automatically comes across as being a pain / know it all / pretentious even if done with the best intentions. 

In the famous words of Anna and this is aimed at the helmet enforcement brigade...."Let it go"

People will live the way they want to.

Seeing someone have an accident in front of you without a helmet and having their brains plastered all over the pavement.....couldn't that have an impact on somebody's life?  :eek:

NB...Im just trying to stir the pot....my view on this thing...Ons is almal groot hier, maak wat jy wil ( unless it is your kids)