What is a trial bike?

AliciaLazzaro

Mountain bike trials, also known as observed trials, is a discipline of mountain biking in which the rider attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground. Derived from motorcycle trials, it originated in Catalonia and is said to have been invented by the father of Ot Pi, a world champion motorcycle trials rider. Pi's father had wanted his son to learn motorcycle trials by practicing on an ordinary bicycle.
Trials riding is an extreme test of bicycle handling skills, over all kinds of obstacles, both natural and man-made. It now has a strong though small  following worldwide, though it is still primarily a European sport. Skills taken from trials riding can be used practically on any bicycle for balance, for example controlled braking and track standing, or balancing on the bike without putting a foot down. Competition trial bikes are characterized by powerful brakes, wide handlebars, lightweight parts, single-speed low gearing, low tire pressures with a thick rear tire, distinctive frame geometry, and no seat.

Remember watching this in KZN a few years ago when the world champs were held. The course was on the parking lot of the shopping centre. I appreciate the skills involved but have no desire to try it

Sorry, will try again. Sorry, fail again, you'll just have to check Danny McKaskill on YouTube!

Edited by DJR

Sorry, will try again. Sorry, fail again, you'll just have to check Danny McKaskill on YouTube!

You took the words out of my mouth