Advice on new semi-beginner's bike.

Riaan_DP

Hi all

I was introduced to mountain biking by a work colleague about 8 months ago and fell in love with the sport. Around that time I went and bought myself a new 2015 Specialized Rockhopper and have been having a blast. As I've been gaining confidence I've been riding the bike increasingly harder. It has now reached a point where I feel I need to upgrade, especially due to the fork which is an entry level Suntour XCT.

I really enjoy trail riding, bailing down rocky descents, the occasional jumping etc, but I do not currently have the budget to buy a Stump Jumper or equivalent that's probably more geared towards this.

I am looking for some advice on 29er bikes I can look at in the 13/15K range that will at least provide as good a quality frame as the Rockhopper as well as a better fork (and hopefully some other hardware improvements as well). It looks like the next Specialized upgrade would be the Crave, but at 18K falls just out of my budget.

I am quite happy with a hard-tail, so a rear suspension is not a requirement.

I've considered upgrading the fork and wheels on my Rockhopper, but so far all advice points to selling it and buying a new bike.

Regards

Riaan

Edited by Riaan_DP

Hi Riaan,

Welcome to Bike Hub. In your price range I would cast my net wider than just Specialized. They make great bikes, but at the lower end there are several brands that offer great bikes for good money.

Titan, Silverback, Giant, Momsen, Rapid (? don't know their range that well) and Merida are all good brands worth looking at. With 2016 just getting started, chances are there will be some clearance specials on 2015 bikes at shops in your area. 

I've had a quick look in the classifieds (have a look HERE) and it looks like you will be able to get some deals there as well. Using the filters help narrowing it down. 

On your next purchase make sure you get a bike with an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. 

Welcome.

I agree with Iwan, there are many other options to look at.

My mountain bike is a Specialized which I love, but at the cheap less expensive end of their spectrum you can get far better components off the shelf on another brand.

Merida, Silverback and Giant always come up in list of quality and affordability. (Don't rule out the other brands he listed, the ones I mentioned I just think I see mentioned more often)

I think everybody I know that has gotten into riding in the last year or so is on a Silverback because of the price and the components they got for it.

You should be spoilt for choice at the moment with people offering deals on all those 2015 models taking up their space.

I see your profile says you are in Gauteng, if you are more central, you should go see Anton at Summit Cycles in Midrand. He stocks Silverback, and he will give you solid advice as well as great pricing.

As you enjoy trail riding then perhaps you could also look at the 650b wheel sizes, some great trail bikes in this range.

Also consider test riding a duel suspension bike, especially for trail riding as it will make a big difference to your ride.

You have already fallen into the trap. A new, more expensive bike is not the miraculous ingredient that will make you a better cyclist. You will be spending R15k now and in a year's time, that bike won't be good enough. You will then want to spend R30k and so the cycle goes till you are extending your bond in the belief that a R120k bike is a must.

Buying a new bike in your price range will get you better components and a more plush fork, but the difference will be minimal to what you currently have.

Keep the bike you have for another year. This will allow you time to improve your skills and save up for something really nice.

I agree, the XCT fork is not the best. If it really bothers you, ride it till starts to fall apart, then buy something better. You can upgrade the other components too as you go along.

Thanks for all the input so far and @Longbarn Killer, especially thanks for your candour. Should I decide to upgrade I'll definitely expand my horizons beyond Specialized.

For what its worth... I bought a Momsen new for less than your budget with crest wheels and Rockshox reba and decent components. Have a look around. They are out there