Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

Given its a long weekend and Easter in 2 weeks, it’s kind of a holiday. Got some Cuddles for my birthday.

adc6ef7c4ac0090603f136cdf8ff7f4b.jpg

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last book I finished was: The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I give it a full 10/10. It was prolific and I wrote an essay about it in college. I found college papers for sale to help me with all my writings. These guys saved my time and helped to get good grades.

Edited by greys

I just finished The Devil and Karl Marx by Professor Paul Kengor.

Far too many people, however, separate Marx the man from the evils wrought by the oppressive ideology and theory that bears his name. That is a grave mistake. Not only did the horrific results of Marxism follow directly from Marx's twisted ideas, but the man himself penned some downright devilish things. Well before Karl Marx was writing about the hell of communism, he was writing about hell.

"Thus Heaven I've forfeited, I know it full well," he wrote in a poem in 1837, a decade before his Manifesto. "My soul, once true to God, is chosen for Hell." That certainly seemed to be the perverse destiny for Marx's ideology, which consigned to death over 100 million souls in the twentieth century alone.

Scapegoats of the Empire - George Witton

Great historical first hand account of the Breaker Morrant murders from one of the implicated members of the Bushfeld Carbineers. It was written not long after Wittons release and contains some unknown facts to me, but also a great insight into perceptions and some of the facts of the time.

Timebomb, A policeman's story - Johan Marais

Whatever you do, do not waste your money on this rubbish book. Poorly written, contains all the pub and urban legands you would hear as a policeman only being told as if he lived them all. It utter rubbish, rather buy wine or beer 

• 4 weeks later...

post-2696-0-67802900-1618852818_thumb.jpg

Bought this on a whim.

What an interesting read. The detailed "factual" nature of the book does get boring in places. It highlights the value the germans placed on Southern Africa.

But in terms of the context of events coming out of the Boer War, leading up to WW1 and then WW2, which ulimtalely led to apartheid is fascinating.

I would give it 7.5/10 if you are into this kind of thing, but a 4/10 if you like story telling type factual books.

*Googles author*

...eish.

That's ok. I'm come down on the Christian conservative side of most issues.

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, Frosty said:

7a95a8b8d185bdef6e6e51a575d27564.jpg

bb3ed82be00859815472001ae090e76a.jpg

How is the book? I am not a reader as such, but want to limit screen time and start reading. I placed a order through takealot, as well as the cyclists cookbook

The end of men by Christina Sweeney Baird is a haunting book given our current "plague" situation.
Scary to think of how much worse it could have been..........