Raptor by Everysight: Revolutionary new consumer wearable technology

mikeonthetown

As always when I first hear of consumer wearable technology I automatically think "gimmick" but after reading the article and realising the calibre of the developers and company behind this product we actually might have a game changer in front of us.

VIDEO:

Everysight - a revolutionary new consumer wearable technology company – announces its official launch today (November 2015). Everysight is spun out of Elbit Systems – the largest defense technology company in Israel and market leader in advanced fighter jet and rotary wing helmet mounted display systems – and backed by external investors. The Everysight team brings decades of cutting edge experience in augmented reality and vision display systems to the consumer wearable market.

Driven by a passion for cycling, the company chose to focus first on smartglasses for cyclists and, in 2016, will launch its first product: Raptor by Everysight. Raptor smartglasses pack uniquely unobtrusive display technology and powerful functions into a deceptively sleek design. The team spent several years working with professional cyclists to design and optimize Raptor, which looks and feels like traditional sports eyewear, but with hidden technology that helps athletes get the most out of their activity.

Raptor will also be equipped with Everysight Beam technology, which sets it apart and makes it a superior and first-of-its-kind product. Similar to what pilots have been using for decades, Everysight Beam is a unique see-through display technology that crisply overlays information directly in the wearer's line of sight. With Everysight Beam, the lens itself serves as the augmented display, eliminating offset displays found on other smartglasses. Everysight Beam avoids peripheral distractions, reduces eyestrain and eliminates opaque display elements that can obscure the view. In addition to superior optics, smartglasses with Everysight Beam are stylish, lighter and more comfortable.

“We have more than 30 years of experience and dominate the market in vision systems and augmented reality, integrating real-time data in pilots’ helmets to optimize performance and keep pilots safe and focused on what matters,” said Asaf Ashkenazi, CEO of Everysight. “Now we’re bringing this experience to the consumer market with smartglasses that will revolutionize how athletes see and experience information. Raptor is the first step in our greater plan to create a full line of smartglasses.”

Raptor by Everysight will launch in 2016, with an open program for the developer community and full product details announced at that time. In the meantime, to learn more about Everysight and be among the first to receive updates on product news and announcements, please sign up for more info at www.everysight.com.

post-35941-0-68925700-1451915160_thumb.jpg

post-35941-0-08456200-1451915169_thumb.jpg

post-35941-0-42478000-1451915185_thumb.jpg

post-35941-0-77040800-1451915282_thumb.jpg

Coolio, another device to compete for the charger!

Seriously though, looks like something with real potential, especially if open source development is going to be supported.

Seriously do not get why you will want your sight filled with more info. Aren't our lives crammed enough? Why would you possibly want to be engaged on your ride anymore than just a quick glance at your head unit to see vital stats. 

"Sharpens your focus". Yeah, whatever. 

This will give a whole new feeling to that horrible experience of "Damn I scratched my sunglasses lenses", "oops just dropped them on their lenses on the concrete "," oops walked into a low hanging branch with my sunnies parked in the helmet ".

I prefer not to look down at my garmin. A Hud allows me to see relevant info just off line of sight. Plus rear view cams can be integrated into displayed information on demand.

I get it if you prefer looking down at a head unit for a second or two. I simply don't see that as safe especially on a mtb.

In terms of sharpening tour focus. It's been proven that helmet mounted displays for pilots trains the eye to focus quicker and sharper. They're able to see more distant targets in peripheral vision. This allows more information to be processed by the brain which improves visibility. Vision is not just about the eyes ability to ficus but also what the Brian can process within the image coming to it from the eye.

The first pilot known to have trained his brain to exploit this was George Beurling who flew for the RAF in Malta during WW2

I prefer not to look down at my garmin. A Hud allows me to see relevant info just off line of sight. Plus rear view cams can be integrated into displayed information on demand.

I get it if you prefer looking down at a head unit for a second or two. I simply don't see that as safe especially on a mtb.

In terms of sharpening tour focus. It's been proven that helmet mounted displays for pilots trains the eye to focus quicker and sharper. They're able to see more distant targets in peripheral vision. This allows more information to be processed by the brain which improves visibility. Vision is not just about the eyes ability to ficus but also what the Brian can process within the image coming to it from the eye.

The first pilot known to have trained his brain to exploit this was George Beurling who flew for the RAF in Malta during WW2

the floating numbers could obstruct your view and actually be more dangerous than anything else. 

Difference in a HUD in a plane and on a bike is, on the bike your focus is 2-3m...

the floating numbers could obstruct your view and actually be more dangerous than anything else. 

Difference in a HUD in a plane and on a bike is, on the bike your focus is 2-3m...

The numbers are not in your field of vision until you look at them. That's how helmet mounted displays work. The video only serves to illustrate what information is available.

In a plane going at 800km/hr with your ass 50ft off the deck you have less time to make decisions than a mountain biker going at 40