Alloy full suspension or carbon hardtail

Marlou

I am looking to buy a bike in the R30k-R35k price range.

Will the comfort of the heavier alloy FS beat the light carbon hardtail? I normally ride flat non-technical races, suggesting the hardtail is best ,but I also participate in some challenging technical xco events and very demanding marathons.

Thanks in advance

Giant Anthem , choose your wheel size. Please note I am biased and love my Anthem. For your price range there are quite a few options. If it was me I'd be looking for a 2nd hand Pyga 110.

From what you've said I'd also lean towards an Anthem or Spez Camber (if there's one in your price range). For flat, non-technical the Pyga will be on the heavy side. 

Thanks guys.

I was looking at the scott spark 940. I think the twinlock will help with efficiency and may be lighter than the giant. I know the anthem will be better in the technical stuff, but is it as good as the spark on the flats and climbs?

How old are you?

How long are the races you do ?

How ambitious are you when you race; are you racing for a podium or do you enter races for fun?

What other bikes have you got and how much can you afford on maintenance?

These answers will lead to better advice.

@eddy :My races are normally between 30-50 km, but i'm very ambitious and can maintain a 27-30 km/h average on a easy course. I am looking in participating in some longer 70km rides in the future. Although I'm only 16 I do feel quite beaten up after some fast bumpy rides on my alloy HT. If a FS is going to make my ride more enjoyable and not sacrifice too much weight and power, I'm willing to pay for extra maintenance

@eddy :My races are normally between 30-50 km, but i'm very ambitious and can maintain a 27-30 km/h average on a easy course. I am looking in participating in some longer 70km rides in the future. Although I'm only 16 I do feel quite beaten up after some fast bumpy rides on my alloy HT. If a FS is going to make my ride more enjoyable and not sacrifice too much weight and power, I'm willing to pay for extra maintenance

If weight is a problem stick with hardtail, If comfort is a problem go for the dual sus.

You still being a youth your maximum race length is half marathons which isn't technical and I personally feel that a dual sus cannot justify the price you have to pay for riding only half marathons.

I am also still a junior but recently all my fellow competitors are going dual sus. But then again they have money and can go under 11.5kg with thier budgets. A dual sus surely feels nice but in that price range I personally suggest buying a really light and nimble hardtail with a extra wheelset with wider rims and when you need just change the wheelset. That way you still have a good racing bike with another wheelset so when you do long or gnarly rides just pop on the other wheelset.

But that is just me.

Marco Joubert who rides for the Kargo MTB team told me that going from his carbon Momsen SL hardtail to a carbon VIPA DS was a massive improvement.

Yes the DS will have a weight penalty but will more than make up for it with the increased traction and comfort.

The key is the spec.

Rather a well specced HT than a heavy mid-lever DS. The weight should be the deciding factor I reckon. If you can get a DS that is no more than 1,5-2kg more than the HT I would pick the DS.

Ideally you would prefer both then you could choose the best bike for the particular races terrain.

Anyway that's my opinion.

for you a carbon hardtail is the only way to go in my opinion , if you want to ride a lot then the full suss is going to cost you a lot more because of servicing the rear end. Your technical ability will also improve a lot faster on a hard tail. Also a modern carbon hardtail is a far more capable machine than most people think when it comes to technical lines , jumps ect

I gave recently gone from a GT carbon hardtail to a Pyga Oneten29, and certainly the Pyga is heavier but a lot more fun to ride. I may never be in it to win races but the increase in the enjoyment factor, leaves me with a way bigger smile on my face. Just my 2cents.