Advise needed on Crank Upgrade

segal

Good Morning all,

Im looking for some advise please as this is all quiet new to me.

Im looking to put a compact crank on my road bike. I currently have the Truvativ Elita cranks with an FSA BB. My bike is nothing special, its a Fuji Roubaix Pro 06 with 105 components.

Is it really worth while spending the extra money and putting a Ultegra or Dura-Ace crank on the bike? Im not unhappy with the Truvativ. Will I get away with rather putting on a FSA Vero crank or something like that or am I wasting my money. Do they really flex that much etc. (If I put on the FSA, I will be upgrading the BB to the Shimano version)

I do intend on replacing my bike later in the year so I don't want to waste money either on useless cranks or over upgrading.

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks

Dani

so you have a 53/39 set up and want compact? 50/34?

Running 105 right? 10 or 11sp?

Get a compact 105 crank, you can use the same BB that you have now. Assuming you have the Elita crank with external BB cups and not an Isis BB.

so you have a 53/39 set up and want compact? 50/34?

Running 105 right? 10 or 11sp?

Get a compact 105 crank, you can use the same BB that you have now. Assuming you have the Elita crank with external BB cups and not an Isis BB.

Yeah I have the 53/39 but unfortunately its the Isis BB so I will need to replace the Bb either way. Its 105 9 sdp all the way round.

The reason I asked about the FSA and the Ultegra is that's all that seems to be available right now on the second hand market.

Thanks

My experience with compacts is that they are hard on the big ring so be prepared to replace it if you go second hand, so bear that in mind when pricing.  I would also advise sticking with a common, outboard BB.  Lastly If one comes up at a good price grab it before I see it!