Psst.. wanna buy a cheap power meter?

Rocket Man

Got an IDEA for a low cost power meter that fits onto standard cranks between the spider and the chain rings. Basically you take the rings off, bolt the "power disc" onto the spider then put the rings back on but rotated slightly. Easy to install and swop between bikes. 

Will work on road and track bikes and has an accuracy of better than 1%. There are no batteries in the power part - only the display. Doesn't require recalibrating.

It normally displays the power but it can also download a detailed profile of your pedaling stroke. It doesn't need any fancy software to view the data - it produces a text file that will import into Excel to let you keep records and draw whatever graphs you want.

Is anyone interested? How much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aruba ?? Shouldn't that be Eureka

Rocket Man
Rookie
Rookie 

What was the edit for? I personally liked the giant SRM picLOL

Was taking up "Bandwidth"

What I actually need to start the project is:

1. Enthusiasm - my job is developing new products and I want to try something cycling related (but it's very hard work).

2. An idea of how many could be sold and at what price. I don't care if it's two or two thousand pieces but I'm not going to make just one for myself.

3. Input from interested cyclists and trainers - that's why I'm talking to you hubbers.

The biggest mistake that designers make is building something that they want to build rather than talking to the people who know what is really needed.

I need as much input as possible from as many people as possible - not just cyclists but everything from machinists to graphic designers to software developers to sales people. If we can get the right resources together we may be able to make a useful device. But I have no illusions about making any money from it.

What I actually need to start the project is:

1. Enthusiasm - my job is developing new products and I want to try something cycling related (but it's very hard work).

2. An idea of how many could be sold and at what price. I don't care if it's two or two thousand pieces but I'm not going to make just one for myself.

3. Input from interested cyclists and trainers - that's why I'm talking to you hubbers.

The biggest mistake that designers make is building something that they want to build rather than talking to the people who know what is really needed.

I need as much input as possible from as many people as possible - not just cyclists but everything from machinists to graphic designers to software developers to sales people. If we can get the right resources together we may be able to make a useful device. But I have no illusions about making any money from it.

Raaaiiit !

Owbout one that can be transfered from the bike to running shoes and speedo?

Now there's a challenge to your "Enthusiasm"