Axis A70

JuddMan

Gooday All,

I am still looking at getting a mountain bike for this year. My budget is still very limited and capped at 5k. I cannot extend it at all. There is no use in looking in the classifieds as I need an XL frame and they are rarer then hens teeth, so no luck there. 

I will be using the bike for weight loss and exercise, going on very basic trails around BRB and the like. (think more 'around the block jog' than '100m extreme dash')

I found the best value for money bike for this use would be the Axis A70 for R4.5k brand new (2016 model). The fact that they are controlled and owned by Scott bikes I would think that it is a very capable and better quality budget bike. My biggest surprise is that in this price range, you generally find mechanical disks. This bike has hydraulic disks, and it has a lockout fork! (albeit coil).  

http://www.axis-bikes.com/bikes/path-and-trail-series/a70

Any thoughts and/or experiences you care to share?

Regards.

Hi, Judd.

You seem quite set on the Axis. They are generally good entry-level bikes, particularly for people who are unsure whether they want to commit fully to the sport before spending top $ on a bike. 

The components are entry-level, so my best advice would be to manage your expectations. The bike will perform fine, but within limits. For getting fit and cruising around the 'burbs and along smooth district roads, it'll be fine. 

Pretty much what Odinson said,good entry level,value for money bike.

I have a friend who has done over 1500km's on his A70.The bike has performed well,but the entry level gears have been limiting at times.

Bottom line is if you want to get into cycling and constraint by budget,this is a really good way to do it.

I had the A80. I changed pretty much everything on it except the frame. Didn't keep up once I got into the sport.

I hear your issue with the XL frame. However, R5k would get a pretty sweet 2nd hand bike.

Thanks for the reply guys! Look, I am 24 years young. I will be earning better money once my career kicks off so I am not phased about having to buy a new bike in 2-3 years time.

What I am after is no thrills, good quality and core valued fun on a mtb. Something which I think this might be able to offer me. After all, I am sure right now skills would hold me back a lot quicker than components would.

If anyone does find a 2nd hand XL mtb for sale, do let me know. Otherwise, I think this should be the one for me.

Would still like to hear from more experienced Mtb riders

Thanks for the ads guys! it appears Murphey has made me look like an idiot with all these new XL ads.  :whistling:

A question on that Giant. With it Being 4 years old now, what would be the negatives of buying an old bike?

I guess it depends on use and how well it was maintained. I bought a Trek 6000 for a bargain, it was well ridden but well maintained. Ive had it for 5 months and have ridden it a lot, I have had zero failures so I guess it all depends.

I guess it depends on use and how well it was maintained. I bought a Trek 6000 for a bargain, it was well ridden but well maintained. Ive had it for 5 months and have ridden it a lot, I have had zero failures so I guess it all depends.

Thank you. Look, I know mtb as much as google and sites like these allow me. However, buying 2nd hand is a different ball park altogether. How do you go about checking if the bike is damaged or not?

Guy in our neighborhood rides an Axis - not sure which model, but it does have an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. What I do know is he has been riding it for a couple of years and weigh very much North of 100k's.

He loves his bike. Have it serviced once a year and race everything from the Argus road to Die Burger MTB on it. Have bumped into him once or twice while out riding Bottelary Hill trails. He's always interested in what I'm riding that week and always jokes about how his old faithful just keeps going and doesn't get why we spend the money we spend on bikes when his just keeps going. 

Only one guy, but should tell you enough. 

Edit: Have to add that his bike looks very well looked after so I reckon he takes care of his stuff. I'm sure that helps.

Thank you. Look, I know mtb as much as google and sites like these allow me. However, buying 2nd hand is a different ball park altogether. How do you go about checking if the bike is damaged or not?

if you haven't got a mate who knows about bikes to check it out for you  (which is best)

then post the info about it and your pics or the link to the ad and let the resident forum give an opinion on wether its a good deal etc

or ask the seller if you (or he or both of you) can take it to a bike shop and ask the resident LBS mec to give an opinion (if they are a decent LBS they wont mind)

you really can get good deals on used bikes (with better forks and components) if you are patient and ask for advice before you buy

Edited by kaimeracycles