Stages Cycling is the power meter supplier to Team Sky for 2016

News bot

Stages Cycling is pleased to announce its continued supply of power meters to the defending Tour de France champions, Team Sky, in 2016. This next year represents the third season in which Team Sky will ride Stages Power, further solidifying the manufacturer’s position at the top of the power measurement category.

Click here to view the article

I find it odd that someone like Froome would be happy with one sided power measuring. Especially for somebody focusing on climbing he would need accurate measuring on both legs. Just wondering.....

I find it odd that someone like Froome would be happy with one sided power measuring. Especially for somebody focusing on climbing he would need accurate measuring on both legs. Just wondering.....

What most people don't understand is that almost all of the crank based meters are one sided measuring devices. They are simply able to less accurately measure the other side via estimation of force, despite the strain gauges only being on one side of the device. SRM, power2max, etc are all one sided. They just display the opposite side. I think pioneer is the only truly double sided meter on the market (despite recovering athletes on team sky using prototype dual sided stages meters). Even power2max executives have admitted that "dual sided" measurement is simply a marketing scheme and that one sided is all that is necessary. Let's also not forget that SRM has constantly denied any use for a two sided measuring power meter, and that they will not pursue development of such.

I had a power2max, and all that meter does is put your mind at ease that you're not lopsided. Since I know that now, I've switched to stages as it's far less issue, much more stealth, and astheticaly pleasing. Add to that the revised design on the new pods and they're a pretty remarkable package. And the power measurement is just as reliable for the everyday rider, and clearly for the Pro riders too.

What most people don't understand is that almost all of the crank based meters are one sided measuring devices. They are simply able to less accurately measure the other side via estimation of force, despite the strain gauges only being on one side of the device. SRM, power2max, etc are all one sided. They just display the opposite side. I think pioneer is the only truly double sided meter on the market (despite recovering athletes on team sky using prototype dual sided stages meters). Even power2max executives have admitted that "dual sided" measurement is simply a marketing scheme and that one sided is all that is necessary. Let's also not forget that SRM has constantly denied any use for a two sided measuring power meter, and that they will not pursue development of such.

I had a power2max, and all that meter does is put your mind at ease that you're not lopsided. Since I know that now, I've switched to stages as it's far less issue, much more stealth, and astheticaly pleasing. Add to that the revised design on the new pods and they're a pretty remarkable package. And the power measurement is just as reliable for the everyday rider, and clearly for the Pro riders too.

Thanks for sharing!! Probably one of the best answers I have received to a question on hub

• 1 month later...

Have used this and is very interrresting. Yet with too many gadgets comes to many numbers. Its valuable only when your really understand what the numbers mean to you specifically

The way that you are stating it it sound like you are saying that all of them just measure one leg and estimates the other. So just to clarify, all powermeters that measure from the spider onwards to the hub, measures both legs power output, or total power supplied to the wheel. If they offer a reading that displays left/right balance, then that is only estimated, basically the total that it measures is devised in 2 with a ratio calculated by the amount of force applied in a certain area around you pedaling circle.

So, SRM, P2M, Quarq, powertap (blades and hub) and of coarse dual sided pedals like garmin, powertap, pioneer, gives the most accurate reading of your true amount of power put out. Stages isnt as accurate on that metric, but does give a constant reading, at say 2% below what the others will show. Interestingly, someone like Froome would have a lower % of deviation, because he has a higher cadence, meaning that the force measured has a smaller effect on the Watts number.

Edited by JA-Q001